Sarasota Restaurants

Search

Sarasota Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sarasota Restaurants

We're vacationing in Sarasota next month. What are your recommendations for the best places to eat in the area? We're interested in all price ranges. We like just about anything as long as it's fresh and well-prepared. Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:19 AM

I read some good Sarasota dining reviews on www.igougo.com. Here's the link: http://www.igougo.com/planning/Journ...ID=1849&Mode=3 -- In particular, Marina Jack's, Sea Horse Grill, and The Columbia (if you want to venture into Tampa/St. Pete) are all recommended. Personally, I used to vacation with my family in Siesta Key. It's been years and years, so I don't recall the names of any of the restaurants, but Siesta Key is also worth checking out. Oh, I just remembered the name of a casual seafood restaurant popular with locals. It was called Sneaky Pete's. Have fun.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:24 AM
OliveOyl

There is a Columbia in Sarasota as well, St. Armands Circle. Frankly I'm not a big fan of any of of the Columbias...Sarasota, St Pete, or Tampa.

I do have two recs for Sarasota...Beach Bistro and Michaels.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM

The Beach Bistro on Anna Maria Island is great, however, pricey. Sarasota also has a new Ritz Carlton with a 5 star dining room. The Columbia Rest. and Carlie's Crab on St. Armands Circle are my personal favorites.

Have Fun and catch a Cincinnati Reds spring training at Ed Smith Stadium.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Michael's has a couple of restaurants, with Michael's on East being the best of them -- and quite good. I think the Columbia in Sarasota is actually pretty good FOR LUNCH. Their chopped salad is wonderful and you could live on that fresh Cuban bread.
I love lunch also in good weather in the very funky garden at Alley Cat Cafe, which has excellent food.
Ephemia Haye still gets rave reviews, but I haven't been there in ages.
And the Sunday brunch buffet at The Colony on Longboat Key is fantastic.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Some think Michael's is overrated. I loved the Summer House -- lovely ambiance, wonderful service, and decent-to-outstanding food.

For more suggestions, M_Martin, do a search on "Sarasota restaurants" and you'll find almost the identical question in at least one other recent thread.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Pie at Sugar & Spice. Lobster bisque at Cafe On The Bay. Casual at Hungry Fox or Hemingway's on St Armand's. Grouper sandwich at Cha Cha Coconut's on St Armand's ar some of our favorites.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Patrick is correct. I totally forgot about Alley Cat Cafe. My parents took me there thre years ago and it is extremely cool. It is so hidden and secluded you feel that you are on a tropical island. Very cool.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:24 PM

well, Patrick and I are on the same page once again. I love the Columbia for lunch. Their 1905 salad (is that the name?) is very good and a perfect light lunch. Great people watching as well.

I like Michael's on East but always remember an amusing Thanksgiving dinner there when I think about my meals there. You'd have to search for the post but it was quite a memorable meal in many ways.

I like the food at Euphemia Hay and I think everyone should make the drive up to Anna Maria and do the Beach Bistro for a sunset dinner that is quite romantic...on the beach, right on the beach...
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:40 PM
LN

Hi

Here's a couple of my favorites - for really good Italian - Cafe Baci in South Sarasota - Pattigeorge on Longboat Key - pretty upscale owned by the same people as Michael's on east. Hemingway's on St Armands - I really have never had a bad meal here - always good!! A place on Main St - Victoria's (I believe) really great! Fantastic grouper sandwiches in a little restaurant by Mote Marine on City Island. And if you belong to the Moose - you won't see a prettier sunset than at the Moose lodge on Bradenton Beach. All other great ones have been covered by Misfoodie and Patrick.