Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Fe...trip report part one(restaurants)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the recommendations that we received for our Santa Fe trip, especially DebitNM and Beachgirl.

We flew into ABQ on Memorial Day and stayed five nights at the Hilton Plaza in Santa Fe.
First stop was the Ore House on the Plaza for their charred tomato salsa and margaritas. My DH and I had two rounds of Margaritas and an appetizer of the 3 salsas...charred tomato, house salsa and a lime avacado. We waited for a table on the balcony for about 10 minutes, would not do that again. Way overpriced...we paid $70.00 including tip for 3 better brand margaritas and one house (awful tasting house margarita). It definitely is a tourist trap. The charred salsa was good, bought a 16 oz jar back $9.00.
That night dinner was at Cafe Pasqual's. We had reservations for 7PM which is a must, always a line. I had the chicken mole enchiladas,chile relleno,and tamal...just awesome, my husband who is not an adventurous eater had the ribeye,garlic mashed and asparagus which was also great. Had a bottle of merlot no appetizer, salad or dessert and our total was $132.00 including tip. Every penny was worth it!!

Tuesday we took the High Road to Taos.
Taos..lunch at Eske's Brew Pub and Eatery.
DH had a club sandwich, ham,turkey,bacon on a beer battered bread, he loved it.
I had a burrito with ground turkey, beans and topped with green chile stew. I have a new passion (green chile). That was a great lunch. Ate outside on the patio.

Dinner was back in Santa Fe at the Cowgirl Club..no reservations, waited about 10-15 minutes at the bar. DH ordered the BBQ Sampler (brisket,ribs,chicken,beans,coleslaw and potato salad) Way too much food. Good but nothing to write home about. I had the Shrimp Tamale appetizer which was also good and I helped him with his food. $39.00 including tip and 4 beers. Cheapest evening meal all week.

Wed...took the Turquoise Trail, ate lunch at the Mine Shaft Tavern in Madrid. DH had a regular hamburger and I had the green chile hamburger. Great burgers..we got there about 11:30 and the place was almost full by noon.
Dinner that night was at the Santa Cafe, reservations 7Pm on the patio. DH had the pork chop, sweet potato, and broccoli rabe. I had the shrimp and spinach dumpling appetizer and for my entree the chile relleno. It was just wonderful. Just like Giada on the food network had. What a blend of flavors. Copied the receipe and will try to make it at home. $109.00 with tip and 4 drinks.

Thursday...Breakfast at Tia Sophia's
I had the breakfast burrito (just like Giada) with bacon and hashbrowns and red and green chile. DH had the blueberry pancakes...get the drift, not too keen on trying anything new. But both items were great. Love the green chile..and it really wasn't too hot at all. $18.00 with tip. Waited for about 5 minutes for a table.

Dinner 7PM reservations at IL Piatto.
appetizers..Lobster tomato cream soup for DH
and I had the squash blossom with goat cheese. Wonderful, my husband even tried a bite of the squash blossom and he even thought it was great. For entree I had the pumpkin ravioli with pinenuts and DH had the shrimp scampi rissoto. This was my husband's best dinner. Mine was great but I would order his next time. Split a piece of the tiramasu...$121.00 including tip and 4 drinks. I usually have white wine and he has a vodka tonic.

Friday...took the Jemez Mt Trail.
Lunch...Laughing Lizard's Cafe in Jemez Springs. DH had the chicken strips and fries which was a special and I had the Spinach burrito, filled with beans, mushrooms, squash, and cheese with green chiles. and a side of salsa for topping. $40.00 with tip and 4 beers. It was great..sat on their patio.

Dinner that night 7PM at La Casa Sena.
Appetizers crab cake..and a mussels, shrimp, calamari in a wine and pesto sauce. That could of been a meal in itself. Wonderful, ate every bit of it though.
DH had the tenderloin with potatoes and I had their signature dish which is trout baked in adobe clay. Was that ever good!! and a neat presentation. It comes out in the clay and they break it open tableside. The fish is wrapped in a banana leaf and served over pesto risotto and a sauce. Our most expensive meal...$201.00 with tip and 4 drinks.

I wish I could experience more of the resturants in Santa Fe. So many to choose from. I have a new fondness for green chile and mole sauce.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I accidentally hit the post button before I was done. Was going to add that my best meal was a toss-up between Cafe Pasqual's and La Casa Sena and the chile relleno at Santacafe coming in pretty darn close to being a 3 way tie. Again thanks to all for the great recommendations, would love to take another trip to Santa Fe in the near future. Sorry that this became so long and hopefully not too boring for you.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the great reviews. I am adding them to my research packet for my trip in September. I'm especially glad to see the prices - unfortunately this will be an issue on the trip as we can only do one really nice meal.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Hi Julie, So glad you had a great time in Santa Fe! And love your report -- all about the food! I wanted to do one from this last trip as we made an effort to get out of our box and try new places as well.

Yes, The Ore House is a touristy place. But its just one of the last places in the plaza that is the same from many moons ago. ( Its all changing so much.) I usually get the silver coin or whatever the Herradura Silver margarita is. Its not cheap, I know that!! But hanging out on the patio and people watching in the plaza is good and smelling that pinon burning is fabulous.

I had a burrito with ground turkey, beans and topped with green chile stew. I have a new passion (green chile).

LOL! Loved reading that! Welcome to our club!
You're hooked now!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Sounds like a great trip, Julie. Sigh..... charred tomato salsa.... maybe next year.

When in September are you going, Postal (hmmm... that didn't sound quite right ;-) )? If it's during the Wine & Chile Fiesta, you might plan a winemaker's dinner for that one special meal. My wife and I did Mondavi's at SantaCafe last fall. I've got tears in my eyes remembering it. Or maybe better yet, forego the special meal for the finale event, the Grand Wine and Food Tasting (or something like that). Great fun. http://www.santafewineandchile.org/
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Postal, this is the website for the Santa Fe Reporter's Best of Santa Fe -- the restaurant section. You can click on the names of the restaurants and will give you their website at the bottom if they have one. If so, check out the menu and prices.

http://tinyurl.com/2vq6d4

If you have questions for restaurants don't hesitate to ask. We have eaten our way through Santa Fe more times than I can mention!

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:51 PM

>>I had a burrito with ground turkey, beans and topped with green chile stew. I have a new passion (green chile). <<

A worthy passion, indeed! I'm glad you had a good trip, and am looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM

Thank you for all the great info. I'll be in Santa Fe in Mid-September, staying at El Farolito. I can't wait to eat - I mean SEE - Santa Fe!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM

Hello all! Just because we are on the topic of restaurants, and I love finding new places to eat in Santa Fe and the surrounding area, I thought I'd suggest this website I recently found to everyone. They have a remarkably extensive list of restaurant in Santa Fe as well as all the menus (which is my favorite part about it). The site is www.santafelunch.com. I highly recommend it.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Thanks new mexico girl and Lee Ann. I'm chairing a meeting of 65 people Sept. 23-26 at the Hotel Santa Fe and am sending the restaurant website to all our attendees.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
dmlove

Martym, we stayed at the Hotel Santa Fe last June. There's a really terrific place across the street and down a few blocks (towards the square) called Cafe Dominic, just really nice atmosphere and delicious food. Also, Cowgirl Hall of Fame (also fun, very casual, good food) is walking distance. I'd recommend both.