Sanibel/Captiva Island

Search

Sanibel/Captiva Island

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanibel/Captiva Island

I hope one or two of you can put my worries at ease. My family and I are scheduled to go to South Seas Resort on Captiva Island June 26th; we are staying for seven nights. My question pertains to the comfort level with the heat and humidity. Whenever I tell someone, I'm leaving in June for Sanibel/Captiva area, they ask me if I'm crazy. I live in Massachusetts, as most of you know it was a horrible winter and the spring hasn't proved to be much better. I really look forward to some sun and warmth, just as long as it's not oppressive. At this point it's too late to cancel, but maybe I can plan activities around the heat. I'm afraid the family will want to inflict bodily injury to me, since it was me that suggested this destination. Due to the fact, that it's our only vacation this year, I feel a lot of pressure.
Thanks in advance.
Jeri
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:04 AM

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the South Seas last Summer. It was hot and humid, but we had a very good time. We had thunderstorms pop up each day but that didn't deter us. Some of the mosquitos after the rains did deter us. Bring bug spray and light clothes to cover you up so that you can be ouside. Each room/suite has a screen porch which was very comfortable. We sat in the shade and swam in the pools. I love it there and always have a good time.
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice on the bug spray.
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:37 AM

I did Palm Beach last July and had a terrific time. The ocean breezes were wonderful. You should expect some comforting Gulf breezes as well. When people told me I was crazy to go to Florida during the summer, I told them it would be hot up and down the Atlantic coast. I just happen to like the Palm Beaches.
Captiva is a great place - as is South Seas. Relax, have a Mai Tai, and have some fun. You mentioned you are taking your family - be sure to take in The Bubble Room. Terrific desserts, fair food, and lots of fun to visit.
Happy Trails,
Paul
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:45 PM

Over the past 11 years we have been to Sanibel during the months of May, June, July, Aug & Sept. It is hot, but we love it so much we really don't care. Our girls are now 16 & 21 and they still don't want to vacation anywhere else. Make sure you check out Ding Darling Wildlife Reguge. Favorite eats are: Mucky Duck in Captiva (go for the sunset), Lazy Flamingo, Cheeburger Cheeburger,Thistle Lodge & Timbers.
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:50 PM

Consider buying the book "Sanibel & Captiva" By Julie & Mike Neal. You can buy it on the island or I ordered mine from Amazon. It is written by Sanibel residents & is full of good info. Do not forget bug spray for the
no-see-ums! You will have a great time.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:13 PM

I live in South Florida, but I hate the heat. However, we were just in Sanibel for a long weekend and had a wonderful time. Watch out for the no-see-ums... bugs you can't see, but they bite you. They come from the mangroves. The beach has a wonderful breeze. Temps will be in the upper 80's and the 90's. Casual attire is accepted just about everywhere, so pack plenty of cool clothes. If you need a good place to eat in Sanibel, I highly recommend The Seafood Factory. The food is fresh & delicious and the wait staff/management are a lot of fun! We went in laughing and had a great time. There are some great shops in Sanibel if you like to shop. We drove up to Captiva and the beaches were picture-perfect. Enjoy your trip.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:18 PM

PS:::: Even though I'm a native Floridian, I got a sunburn the first day, so don't forget to use some good SUNSCREEN, and REAPPLY OFTEN. I'm serious, the sun will burn you before you realize it. If anyone in your family starts looking pink or blushed in the sun, get them covered or out of the sun because it will get redder after you get out of the sun. If you get a sunburn, get anything with ALOE and it will help a lot. If you are careful in the sun, you won't have any problems and will enjoy your trip much more.
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:14 PM

We're just back from Sanibel, where it was already hot. My suggestion would be to go inside in the heat of the day, have a relaxing lunch, read a book, shop, or take a nap. We went out in the morning, then stayed in from about 11 to 3 and came back out in the late afternoon. We also hung out under an umbrella on the beach when it was hot, or stayed in the pool. There's a shell museum (though we didn't go) that you might consider for an indoor afternoon activity on Sanibel. I wanted to agree with the above posters about bug spray and sunscreen. The sun is really hot, and the no see'ums are vicious. We went out early to collect shells, and I had fifty (I counted) no seeum bites in about an hour. We returned to the hotel and purchased some bug repellent and we were fine. Sanibel/Captiva Islands are beautiful! You'll have a great time...it will be hot, but there are so many relaxing activities around and not all of them involve being out in the sun in the hottest part of the day.
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I feel much better now. Common sense, bug spray and SPF is what I'll bank on.