Santa Fe on a budget?

Search

Santa Fe on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Fe on a budget?

What is the best time to visit Santa Fe to get good deals? Any tips on flying there? The airfare from Cincinnati seems to be outrageous. Are there any cities near Santa Fe that one can fly into cheaper?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 12:13 PM

You should fly into Albuquerque and drive from there. Try Southwest Airlines.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Santa Fe has an opera, and when there is a performance the city fills up and the hotel rates become exorbitant. I'm sure this might be the case during other events in the city. I know the opera runs during the summer, just don't know how long.

Check it out. Definitely fly into Albuquerque then drive the hour or so to Santa Fe. Be sure to check out Taos, another hour away -- and take the high road to Taos for some beautiful scenery and vistas.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Yep, fly into ABQ. It's only an hour away, and Southwest flies there. The rooms in Santa Fe get cheaper as you go farther from the Plaza. I'm guessing that you may get better hotel deals combined with okay weather in mid-autumn and early May, but I don't know when the opera is playing. You might take a look at a AAA guide to see when the busy season is. Remember, Santa Fe is at about 7000 feet elevation, so it's relatively cool in the summer and has freezing nights from October to May.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Garretts Desert Inn is about 2 blocks from the plaza and around 100 a night even in the high seasons. It is nothing fancy, but it's clean and reasonably priced and is in a great location. Across the street from the Pink Adobe, down the street from the Guadalupe Cafe, a short walk to Canyon Street and a block away from the Loretto Chapel. It is a 10+ minute walk to Georgia O'Keefe and the Art Museums, closer to the Cathedral and shops.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Jayne1973

Here's another vote for Garrett's Desert Inn if you want to be in the middle of everything Santa Fe on a budget. I think fall is probably a good time to get a bargain. If you go further away from the plaza, check out El Rey Inn on Cerrillos -- very charming and free breakfast. Fly into Albuquerque, rent a car and take the Turquoise Trail (I think that's highway 14) into Santa Fe for a more unique drive than the Interstate.