Search

Sanibel Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM
MSS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanibel Trip Report

This is an update of our trip to Sanibel 5 days ago. Missing it already! First, a very hearty THANK YOU to DLN for recommending Sanibel Moorings to us. We stayed in the most beautiful condo we have ever had the pleasure of being in, and the owners were gracious and kind. In our wildest dreams we could not have found a more beautiful place. The landscaping was gorgeous also. I highly recommend this gem to anyone. We have stayed at South Seas and Song of the Sea, with visits to Tween Waters and Casa Ybel, but this place took the prize for us. Only drawback, no room in pool. Lots of kids, but I guess that is to be expected,and great if you have small ones.

Red Tide was fully present and slight odor, especially on swimsuits, but it did not dampen our vacation. Saw no dead fish, nor did we experience respiratory problems. Still swam along with everyone else.

Toured JN Ding Darling Nature Preserve, quite interesting, especially in the AM. Saw many species of birds, a few alligators, and lots of no-see-ums. Oh,and some good sized fish. Also went to the lighthouse fishing pier and talked to the local fisherman and watched them snag their bait. Quite interesting...
Another interesting place, Neptune's Treasures. This guy should have his own museum. Dinosaur eggs for one, plus many rare items and shells. He has an amazing collection of fossils and items from archeological digs. Highly recommend this place for tour, even if you don't buy anything.

Tried the Island Cow (recommend), saw a beautiful sunset, along with a fabulous dinner at Mucky Duck, Matazaluna's was great as usual, Lazy Flamingo had best clam chowder and steamed shrimp, best Key Lime Pie - Tween Waters Inn, Pinocchio's for great Ice Cream....Just to mention a few.

Also highly recommend Captiva Cruises Useppa Island Cruise. Dolphin traveled with us the whole way. Met and walked with most charming lady that lives on island and runs the museum. Very intelligent and shared quite a bit of Useppa's history with us. Feel honored to have met such a charming person.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM
dln

You're welcome, MSS. One beach lover is always ready to point another in a good direction! I had the feeling you'd like the Moorings. Glad you weren't bothered by the red tide. I figure that beaches, unlike pools, are natural, and you've got to take what old Mother Nature dishes out, good with bad!

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Could you please tell me how I can find out more about this condo? We're thinking of staying in Sanibel in November. thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:47 AM

8794403, I was checking it myself so I thought I would post the website for you.

http://www.sanibelmoorings.com/
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:56 AM
dln

If either of you stay there, you will really like it. The grounds are so beautifully kept and the people who run it are a very nice bunch!

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
MSS
Original Poster

I would have to agree and say that there is no way you would "Not" like it here. Absolutely beautiful and I do recommend that you stay on the gulf side and not the bay side which is directly across the street. Can't wait to go back!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:37 PM

How long would you suggest staying in Sanibel for? We have a toddler & are debating staying one week or two. thanks.