Scams for which Fodors is not responsible

Dec 21st, 1999, 06:50 AM
whistler

Scams for which Fodors is not responsible

At the risk of sounding like another paranoid poster, I want to alert Fodorites to a few things related to using the Web for travel arrangements, questions, plans.

First: I was recently contacted as a "travel expert" based on some comments made here, foolishly, under my own email name, with an offer to become both a resource and an investor in a new website. They wanted my money and the use of my name as an "expert." Since my husband's been approached with comparable scams in another field, I knew enough to decline -- especially since any site listing ME as an expert is, for sure, a fraud!

Second, it is becoming increasingly possible to trace, follow, etc. who goes where on the net and have one's phone number, even unlisted, made available to market research and direct marketers. We recently received a solicitation phone call at our unlisted number that could only have been obtained through one of a very few websites I've used to book travel arrangements. There's nothing you can do about that, I suspect (other than never doing business on-line, which is pretty hard), but DO be aware and think about this each time you give a Web business home contact information.

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:27 AM
Audrey

I too was sent an e-mail asking me to become a "travel expert" on Maine because of my postings here.

Dec 21st, 1999, 09:47 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'm no Sam Hempell (sorry sam - I enjoy your writing but just couldn't resist) but I got the same solicitation last year and was absolutely certain that it was a scam the minute I read it.

Dec 21st, 1999, 10:22 AM
Charlie

Hi this is your Hawaiian expert from ALLEXPERTS.COM ,jeez just when I thought I was smart or something !

Dec 21st, 1999, 11:22 AM
Kanika P. Chopra

Dear Whistler and other Fodors.com forums users,

Thank you for alerting us to the fact that spammers and solicitors looking to increase their traffic and/or site value have approached you.
With your help, we would like to contact these institutions that have been soliciting you at your inconvenience and ensure that they cease bothering you.

We would like to send out a request to all of our forum users who have been approached by allexperts.com and other similar websites to forward us any spam you have received. At your convenience, you may send this to our staff email: [email protected].

We at Fodors.com respect the privacy rights of our users and would like to ensure that our forums are as safe and enjoyable to you as possible.

Best wishes for a happy holiday season and safe New Year!

Sincerely,

Kanika P. Chopra
Associate Producer
Fodors.com

Dec 21st, 1999, 12:14 PM
Cheryl Z.

Thanks Kanika...
I too was emailed about being a "Seattle expert" - I just politely declined. This was several months ago, and I can't remember their name or address though. It did occur to me tho that there may be some naive posters here on this Forum that would be flattered and say yes, and then get in over their heads financially or otherwise.

Dec 23rd, 1999, 08:30 AM
topper

... to the top (and something else to the bottom) ...

Dec 26th, 1999, 08:08 PM
traveler

Thanks for the warnings! I will be more careful about using my real email in the future.

Jan 3rd, 2000, 04:59 AM
B.Watchful

And to the top again...always worth noting