SanFrancisco Hotel Strike/Hilton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering attending a conference in SF in May that is being held at the Hilton. Does anyone know if the strike is closer to a resolution, or if there are pickets outside the hotel daily? I hate the idea of having to cross a picket line every day to get to the conference.

Tnx. to any SF fodorites out there!!!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Hi Tandoori_Girl, there are no pickets to my knowledge. There has not been much news lately except that the Unions and Management have not settled their disagreements. I have read that some conferences have moved their convetions to hotels out of the area, hotels that are not part of the labor dispute. I would check the SF Chronical website which is: www.sfgate.com as they would be the ones to have any updated news when there is some.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, thanks. I thought you'd have some good advice. The conference has tried to move but it will lose sooo much money and so it will stay at the Hilton.

I just booked my air (only $197.30 rdtrp!) and wondered what hotels are in the vicinity of the Hilton. I'm looking for budget but nothing too shabby. Do you have any suggestions, love? (I think the 60s are back >< )
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Tandoori Girl:

If is the Hilton Union Square-I got it on Priceline last year for &75/night. It's a huge convention style hotel, but clean and convenient. Down the street, there is the King George-smaller European style hotel-paid $65/night. Very helpful staff, room were small but clean.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Tnx. Katie. I will check into both. That rate is cheaper than the rates for hotels the conference has arranged. Guess they didn't check with fodors
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Hi Tandoori_Girl, I haven't checked their rates for a couple of months but you might want to, just for the heck of it, check out the VillaFlorenceHotel which is part of the Kimpton Group(kimpton.com). It is right around the corner from the Hilton also.

That is where I usually stay. So that gives you some choices.

Hope you get some free time during the conference to enjoy some of SF. You will be in the perfect area IMHO.

Take good care. And love your comment about the 60's being back. Too true, LOL.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

My dad lived in St. Helena and is buried there. My sister lives in San Leandro so I've been out that way from time to time. Every now and then there's some convention in SF and I find myself re-discovering the city. I'm looking forward to my trip.

The Villa Florence has $109 rooms. I think I'll try Priceline the day before and see what I come up with. And if that doesn't work I might be sleeping on my sister's couch