Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston & Savannah Does my husband need a coat and tie?

Oct 12th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi we're leaving for Charleston and Savannah for a week this week! In deciding what to pack we were wondering if he needs a coat and tie for some of the nicer restaurants or would nice slacks and a sweater with a black leather or suede jacket be appropriate?
We're from casual L.A. and most everything is appropriate here! Just thought maybe the south is a bit more formal.
Thanks for a quick reply!
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:26 AM

Just visited both places this past spring. I don't remember any of the fine dining places requiring a tie and jacket. we went "dressy casual" to all of them. Have fun - lots to do in both places!
Oct 13th, 2003, 04:26 AM
OliveOyl

Leather/suede would be fine, but might be a little warm for Savannah this time of year. At Elizabeths, Pink House or 45 South in Savannah, most locals would wear a jacket with nice slacks, but a tie is not necessary. I doubt you'd be turned away without a jacket as many tourists arrive without one, but if you had your choice of clothes, a jacket would be most appropriate. Same rule of thumb for the better restaurants in Charleston.

If you don't plan on going to one of these, then you won't need a jacket as the city is otherwise very, very, casual, especially the tourism side. You'll see virtually anything and everything walking around town.

Oct 13th, 2003, 08:22 AM
OliveOyl

topping for Compumom

Oct 13th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Have your hubs pack a navy blazer and khaki slax-- no need for a tie, but a jacket will be the "norm" in a lot of the upscale restaurants....

Oct 15th, 2003, 01:05 AM

"the norm"? the best part about Savannah is there is no such thing as normal
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:13 AM

My guess is that Andy was referring to Charleston restaurants. If so, he is correct, most upscale restaurants do expect the men to wear a jacket.
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:24 AM
HelenZass

You most certainly will wish to pack a jacket for hubby. The two towns, while small, do possess a certain formal flair. I believe the expression is dress up. Do save informal wear for the daytime.

Oct 24th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Just returned and wanted to give a quick update here. No restaurants in Charleston required a coat for gentlemen except the Woodlands which is 20-30 minutes outside town. We didn't take the time to dine there, so much to do and see in town. We did dine at Circa 1886, Peninsula Grill, Hank's, Snob and Cypress. None required a coat, and while we saw some men wearing them, they often looked like locals. Jeans were not reasonable attire and khaki's or nice slacks were appropriate. Since hubby only owns one cashmere blazer and a suit for his casual lifstyle here in Los Angeles we went with a very lightweight leather jacket, nice sweaters and dress slacks. It was fine.
Savannah was the same. You saw every mode of dress in both towns-from sequins (rarely) to baseball cap and jean like pants!
Nov 30th, 2003, 04:14 AM

I live in Savannah and work at a hotel.
Savannah is so laid back, you won't be turned away if you don't dress up. Elizabeth's on 37th is the only place that I would absolutely dress up. This is a party city so no one blinks an eye.