Search

savannah hotel pick

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
savannah hotel pick

my husband, daughter(15),son(11) & I are going to Savannah this July(5 days-1st trip). We live in Tampa. I've decided against a B&B because we have children with us. I would like a very nice hotel with a swimming pool. The Hyatt is booked. How inconvient is the Westin? Why hasn't fodor's rated the Marriott Riverside? Between the Marriott, Westin, Mulberry which one would you pick? I'm leaning towards the Mulberry Inn because for the same price as a riverview at the Marriott I can get a room with a seperate bedroom (like Embassy suites). I haven't checked on the Westin yet. Which is better, the view of seperate room? Which has a better pool? Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:33 AM
OliveOyl

rahjmh...we live in Tampa too, but came here from Savannah. My husband ran the Hyatt there, and runs the Grand Hyatt here. I think you are transposing the Savannah Marriott's name with the Marriott here. Here it is Marriott Waterside, but in Savannah it is Marriott Riverfront, not riverside.

If pools are what interest you, just as well Hyatt is booked. Theirs was inside and seemed like an afterthought...really the only thing negative I would say about that hotel!! Between that and the Marriott, however, Hyatt was considered to be the better hotel and Mulberry on down the list some. Mulberry is cute though and an unusually good Holiday Inn. Only thing is...I can't remember their pool.

Marriott has two pools, one inside in the lobby area, and the 2nd one outside. Westin has one outside facing the river and theirs is by far the nicest. It is also the newest hotel and the decor is lovely. When we go back, we stay at the Hyatt of course, but have visited the Westin and I really do love the decor. We peeked in some of the rooms...very nice, white duvets, Heavenly beds etc. It is across the river though, which necessitates either driving over the bridge which is out of the way as the exit you take to get to the historic district dumps you onto the south end of the district and you have to drive back up to the river. If you take the water taxi, word has it that their schedule hasn't been exactly like clockwork. I couldn't say. That hotel has opened since we left, but some of the reports here have complained about that aspect of the hotel.

Between Marriott, Westin and Mulberry, I'd definitely take the Westin first, then Marriott. In either of those you do want river front rooms. It is worth any extra. Truly the only drawback to the Westin is the water taxi situation, but if you can deal with that, you would love the hotel. The pool area is large and lovely, MUCH better than Marriott's pool.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info.
I am new at using this website and it is great. I always purchase the fodors books on every vacation we've taken and would not go on a vacation without one.
Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:13 AM

The Mulberry has more "Old Savannah" charm although the rooms are probably not as updated as your other choices. I didn't use the pool when I was there but it looked fairly plain and a little small.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Vette4Paris

Am I correct in thinking the Westin is across the river from down Savannah and the Historic Section, thus somewhat inconvenient? Wouldn't you need to use a boat service everytime you wanted to go anyplace? I looked at Westin one time, and it looked pretty desolate sitting over there by itself. I'd take a look at a few other places before settling on Westin. What about Marriott - isn't that more convenient being at the end of Bay Street downtown?

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:11 AM

There is a Hampton Inn in historic district. It has rooftop pool with incredible views of river and breakfast buffet is good (or so say my husband and son who were there in April looking at a college)
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:55 AM
GoTravel

The Westin is right across the river and it is beautiful. I've stayed there twice because the Hyatt was booked. Great pool, great rooms, wonderful service. The water taxi only takes a couple of minutes to get across the river and if you miss the boat, a cab is only a couple of dollars and takes about 5 minutes.

Even though it is across the river, the location is not a hassle.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Vette4Paris

The Hampton Inn is indeed a wonderful suggesion. It's conveniently located on East Bay Street, near the Hyatt and Marriott, and just a block from the Historic District. It is also only a few blocks from Congress Street where there are numerous restuarnts, clubs and an outdoor area of galleries, much and dancing - the center of Savannah.

With all due respect, I've looked at the Westin and its very isolated location across a rather large river, and it is simply inconvenient compared to the other hotels. No one should have to take a boat, or a taxi across the bridge upstream, everytime you want to go someplace.

Stay on the Savannah side of the river, and you'll find it much more convenient for you and your family.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:01 PM

I would suggest marriot as well but westin is newer and nicer. Even though it is across the river you need not worry. They have water taxis that go back and forth from the hotel to savannah.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 03:45 PM

There was some discussion on this board in late winter/early spring when we were investigating Savannah hotel - we chose Hampton Inn over some of the nicer hotels which require water shuttles since several people had complaints about unreliability of water shuttles, esp. later at night.