Santa Barbara Hotels - help me choose please

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Barbara Hotels - help me choose please

I will be attending a wedding in Santa Barbara at the end of the month and am trying to choose an hotel. I would welcome any experiences with the following hotels.

Hotel Santa Barbara
The Eagle Inn
The Monecito del Mar
Hotel Andalucia
Hotel Oceana

Many thanks for your input.

Best regards Ger
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM

The Eagle Inn is very nice, Montecito Del Mar is a total dump.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:15 PM
minnie17

Hi Ger,
The Hotel Santa Barbara is in a very lively area downtown, a couple block from the beachfront.
Hotel Andalucia has Just recently opened. It is in the mid downtown area. Easy walking distance to shops and restaurants.
I have never heard of Hotel Oceana, is it possibly new? It is not listed in the local phone book.
I live here, so haven't had the need to stay at any of these hotels. So I can't recommend one way or another, except by location. Is there a specific area of town you want to be in?
minnie.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM

We recently enjoyed our stay at the Harbor View Inn, have you considered it? www.harborviewinnsb.com Very nice location, restaurant, pool, jacuzzi, beautiful grounds.

minnie, the Hotel Oceana is just a few doors down from the Harbor View, www.hoteloceanasantabarbara.com I've seen it featured in Coastal Living a few times over the past three years or so. ***kim***
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM

The Radisson on Cabrillo St is nice and in a great location. It is right across the street from the beach.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice guys.

My TA managed to get me a good rate at the Andalucia ($145) so for now I have reserved it. The Hotel Santa Barbara still looks tempting .....

Kimamon - the Harbour View looks delightful, but is twice the price

Minnie: I will be in Santa Barara for a long weekend atttending my nephew's wedding. Watch out - over 50 people are flying in from Dublin for the occasion I'll be posting re SHOPPING later and hope you can help

regards Ger
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Ger, sounds like my kind of wedding...have a great time!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
minnie17

Hi Ger,
The Andalucia Hotel got a very nice write-up in Sunset Magazine today. The hotel looks lovely. The room price was quoted at $325. You obviously got a great deal!
With all your Irish family coming, are you looking for an Irish Pub? You might want to try Dargan's Irish Pub and Restaurant.
Enjoy your time here!
minnie.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Minnie & Judyrem:

I am surprised at rate myself, but my TA always gets me these great deals on hotels that are far cheaper than the hotel websites and Expedia etc. I am NOT complaining and I promise to write a full repot when I return.

Most of the 50 from Dublin are his school chums, so I am sure they will be need of a good pint after such a long flight. I will pass this on. I'll be pretending that I am not with them and sipping wonderful California wines in some nice bistro

I wonder how the US customs & immigration officials will deal with 50 Irish, many of them stropy rugby-playing lads, all attending a wedding??? I DO hope the boys behave themselves.

Regards Ger
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Ger, we were lucky, I got a room on a Sun. night at the Harbor View for $205/night with breakfast for two included in the price. Our room was a King/Oceanview/Balcony, just lovely! ***kim***
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM

Hi Oreilly,
I'm eager to hear if you ever liked the Andalucia!!!

I got a rate of $269 for a weekend in May. Curious to know if it's worth it!

Thanks,
Dina