Reload this Page >

San Jose layoner for 6 hours...suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Doreen

I have a 6 hour layoner in san jose this thursday, in the middle of the day,any suggustions on what to do? I was reading about a mystery house and a flea market, are they good?

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Barb

Doreen,
What do you like to do? I think the Winchester Mystery House is a big tourist trap but some people like it. Unless you are a big flea market fan, I wouldn't bother with that either. If you like techie stuff, the San Jose Tech Museum downtown is very interesting and unique as is the Rosicrucian Museum if you are into ancient Egyptian things. Intel actually has its own museum as well, about 10 min from the airport (Santa Clara on Mission Street)You could probably do all 3 in a 6 hr layover using taxis. You could probably take the trolley back towards the airport, from the tech museum, but I am not sure of the stops.

Personally, I would prefer to go to Los Gatos, just south of San Jose,about 20-25 min from the airport, shop in the little boutiques on North Santa Cruz and have a wonderful lunch at some Calif or French place in that area (A Matter of Taste would be the 1st choice or Tapestry - both on Main Street, or Calif Cafe University ave. I would also take a taxi for efficiency. If you had a car, I would stop at Vasona park in Los Gatos and take a lovely walk around the lake, but it is north of downtown.

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Kathy

The Winchester Mystery House is at least a 10 minute drive from the airport. Check out www.winchestermysteryhouse.com. I haven't been there in ages, but it was interesting. There are movie theatres and lots of shops very close to the Mystery House. Other ways to spend your six-hour layover.

I'm not sure which Flea Market you're talking about. However, the flea market I know about usually operates only on specific days of the week and I don't think Thursday is one of those days.

There's a Rosicrucian Museum (think Egyptian) in San Jose. Try www.rosicrucian.org. It's not too far from the airport, but you'd have to drive there as well. There's also the Tech Museum in downtown San Jose.

Old May 12th, 2002, 09:24 PM
jimbo

kathy=david. Duh.

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Ahbut

Maybe we could get David to take Doreen on a tour of the high-spots, er, HIS list of high spots...

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:43 AM
xx

What's layoner?

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:10 AM
David

Doreen,

Barb and Kathy have given you some great ideas. If you prefer not to have to deal with taxis, I would recommend taking the Light Rail into Downtown San Jose. Pick up the VTA/SJC Airport flyer bus #10, which stops in front of both terminals, and get off at First Street where you can take the Light Rail going south toward Santa Teresa into Downtown.
For access to Center City you can get off at any of the stops from Santa Clara Street to the Convention Center.

In addition to the Tech Museum, there are a number of other museums worth checking out including the San Jose Museum of Art. You will have no trouble finding some great restaurants in the area as well.

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:42 AM
SF

Hop a train and go to SF. Nothing in SJ to see that would take over 5 minutes.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:04 AM
David

Doreen,

Please ignore the childish comments by SF, jimbo, etc.

There is plenty to see here in the city. San Francisco is at least 2 hours away. Not nearly enough time for a 6 hr. layover.