Savannah GA - HELP what to see and do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of a side trip as we will be staying near Jacksonville visiting family. We were thinking of spending one night maybe two. Is one night plus two days enough time? We like to do tours to explore the area and would welcome any ideas. Where should we stay? I am going to try to get Westin on Priceline, any other ideas would be appreciated. Will be there during the week. Thank you
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Looking for some unique restaurants as well
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM

On Priceline, you cannot request what hotel you receive - it is the luck of the draw. The Westin is a great hotel although it is separated from Savannah by a short bridge. The Hyatt is also quite nice and is right in the middle of the Riverwalk. I stayed at the Marriott which I enjoyed - it is located at the end of the Riverwalk. The walk is quite nice though, you walk past the waving girl statue along the way.

As for things to do, two days should be sufficient. See Forsyth Park, the beautiful homes around the historic district, shop along the Riverwalk and be sure to sample some fudge or a praline, have lunch in the City Market etc. You may even wish to see Bonaventure cemetary and other sights from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:24 AM

I liked the trolley tour. I was told (not sure if it's accurate) that their content is all the same so it doesn't matter which trolley line you choose. Anyway, they take you through town and you can usually add admission to one or more museums/historical homes. Very informative and a nice way to see the city.

There are several great restaurants in Savannah. I will recommend one -- the Pink House. Has a long history and serves local delicacies, including the crispy fish.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM

If you like souhtern food, you will be enjoy Mrs Wilkes Boarding House. The food is served family style and it is only open for lunch. The line starts forming early and will be out the door down the block before 12 noon; so get there early. $14.00 all you can eat; it has been featured on the food network, and it is also profiled in the book 1000 places you must see before you die.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I like Savannah but how about Fernandina Beach (FL) or St. Mary's (GA) instead? Less of a drive and I thought the town of Fernandina was one of the prettiest I've seen in a long time. St. Mary's is charming.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM

The AAA guidebook and www.chowhound.com
are helpful references for Savannah.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:42 AM

We enjoyed a relatively new (open less than a year) called Gottleibs.