Trip Report Anna Maria Island

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report Anna Maria Island

We had a wonderful escape to the beautiful laid back island. Anna Maria is rarely mentioned on fodors but is a real gem . The island is seven miles long and consists of three small communities, Bradenton Beach, Holmes Beach, and Anna Maria City., our favorite. There is no building taller than tree stories, most are two, and there are no chain hotels or restaurants. It is a very laid back place without gated communities and with easy welcoming access to beaches both on the Gulf and on Tampa Bay. The beaches have soft white sand; some are large long beaches with facilities; it is equally possible to find isolated stretches with hardly any people

Activities focus on the water. Shore birds abound, On out first afternoon we saw several great blue herons, millions of pelicans, oystercatchers, egrets, ibis, osprey, a wood stork, many of the little shore birds whose names I don't know. dolphins and manatees can be seen and I enjoy watching mullet jump out of the water.
Anna Maria Island, and especially anna Maria, is relatively uncrowded and affords an Old florida vibe.

We rented a cottage on the bay . It was a real treat as the hexagonal shape of the building afforded vast water views from almost every room. We spent our time walking on the beach, swimming in the bay, watching birds, biking around the island, cooking and eating fish at home and out,
exploring many beaches, staring at the sea and the gorgeous Sunshine Skyway bridge, always a presence in the distance Our favorite restaurant is the quirky Mr. Bones, a rib place that also offers Indian inspired rice dishes.

we had not been to AMI for eight years, and, happily, not much has changed. One great addition is the Anna Maria Fish MArket on Holmes Beach, which in addition to excellent fresh fish and shrimp offers excellent salads to go, such as scallop seviche or calamari salad.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Great report. I haven't been there yet but it sounds amazing!
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the report. We were going to visit AMI for the first time this winter as an alternative to Sanibel where accommodations have gotten so expensive. I was able to find many lovely accommodations that were right on or close to the water--and more affordable than Sanibel. Everyone seems to enjoy the beach there. It looks perfect to me.

We ended up changing our plans when we were invited to a destination wedding in Palm Springs, but we hope to visit next winter. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Linda: We love Anna Maria, and were very disappointed in Sanibel. In Anna Maria city, especially, you are so aware of the water everywhere you go and you don't have to pay to park at beaches, which I find much more beautiful. the only thing Sanibel has imo is shelling, and Ding Darling. But actually birds are much more in evidence everywhere in AMI. And since you can rent houses by the week you can not be limited to condos or cottage communities.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like an absolutely wonderful and perfect vacation.
Did you catch the sunset at the Sandbar? We used to drive over when working in the area. Would love to go back to relax like you did. Thanks for the trip report.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM

AMI is one of my favorite places in Florida (and where many Floridians vacation). It's a great place to kick back and relax. You're right - it is old Florida! Thanks for posting the trip report.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
yk

Oooooooooh! Wish I were there!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Starrs, Sandbar was always too crowded, but we caught many sunsets on various places on the beach!

yk: me too. we came home to still well over a foot of snow and a big washout in part of our driveway. sigh.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for this TR! I'm in Sarasota often visiting my parents and I want to find time to visit AMI. I've heard there's great kayaking. It's definitely on my list.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM

What airport is closest to AM? Where is a great place to stay for a family with kids 5 and under?
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM

I loved reading your report, jubilada. For ages we had family members on Long Boat Key so I have many beautiful memories of Anna Maria Island. It is nice to read it hasn't changed.

The small Sarasota airport would be the closest, signmeup.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

signmeup, although Sarasota airport is definitely closest, Tampa airport is only a little over an hour away and has may more ( and therefore usually cheaper) flight options. Also, you get to drive over the gorgeous Sunshine Skyway bridge, actually worth a trip, IMO.

As to places to stay, it depends on what you like. We prefer to rent our own cottage, there are some condos too, though more in Holmes Beach and Bradenton. We were happy with offerings from Anna Maria Accommodations.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM

A great place to eat - just over the Cortez Ave bridge to the mainland in the fishing village of Cortez- is the Starfish Company. http://www.starfishcompany.com/starf...any/index.html Also, it's a great place to buy seafood to cook at home. Smoked mullet is a specialty - and my favorite.

Also, if you have a rainy day, go see Snooty the manatee at the South Florida Museum. Snooty is turning 62 or 53 in a couple of weeks - the oldest manatee in captivity. He also has a couple of pool mates who are being rehabilitated and will be released into the wild.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 09:54 AM

Transportation from TPA to Anna Maria Island?

Besides a rental car, does anyone have a shuttle or other suggestion for this trip? SuperShuttle does not go to AMI.

Thank you!