Sarasota summer weather and lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, What is the weather like in late July in Sarasota? Is it a good time to visit? I'd like to find a reasonable 1 bedroom place to stay in the Sarasota area. My husband and I are interested in history, quaint eating places, off-the-beaten path drives so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much. We have never been to the area before.

Nancy
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:28 AM

July is HOT, HOT, HOT!. Although temperatures will mainly be in the 80's and 90's, it seems hotter because of very high humidity. Normally you can count on an almost daily afternoon rainstorm with a real deluge. It seems this might cool things off, but I generally find it only makes it steamier. The good side is that it usually clears away by early evening and you will have spectacular sunsets.

On the other hand, you are wise to do most of your activities in the morning and evening -- stay off the beach in the heat of the day.

You will enjoy the Ringling house and Museum. There is a quaint eating and shopping area called Burns Court near downtown, and a fun outdoor cafe in a "tacky" antiques garden called "The Alley Cat Cafe just off Fruitville Road near downtown. See the Marie Selby Gardens.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:33 AM
adeewebstr

Unfortunately, the Alley Cat is closing (may have done so already). Two other areas with interesting restaurants are Hillview Street/Osprey (near Sarasota Hospital) and - oddly enough - around Gulf Gate Mall. We just went to a very nice, tiny bistro-style French restaurant there. There's also an English tearoom that my boys love! Ringling and Selby Gardens are musts. You might want to go to Mote Marine Laboratory, too - an active research station that has wonderful exhibits/tanks.

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Nancy, are you looking for a hotel or an apartment? As hotels go, I like the Longboat Key Hilton.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:38 AM

It will be HOT!!!!!

http://www.siestakeychamber.com/
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:06 AM
LN

Sure it can be really hot but mornings and evenings can be fun.

Try looking at VRBO.com they have many condos for rent in the area and Longboat Key, Siesta Key, and Anna Maria Island are really pleasant - probably a bit more so than inland in Sarasota. Places would be much cheaper then.

Try the Marie Selby Gardens, the Ringley home and museum, the Mote Marine Aquarium (really great) Myakka State Park (you do see alligators there) You can also get up to Tampa/St Pete area very easily and you can get to the Dali Museum and their great Cuban area.

The restaurants on Main St in Sarasota are fairly inexpensive. A cheap place for seafood is "Old Salty Dog" on City Island - near the Mote Marine.

Enjoy
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think the weather will be too for me during the summer. I think we'll for to Maine instead. We definitely want to go to Sarasota, but will go when it's cooler. What is a really good month to go? We really enjoy being outside so want to go when the weather is mild.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think the weather will be too for me during the summer. I think we'll for to Maine instead. We definitely want to go to Sarasota, but will go when it's cooler. What is a really good month to go? We really enjoy being outside so want to go when the weather is mild. Nancy
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:34 PM

It gets hot from about June through September. Rest of the year is perfect to occasional cooler weather. We do get cold fronts that come through from Dec through Feb, but nothing really bad. The absolute best months would be March and April, but it's also the busiest time of the year. The accomodations are expensive and in most cases reserved months ahead.
Also I like to clarify my previous post. It does get hot in the summer, but if you do stay on one of the barrier islands, it is bearable as we get a nice cooling Gulf breeze and I'm sure the Atlantic side gets the same. What I don't understand is how, the many tourists choose Orlando in August. There, it really does get unbearably hot.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:16 AM

IMHO, the month of November and the first couple of weeks in December is a great time to visit Florida. Also, the last couple of weeks of April and the month of May. Off season with far less crowds. Temperatures are moderate with a lot less humidity.
October is also a great month to visit if you don't want to deal with the crowds, but it can still be warm and humid then.
The month of March is my favorite Florida weather month. Unfortunately, everyone else seems to think so as well.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:44 AM

Actually I always tell people the best time to come to Florida is after Easter to early May. You're guaranteed warm weather, rarely super hot and humid. Early December can be fine, but you do risk the chance of cold and/or rainy weather.

adeewebstr, that's sad news about Alley Cat. I had planned on taking friends there for a Saturday lunch in a couple weeks when we go up from Naples for a show at Asolo. Any other good downtown to north outdoor recommendations with fun/nice atmosphere (preferably not out on St. Armands)?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:13 AM

Patrick,

I believe you will enjoy Divino Restaurant and Wine Bar on Main Street- 330-9393.

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:54 AM
adeewebstr

I second Patrick - right after Easter is a great time to come, at least for Bradenton/Anna Maria. All our snowbirds head home for Easter, rates come down, the weather is reliably warm, and it's too early for the threat of a hurricane. I assume Sarasota's snowbirds are on the same schedule. October is also a good time to visit.

Patrick - I'm afraid I'm not much help on an outdoor restaurant near the Aslo. Let me know what you try.