Santa Barbara with a toddler, Help!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Debbie

Santa Barbara with a toddler, Help!

We are going to Santa Barbara for 3 nights with our daughter who will be just under 3. I was in Santa Barbara years ago and I know it's not really a kid's destination, but this is for a wedding so we are all going. (on to San Diego and many fun kids things after) There is no main hotel for wedding guests so I am trying to make a decision about where to stay. I would love to stay at the Bacara, but I'm not sure it's a great place for kids. Any suggestions? I am considering the Santa Barbara Inn and the Hotel Oceana. I'm also thinking about the Four Seasons. I would like a hotel on the beach since playing on the beach and relaxing is a favorite for our family. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:44 PM
ttt

Just topped an older posting about some SB resorts.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Debbie

Thanks for topping the other post. I guess that answered that about Bacara. Now I just need to find a great place to stay.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:24 PM
mare

Harbor View Inn seems to be the favorite of many. Definitely do not choose the Santa Barbara Inn as it is nowhere near as nice as the others you mention.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:18 PM
sandy

Debbie,
I would recommend the Four Seasons as they are great with children. Also you may want to consider the Fess Parker Doubletree resort. It is adjacent to a great park called Chase Palm Park. They have a carousel among other things. They are across the street from the beach and have larger than average rooms. They have bike and surrey rentals from the property as well.
The Santa Barbara Inn is kind of noisy if you get a room facing the street, also no pool.
Santa Barbara does have a really cute little zoo that would be fun. I think you'll have a great time.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Holly

Debbie,

Actually, you'd be surprised at how kid-friendly Santa Barbara is these days (coming from a resident with 2 kids aged 2.5 & 4.5). "Sandy" above was correct in listing both the Four Seasons and the Doubletree as family-friendly and worth considering. Both have a great location near the beach, but the Doubletree is closer to town. Not only is the Doubletree directly across from the beach, but it's close to Chase Palm Park (a fairly new park across from the beach with a carousel, a sand-play area, and a playground), and it is also very near the zoo. The Zoo, in my opinion, is one of the best places to spend time with a toddler; it's fairly small so the exhibits are one right after another... no long walks between seeing animals... you could literally see everything in the zoo in a couple hours easily; it also has a great lawn for picnics, and a nice playground area. It has a very small carousel (nothing like the one at Chase Palm Park), but the zoo carousel tends to be closed frequently, so don't count on it.

For one of your meals you might try eating at Be Bop Burgers. It's a few blocks from the beach on State Street, and it's focus is on children. It has a couple of coin-operated ride-ons, and a generally fun-for-kids atmosphere (there are also video games, and a couple of prize games, but I think they'd be too old for your child).

Depending on when you're visiting, there may also be festivals happening here in town (they're frequent, particularly in summer months). The festivals tend to have rides, face-painting, etc; plenty to keep kids (and parents) entertained.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how many things there are to do with a toddler in Santa Barbara in addition to just flying a kite at the beach!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Debbie

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm thrilled to hear of all the things to do with kids and we will certainly be visiting Chase Palm Park, the zoo and Be Bop burgers. I'm checking into the hotels mentioned and definitely skipping the SB Inn and Bacara. Any more hotel information would be great too.