Santa Fe..trip report ..part 2.. side trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrived in ABQ on Monday afternoon (Memorial Day). Flew with NW, no problems. Took I-25 to Santa Fe where we stayed at the Hilton Plaza for 5 nights. Used our Hilton points so got all the nights free. One bad thing is they charge for parking, $15.00 per day. Great location though,walking distance to all the restaurants where we ate. We had a comfortable room, updated, clean. Friendly, helpful staff, esp. conceirge Jane, who helped us every day with directions on leaving the city for all our day trips.

Tuesday...Took the High Road to Taos, visited Sancturary de Chimayo. Ate lunch in Taos...see dining report.
Taos Pueblo..$10.00 entry fee and $5.00 camera fee. took a 20 minute tour which was included in fee.
Then continued on the Enchanted Circle beautiful scenery through small towns, Angel Fire and Red River. Stopped at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge,
making our way back to Santa Fe. This took the better part of a whole day.

Wednesday...drove the Turqoise Trail stopping in Madrid for lunch. Took the Sandia Peak Tram ride $17.50 Adult $15.50 Senior price. What an experience...OMG, I am afraid of heights, but I went, it took me awhile before I made up my mind to go. I know my husband wanted to so I just forced myself. It is so high, over 10,000 feet. The wind was blowing so hard towards the top that it really was swaying the tram. Unbelievable views from the top!! I was glad that I did it.

Thursday...took a city tour of Santa Fe which was 1 1/2 hours long. $30.00 for two. We were glad we did that to get an overview. they took us to Canyon Road and we got to see some gallerys, otherwise we aren't into that sort of thing. I went into the Georgia O'Keefe Museum...interesting but not my cup of tea. $8.00 for one. DH went to get a couple of beers while I did this.

Friday...Stopped at White Rock Overlook, on the way to Bandelier National Monument. This is a must see, great views from the overlook. Next- Bandelier...$12.00 per car $1.00 for map. We took the Main Loop Trail, 1 1/4 mile long. Stayed about 1 1/2 hours. climbed the ladder up to see the living area of the Pueblo people. Next took the Jemez Mt Trail stopped in Jemez Springs for lunch. Saw Red Rocks and then took a detour off of I-25 to see Tent Rocks National Monument...$5.00per car. Beware...about a 2 mile gravel, bumpy road prior to seeing the monument. Very Cool, I am glad we went, the mts look like teepees. Didn't walk any trails, just took pictures, by this time we had enough, we were tired and thirsty. Besides there was warnings of rattlesnakes before you started your hike...so we took the high road and got out of there.DH is very afraid of snakes...Took a few pictures and made our way back to Santa Fe.

Saturday...time to go home had a 2PM flight. We had a great time. Could of stayed one more day to relax around the pool. We did lots of driving on this trip we put on close to 800 miles. But that's what a sightseeing vacation should be right? I loved the scenery, weather was perfect. High 70's low 80's every day and no rain. Loved the food. fell in love with the green chile. (see dining report). Santa Fe in one city that we would return to. Its on the top of the list for sure.

See my report on restaurants and food a couple days ago, for all of our meals.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Wow, Julie, you guys didn't sit still, did ya! But you were able to see many of the attractions in the area. Yes, Santa Fe will bring you back again and again. We're heading out in another week.

Looking forward to reading your food report! Doncha luv those green chiles!!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM

You guys packed a lot in! Thanks for the trip report.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Beachgirl...I posted my food report of Santa Fe a while back. I think it was on June 18 or so. Give it a look.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt