Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa monica pier worth a couple hours??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a few hours on Sat afternoon. Thinking of taking our sons ages 13 and 15 to Santa Monica pier from our hotel in LAX for a couple hours. They won't be getting any other ride time in this trip as we will be getting on a cruise. I have read the pier is pretty dumpy and not to go after dark. Any opinions out there?? Thanks
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:14 PM

It wouldn't be my first choice but sure, you could fill a couple hours there. Lots of movies and tv scenes have been filmed there (theres a list somewhere on line,...) and there are other amusements, souvenir shoppes, cafes, too. You'll find some interesting people watching too...not quite like venice tho...
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM
tcl

I've never really cared for Santa Monica pier because the beach doesn't seem that great to me. I would prefer to go to Malibu or to Laguna Beach (in Orange County). The area at Third Street Promenade is pretty interesting on Friday and Saturday nights, but I guess that won't help you since you'll be there on Sat. afternoon.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:02 PM

In this day of high tech super amusement parks and extreme sports for kids, I think Santa Monica Pier provides a rather humble experience for teens. A whole lot better than 2 hours in an airport, but not really worth a huge effort just to get there, either.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM

A couple of hours on the pier? That's stretching it, as far as I'm concerned. Except that during the day you can rent bikes or skates and go for miles either direction on the concrete paths through the beach. That's pretty neat.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like the pier. The Sting was filmed there; Inside Daisy Clover was filmed there; the Merry Go Round is always a laugh; Rusty's has decent food and local bands in the evening and pool in the back. It makes a nice stroll during the day; the other little rides at the amusement park are okay, but the ferris wheel is nice to get a good view of the coastline. There's also a large arcade there, if your kids are into that (whose aren't?!).
Down from the pier along the boardwalk is the ORIGINAL hot dog on a stick stand, which is across from the place that USED to be "Muscle Beach" -- where all the muscle men worked out (they moved it many years ago to Venice).

Walking down from the Pier, you're right at Santa Monica Place and the Third Street Promenade. So, when you get bored on the pier, there's some great walking and shopping areas. If you head down Ocean Avenue north, head away from the ocean at Santa Monica Blvd., and you can stop in Ye Olde King's Head for a drink and really good fish & chips. This is the place where a good many of our English ex-pats hang out.

Bottom line: plenty to do.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I forgot to add -- Patrick's comment about renting bikes there is a great idea. There's nothing better than riding the bikepath along the sand, as the waves roll in.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM

I have to agree with most of the posters. I booked the JW Marriott for the beach and the Pier and wished I hadn't. The Pier was really disappointing to us. The amusement park was closed off for some private party but it's pretty small and unimpressive. I think there is one restaurant towards the end of the pier that didn't look that exciting either. It's been in movies, other than that you won't really see anything that they don't have at nearly every other tourist destination or Pier.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM

I was very much looking forward to seeing the pier and hoped for an old-fashioned Coney Island-type experience. You can easily see all of the attractions on the pier (all crammed together) in 10 minutes. I agree with the other posters that it is very disappointing. I think the boys would enjoy Venice Beach or, perhaps, something touristy like Hollywood? If you just want to walk on the beach and sightsee the beautiful people and check out some surf shops (teenagers seem to like to do those things), Manhattan Beach is very close to LAX and could be fun for your family.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM

I like the pier. But I wouldn't just go this far from LAX to see the pier. The pier is just kind of a cheesy, scenic pier. Great views of the ocean. But the entire area where it is located, Santa MOnica is my favorite area in LA. I love strolling Ocean Ave and the Third Street Promenade. Great shopping and dining and people watching. Also love strolling the park just above the pier. There is so much to see in the whole area. But if you only have a few hours, I think there are closer beach areas to explore.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I thought the pier was fine. A little touristy maybe, but I'm sure two younger boys will find it enjoyable. There are a few rides, and some games and video game rooms. May not be too much fun for adults but for kids I'm sure it will beat the heck out of sitting at LAX. Plus the ferris wheel gives some great views of the Pacific and Santa Monica!