Santa Barbara hotel recs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to go to SB with a bunch of girls (20-30's) - girls weekend away in late April. We live in LA/OC, so we're not going there for the first time... but wanted some recs on where to stay. We'll be sharing rooms, so anything less than $350/night is acceptable. We plan to do some wine tasting, some pampering, and just hanging out and going out at night. Preferably someplace close to the downtown SB, I'm assuming. Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
hsv

I happen to like the Four Seasons Biltmore. It is an older property and some claim it is not one of the best properties of that chain, but then it just oozes charm and has pretty good service. It also overlooks the Ocean, separted from it only by a small and not that much frquented street.
It is not walking distance to downtown, though, but rather in the Montecito area.

Apart from that, fellow Fodorite kimamom recently gave a pretty favorable review of the Harbor View Inn. This one would be located overlooking the harbor (surprise!) and absolutely walking distance to State St. which makes for the main strolling area in downtown. I have not stayed there, though, so cannot comment on its quality personally.

kimamom's trip report can be found at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...arbor+View+Inn

Should you go wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley, I strongly recommend Arthur Earl's tasting room in Los Olivos.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM

The Four Season is gorgeous! ***kim***
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:51 PM

I've been having trouble with my posts going through all day on this site!

Yes, we loved the Harbor View Inn and would stay there again. My first choice would be the Four Seasons, tho.

Arthur Earl was wonderful, a very small boutique winery. We also enjoyed the Gainey wines very much and our dinner at the Los Olivos Cafe. You will love SB! ***kim***
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:14 PM
minnie17

Hi Simone,
I would not recommend the Biltmore. It is a very nice hotel, but very spendy. They really cater to the older crowd. Nice restaurant, but no night life to speak of.(Although, running into celebraties is always a good possibility)
Also, beware that some rooms back up to the railroad tracks.
Any of the Hotels along Cabrillo Blvd would be preferable IMO. Fun area, better located, walking distance to State Street, and the Wharf.
minnie.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Not to worry kim your posts are ALL going through just fine.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Yes, the Biltmore is very pricey! We received an excellent rate at the Harbor View Inn for Sun. night. An oceanview king room with balcony and breakfast was around $200/night. ***kim***