SanAntonio and where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at teh Hyatt regency in San Antonio. Can anybody tell me if this is nice place to stay...or is there better ones.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Jayne1973

I stayed there in October through a winning bid on Priceline of about $70, as I recall. It's nice, but very businesslike as far as room decor. It was a great location, right on the riverwalk and close to the Alamo, too. I would hold out for a good rate if you can.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Jayne1973

I stayed there in October through a winning bid on Priceline of about $70, as I recall. It's nice, but very businesslike as far as room decor. It was a great location, right on the riverwalk and close to the Alamo, too.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I do not need a business hotel. Only one with a nice view and ammenities. What hotels can someone suggest?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Check out the Munger hotel right next door to and almost as old as the Alamo. Very historic but up to date hotel.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

is it on the riverfront? That is what we are interested in.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Don

No, the Menger (correct spelling) Hotel isn't right on the river.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I have told a lot of posters here to try the Drury Inn. We stayed there and had a balcony room on the river. Free breakfast too. The elevator lets you out right on the riverwalk.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM

I didn't reply to this originally because I thought you were only interested in the Hyatt. Can't vouch for it....but we stayed at the 4* Marriott Rivercenter in November...nice hotel, exceptional service, nice room, right on the riverwalk and convenient to everything in DT San Antonio. No complaints about it whatsoever, only positives.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Yes, the Hyatt is a nice place to stay. It is on the river, in fact opens right onto the Riverwalk, and through the other side of the lower lobby you can walk to the Alamo. The rooms are nicely furnished, and the restaurant is good for hotel food. If you want a more upscale place, La Mansion del Rio would be the place, but you will pay for it. The Menger is indeed historic, but many of the rooms are showing their age and it is not tight on the river. The Marriott Riverventer (newer) or Riverwalk (older but well maintained) are on the river, would not be bad either, but given the choice I'd go with the Hyatt.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your postings. I have heard great things about the La Mansion del Rio hotel. I will check into that.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Last year we stayed at the Mansion del Rio and loved it. It is right in the middle of the River Walk with balconies and a pool. We were there during Final Four so it was crazy, but the service was good and we really liked it. Our room was smallish, but very clean and comfortable. We couldn't get on the RiverWalk side and were on a street side; it was still a little noisy. Maybe it was the Final Four crowds. This August we stayed at the Marriott. They were kind enough to upgrade us to a suite for free (we had two kids) but the room was a party suite with a lumpy Murphy bed type device. It reeked of cigarettes, and I kept finding ashes and fake fingernails and really gross stuff on the floors by the lamps and sofas I bet a regular room would be less nasty, but who knows? I always meant to complain about this, but after 3 weeks on the road, when we got home I never did follow up.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Gross...who knows what else you would have found if you looked....

I actually think that I am going to stay at La maison. I looked it up on line and it is not too expensive, a little pricy, but not bad. The other hotel that looks nice is the Watermark, the sister hotel to La Maison. it is new and opened in 2003. Looks nice too!!