honeymoon in the capital

Nov 3rd, 1999, 04:46 PM
Michael

honeymoon in the capital

Anyone have any suggestions for hotels, meals, tours, etc. for a honeymoon in June in Washington D.C. Anything romantic in D.C., Baltimore, Northern Virginia would be great!!! Thanks for any help.

Nov 3rd, 1999, 05:09 PM
Martha

THEEEEE place is the Inn at Little Washington in Virginia-- but for June better book now. It's 5-star everything -- the meal of your life in a wonderful setting in the foothills of the Shenandoahs, about 90 in. from DC.

In DC itself, stay at the Willard or the Mayflower. Eat at the Old Angler's Inn (HOPE it's still there).

You might also look around old Ellicott City for romantic and quaint.

Nov 4th, 1999, 11:20 AM
lisa

Go to the top of the Hotel Washington for drinks at sunset -- there is an open-air rooftop cafe with a fantastic view of the city. Get there early to avoid having to wait in line for a table. They generally don't take reservations (although you could call ahead and try -- and tell them it's your honeymoon -- they did that for me once on my birthday). If you're a guest of the hotel and they know it's your honeymoon maybe they would save you a good table near the edge. The food here is casual -- you're better off going elsewhere for dinner so I just like to do pre-dinner cocktails (or after-dinner drinks) there.

I have heard only incredible things about the food and service in the restaurant at the Inn at Little Washington, but have heard the accommodations are terribly overpriced and not so outstanding, and the service in the "Inn" not up to the standards of the restaurant. There are lots of wonderful bed and breakfasts and historic inns elsewhere in Virginia though -- try http://www.bnb-n-va.com/

My boyfriend recently had a very disappointing meal on business at the Old Angler's Inn -- said the food was average, the prices high, and the service neglectful. Maybe that was an aberration though, and that area is nice, near Great Falls.

In the city, my favorite place for dinner is Cashion's Eat Place on Columbia Road between 18th & 19th Streets NW (Adams Morgan neighborhood). They have outdoor seating when the weather's nice. Call for a reservation a week or so in advance and tell them you're on your honeymoon. Order the halibut, curried mussels, or roasted duck breast and you can't go wrong. Save room for dessert. The menu emphasizes fresh ingredients that are in-season and changes regularly.

Another place, with pretty good food and a very romantic setting, is the Tabard Inn on N Street near 17th St. NW -- the food is a bit overpriced in my opinion, but the setting is lovely -- some seating in a nice garden courtyard and lots of little rooms with nooks and crannies to get lost in. I have never stayed overnight there but I always thought it would be kind of a neat place to stay.

I have also heard good things about the Morrison Clark Inn, here in DC, and it certainly looks wonderful from the outside, but it's not in such a great neighborhood.

The restaurant 2 Quail near Capitol Hill has delicious food and a romantic, funky ambience. Again, tell them you're on your honeymoon when you make the reservation.

I would also recommend Restaurant Nora for a splurge -- she uses all organic ingredients and the food is top notch. Its near Dupont Circle. Its website -- which includes menus, wine lists, etc. is http://www.noras.com/

Another place with a lovely setting is Sequoia in Georgetown on the waterfront overlooking the Potomac. It has outdoor seating as well. The food isn't as good as the setting but it's not bad. The servers are very knowledgable about the menu -- twice they have steered me away from the crab cakes, saying they weren't "the best" -- and they were right (I tasted a friend's on another visit).

Since you're on your honeymoon, I'd splurge and stay at the Four Seasons in Georgetown.

Take a tour of the monuments at night.

Nov 4th, 1999, 11:23 AM
kam

Absolutely agree with the Inn at Little Washington, if not to stay, at least for a fabulous meal. Alexandria is romantic, I think, and Metro close to D.C. Farther still in eastern Maryland is the Inn at Perry Cabin in Easton, MD. Very romantic with lots of Laura Ashley etc. In the district, I think the old Mayflower would be my pick for a honeymoon. Be sure to have a quiet dinner at the 1789 in Georgetown and brunch at Clude's on M street. Be sure to make your reservations now--be aware that there are a lot of universities in D.C. and then in June the tourists begin. Congratulations and have fun.

Nov 4th, 1999, 11:29 AM
martha python

Yes yes yes to Cashion's and 1789. Also good in Georgetown is Citronelle.
Much of my fancy restaurant knowledge is like people's knowledge of UFOs ("Well, I've never seen one, but this friend of my cousin's said the guy next door....")
Anyway, friends of mine raved about Lespinasse. Other friends who ate at the Inn at Little Washington liked the food but said the wine list was overpriced. Still, if you can't splurge on your honeymoon, when can you?
If all the fancy first class stuff starts to overwhelm you, there's always lunch at CF Folks.

Nov 4th, 1999, 11:38 AM
ilisa

Morrison Clark Inn is lovely, and the food is wonderful, though as Lisa said, it isn't in the greatest neighborhood. I haven't stayed there, but my office went there for lunch last year. If you go, you can't leave without trying their lemon chess pie. Yum! The Ashby Inn in Paris, Virginia is also a lovely, quiet place to stay.

Dec 26th, 1999, 06:32 PM
mike

thank you for your advice. I am thinking that we are going to drive from Boston, spend one night in new york, onenight in philly, and then four or five days in DC. I think we want to stay in the city for a good amount of the time and it seems that DuPont Circle is a great place to stay. Any ideas on Philadelphia lodging and sites? thanks for all the advice. take care

Dec 30th, 1999, 09:20 PM
Joy in Virginia

There was a review in local paper (Richmond, VA) today of Keswick Hall. It is near Charlottesville, about 2-3 hours drive south of DC. A very fancy plantation home now done up as an exclusive hotel / restaurant. The reviewer (whose recommendations are accurate) LOVED eating here. The dinner is fixed-price of $58, with alcohol being extra, it was wonderful & sounded very romantic & special. The hall is very expensive to stay at but worth every penny from what I have heard. (Just in case you drive a bit further south)

Dec 31st, 1999, 10:41 AM
KJohnson

I would second the Inn at Little Washington for dinner. I agree that staying overnight is not worth the money. We stayed at Farleigh Farms (sp?) a B&B on the edge of "Little Washington" that was very nice. There are also a number of other very nice B&Bs in town. In my opinion, dinner is worth the money--but for Saturday nights I believe it is now $128 per person (without wine). Thus without wine you are already at $300 with tip--wine brings you nearer the $400 range. For a real splurge, you could hire a Limo to take you back and forth from D.C. and enjoy the beautiful country side with a bottle of champagne.

If the prices at Inn at Little Washington are a little hard to take, try L'Auberge Chez Fracois. It has romance and a great food. It is about 10-15 miles outside of D.C. in Great Falls VA.

For both L'Auberge and Inn at Little Washington book in advance. It used to be that L'Auberge would not take reservations until two weeks before your meal and you had to call exactly at that time if you wanted to get reservations. I don't know if that is still their policy or if it still that popular.

Check out the January Washingtonian which has their annual "100 best restaurants." I don't always agree with them, (i.e. I think Galileo is overrated) but their "blue ribbon" **** award winners are: Inn at Little Washington, Galileo, Kinkead's and Vidalia.

The Prime Rib is also a "classic" Washington power restaurant. It has a jazz combo and "old style" service. Maybe not romantic, but I would classify it as a "can't miss".

Old Angler may have some "romance" but both times I have been there the food was sub-par.

Two Quail is romantic and the food is good but not outstanding. However, if you are on "the Hill" it is probably a good choice although I like La Brasserie better. La Colline is the best restaurant on "the Hill" but it is too big to be "romantic".

Obelisk in DuPont Circle is very nice.

The food and the atmosphere at the Bombay Club is great--it is truly an elegant place.

Kinkead's is my favorite D.C. restaurant--and they do have some quiet tables away from the "bustle"

I would agree with the Hotel Washington at sunset for drinks is a can't miss.

I believe that the Watergate advertises rooms for as low as $139 a night. However, I would agree that the Willard is probably the more romantic. The Henley Park Hotel is another suggestion. It is reasonable ($110 a night), has a beautiful bar and often has a jazz trio.
I've always thought that the restraunt in the hotel Couer De Lion was romantic and one of the most underrated in Washington.

Have a great time.

Jan 3rd, 2000, 06:41 AM
Michael

Thanks for the ideas. It is fabulous to have an insiders take on the places to go and see. Thanks so much!!!!! Although I do not think a honeymoon could get more special, all the help in planning is much appreciated.