Search

Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Barbara

Hi

Been searching for various places in the board and have pretty much seen no negative comments on Santa Barbara - any good ideas of accomodation there for about 5 nights - for a honeymoon?

Thanks

Martin
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:26 PM

My husband and I go there every summer; can't get enought of it. We always stay at the Biltmore Four Seasons Hotel, in Montecito. We stay in a cottage...not in the regular hotel rooms. It is always dreamy and 5-star. Now, they have a new state of the art health club and spa. Right on the beach. Great walks in the morning.
Also consider San Ysidro Ranch up in the hills in Montecito. Completely different, but they have cottages as well. 5-star property. Thirdly, for glitz, glamour and "newness" try La Bacara Resort just north of SB.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:45 PM

I don't know why people have been negative. IMO it's the nicest place in southern Cal.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Artlover, she said "no negative comments." Everyone agrees with you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harbor View Inn
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:08 PM

You're right, Jean. Guess it was too late at night or I had too much California wine! Just want to add that there's a park in Montecito near the Miramar Hotel (certainly not as nice as the other recommendations, but on the beach and much less expensive) where I used to play tennis that was one of my favorite places in Santa Barbara, but I can't remember the name...anyone?
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:18 PM

I'm hoping to stay at La Bacara in September, so I may have pictures to share.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - I'll check them out.

Bodi - Please let me know what Bacara is like.

Thanks

Martin
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:27 AM

The Eagle Inn is nice. It's an inn/bed & breakfast and they have a honeymoon suite.It's not fancy but it's quaint.
It's within walking distance to downtown, Stearns Wharf and the beach. It's about 2 blocks from the main street across from the beach.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
artlover, the classic Miramar is closed down and all boarded up. Sad to see such a great spot wasting away.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM

The Simpson House Inn is way cool. They have a barn on site that's been converted into some gorgeous rooms. kinda pricey, but great location.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM

That is just the most beautiful city. We visited several years ago, and I still remember it vividly.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Bacara is a nouveau-riche resort about 15 miles north of the city. Nothing about the property lives up to the prices - avoid.

FS is great - makes no difference whether it's a cottage or main. Rooms are very similar. Bear in mind that the train passes with a couple hundred yards of the hotel, and you can hear and feel it - esp. in cottage rooms. Some people like it, other not. Beach is nice to walk on, but ocean is cold.

FWIW, we stayed there on our wedding night.

San Ysidro is up in hills, about 10 minutes to Ocean. Lovely gardens and views, gets a very hollywood clientele.

Enjoy.

Coachboy
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:44 PM

clarkgriswold,
Oh, that is SO SAD! I have so many good memories there (at the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference). I guess things change...not always for the best (but surely someone will buy this place in the wonderful setting and renovate it and make it into the lovely place it once was.)
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Sorry but I must disagree with Coachboy about the Bacara. I am staying at the resort as I type this (in an "executive suite") and it is quite extraordinary. The service is outstanding, the physical plant is gorgeous and extremely well maintained, and the spa is wonderful. Granted, you pay for it, but I have found it rare to find such a perfect setting and property. Please note, as we didn't know this until we arrived, it's about 15 minutes drive north of Santa Barbara downtown.

Have fun!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:58 PM
PMB

Ian Schlaeger bought the old Miramar intending to rennovate it. He tore a lot of it down and then ran into financial trouble with his W hotels. So now it sits, all torn up, and a complete eyesore.