sanibel and area

Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

sanibel and area

going to sanibel in mid feb for 2 weeks. other than the sanibel/captiva/pine island area, where else should we go for day trips?
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM

Once I get on Sanibel, I never want to leave. Sorry ... I can't help you here!
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

You don't mention what you like to do, but how about driving down to Everglades City, taking a boat tour, and enjoying the local seafood?

Keith
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:04 AM

Don't know how far you want to travel, but a day trip to Sarasota and/or Anna Maria island is always interesting. The Ringling museum in Sarasota is worth a few hours, and the Beach Bistro restaurant is worth a lot of eating but is pricey. Good luck.
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
OO

The Edison home in Ft Myers...his home, his labs (fascinating), the grounds are beautiful. That was one of the most enjoyable side trips we had in the area.
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM

If you are a nature lover then maybe a day trip to the Corkscrew Swamp sanctuary outside Naples.

http://www.corkscrew.audubon.org/

Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM

We went to Sarasota and to the Ringling Museum and those amazing Botanical Gardens.
But mostly we just stayed on Sanibel.
Once it rained and we went to a movie theatre around Ft Meyers somewhere and had lunch out .. by dinner time the rain was over and it was beautiful again..
I fondly remember many hours spent shell searching and roaming around Ding Darling .. don't miss that ! and rent a canoe and go around the Reserve that way ..
Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Or for a fun Sunday afternoon. Go to Stan's Idle Hour in Goodland on the south side of Marco Island.

Stan is the owner. He is about 70 and tells jokes and sings. There is a band and lots of silliness. The bar is mostly outdoors, along the
water. There is a large gift shop.

The crowd is mostly retirement age, but it is also fun for people in their 30s and 40s. It is the only bar that I have been in that started the day with the national anthem.

They serve wonderful Buffalo shrimp

Keith
Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM

You could venture down to Naples for a day, spend the afternoon in Olde Naples.

There is a mall called Miramar (outlets and such) that a lot of people enjoy visiting to go shopping. It is off the interstate between Naples and Ft Myers. It's pretty nice as far as outlet malls go.

The Edison home in Ft Myers is a MUST do. I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy that tour.

Those Everglades tours are fun--lots of driving time but usually the guides are entertaining and you do see a lot of interesting things. There is at least one that originates on Sanibel.

Of course you could also go by boat to some of the little keys off of the tip of Captiva. There are several little lunch outings that will take you to those spots.

If the express boat shuttle is still running to the Keys I guess you could do that (?). I moved away from the area so I am not sure if it is still running.

Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM

It is, sanibella.

Keith
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM

Another vote for Naples!
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM

Another suggestion - You could take a drive to Manatee Park, exit 141 off I-75. The manatees like to hang around here in the winter. The water is warmer than the gulf due to the nearby power plants.

I'll second the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary and the Edison House. The Miromar Outlets provides the best shopping in the area.

I've taken a day trip to Sarasota from Naples to visit the Mote Marine Aquarium. If you're an animal person, it's worth a look (and they have a great ice cream shop). You could then swing over to Siesta Key to relax on one of the most beautiful white sand beaches in the US.

A word of advice - try not to get sucked into the "Nature Parks" in the area, like the Shell Factory in Ft Myers. They are sad, private zoos.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM

We're February regulars on Sanibel -- and I must say, I agree with elsimoo!
But on the occasional cool day we have peeled ourselve away and enjoyed Corkscrew sanctuary or a boat ride past the mangroves, out of Everglades City. Fast ferry out of Ft Myers to Key West can be fun, too.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM

SB_Travlr

Is the Key West ferry a party, or is it appropriate for youngsters?

Keith