Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Savannah/Charleston restaurants require coat/tie for men?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will my DH need coat/tie for restaurants in Savannah or Charleston? I sure hope not because we travel light & it doesn't include 'dress' clothes esp. for him. Dockers/golf type shirt are it for him. I can dress up more w/black slacks/dressy top/jacket. Will we be ok? We don't go to the very best(expensive) places but do like a nice dinner. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM

Most of the restaruants in both Savannah and Charleston do not require a coat/tie. Dress clothes are perfectly fine. Try the Saphire Grill, Garabaldies for the Crispy Broiled Flounder. The best places to eat are not on River Street. The exception is the Oyster Bar from 4-7. Half price oysters and cold beer. Best in Savannah.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM

In Savannah, you may want to try Vic's on the River, the Pirates' House, or for something casual but intimate Firefly Cafe. Bar-b-cue favorites are Sweet Leaf Smokery & Eatery (Abercorn & Huntingdon), which is casual or Johnny Harris Restaurant (with no-jacket dining for lunch or in the kitchen). If you like casual leisure, try the self-catering River Street Villas overlooking River Street -- www.riverstreetvillas.com (formerly Sea Cabins).
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM

He can certainly get by without a jacket and tie. But, my husband always brings both. A jacket is handy, anyway, because most places are overcooled indoors (and, often, the plane), and a tie can be easily tucked into a pocket.

And, my husband knows I think he looks so much nicer and will benefit from my appreciation.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:49 AM

<when we were in Charleston and Savannah last Sept it was so hot that the majority of the diners wore shorts.Paul
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM

To answer your question: No.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM

No jackets required any of the places we ate in Savannah last September. Agree with the above recommendation for Vic's on the River. We loved lunch at Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House (go early). If you like Italian food, you might try Il Posticcio’s. We had planned to go to the Pink House, where my husband probably would have worn a jacket, but sadly we never got there.

Can't help with Charleston, we haven't been there yet.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM

In Savannah, Dockers and golf shirts would be fine. Perhaps if you were to go to Elizabeth's on 37th at night, he might feel more comfortable with a coat.

Skip the baggy shorts, tank tops and flip-flops just on general principles.