Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One night in San Jose what shouldn't we miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will finish up our San Francisco/Monterey Trip with our final night in San Jose so we can take our teenage daughters to see the Winchester Mystery House. We'll do that in the afternoon and will have the evening in San Jose to hang out and see whatever.

Any ideas for reasonably priced places to eat or other entertainment ideas for a Friday night?

thanks
Mary
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM

The Winchester Mystery House is vastly overblown. Are you certain you want to spend time there?

The Tech Museum downtown is a much better attraction, since this is what Silicon Valley is all about.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going to Stanford university and just walking around. Their Museum has the world's second largest Rodin collection, if you are into art.

As for places to eat, there's lots of places. What kind of food do you like? What price range?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Try Santana Row. I have not been there, but know there are tons of shops and restaurants. I think teenaged daughters would enjoy it.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM

I agree with easytraveler about the Winchester Mystery House. It's quirky and the guides tell apochryphal stories about Mrs. Winchester. But, frankly, it is a tourist trap, pure and simple.

So many better ways to spend your time. I am assuming that you are spending the night at the airport before flying out the next day.

Santana Row in the evening is a good choice, as is the Tech Museum in the afternoon.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM

What time of year are you coming? Do you live near amusement parks/water parks? Depending on the time of year both of those opportunities are near SJ.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM

I think we are pretty unanamous with this - I think that the house itself is interesting and the history of the family is quirky and neat, but the tours of the house are not great. And it is expensive.

The Tech Museum is great though. I love going there. They have a dome IMAX theatre too, which is really cool.

Santana Row is a nice choice for dinner, although a lot of the restaurants are on the pricey side. There are also a ton of restaurants right downtown that you can walk to from the Tech.

For reasonably-priced American food, Tied House, Gordon Biersch, Caper's Loft, and Sonoma Chicken Coop are always a good bet.

Italian - Bella Mia and Il Forniao are good, although a little pricier, but not outrageous - about $30-40/person for 3 courses, not including wine.

Taquerias - La Victoria is great.

Thai - House of Siam has really good food.

Burgers - Peggy Sue's is a 50s-style diner with burgers, sandwiches, and shakes.

Pizza - Amici's Pizza is one of my favorite places for pizza - they also have salads and pasta dishes.

Mediteranean - 71 St Peter is good.

I'm sure others will have some good recommendations as well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM

Your family may also want to check out one of the Elephant Bar restaurants in the area. They have a good mix of items to please most people, good drinks and reasonable prices with a theme atmosphere.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM

Santana Row happens to be right across the street from the Winchester House - and the house is not worth the price of entry, for sure. But Santana Row is great for one night. Tech Museum, yes.

San Jose is not exactly loaded with things for teens to do, but I am pretty sure - having two daughters myself - that Santana Row (and adjacent huge gigantic Westfield Mall across (a different) the street - would make them much happier. You will like Santana Row, too. It's a great place to relax at the end of your vacation. There are nice movie theaters, good shops, and the restaurants were already mentioned. It is very bustling on a Friday night, too - so fun to see what everyone is wearing! You will need reservations for dinner at some places. At others you could just walk in a put in your name - and walk around for an hour until they have a table for you. The Mexican Restaurant is fun.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. My oldest daughter has had a fascination with the Winchester Mystery House since she saw it on a TV special when she was about 10 years old.... so tourist trap or not, I guess we're going. At least we'll have half off coupons.

I"ll have to check the hours on the Tech Museum. That could be a good option if its open into the evening. We'll be there mid July.

Santana Row sounds perfect for the girls. We are staying at Cypress Hotel for the night and driving to SFO in the morning for an 11 am flight home.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions NovMoon. I'll bring them all along. Will likely decide on cuisine based on what we're in the mood for that day.

Are there any places at Santana Row that have live music in an outdoor setting? Anywhere else like that around town that would allow teenagers in?
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM

I am more familiar with downtown than Santana Row, so here are some music recommendations downtown. Someone else can probably give you more information about Santana Row.

Gordon Biersch has an outdoor patio and they have live music sometimes. You can check their site to see what is going on.

Poor House Bistro is a New Orleans-style place just west of downtown near the arena - they have live music on Fridays and Saturdays.

Caper's Loft has jazz on the weekends. I think Paragon in the Montgomery Hotel does too.

All these places are primarily restaurants, so no problems taking the kids.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NovMoon....all of these suggestions look terrific. I'll check their schedules closer in and see who is playing when we'll be there.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM

I love the Winchester Mystery House! Don't let anyone dissuade you. Too bad you won't have time for the Mystery Spot too!

At Stanford, I love the Papua New Guinea Sculpture Garden, and University Ave. is pretty lively on Friday nights. Peninsula Creamery/Fountain is the quintessential Palo Alto institution. I also like Osteria for yummy Italian.

The Stanford Theatre is gorgeous, and if your kids like old movies and a live organ player, that's a possibility.

The Santana Row suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM

I think with a 1/2 off coupon and some interest in the W M House, it'll be fun. Santana Row will have plenty of dining and entertainment options on Friday Night. My faves for dining there are Pizza Antica (also salads, appetizers and pasta), Thea Mediterranean and Sino (Asian Fusion). Valley Fair is across the street with shopping and more dining (California Pizza Kitchen, a good food court and a Cheesecake Factory). On the other side of Hwy 17 on Stevens Creek, is the Falafel Drive In. Order at the counter, eat on picnic tables outside. Yum!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM

I usually like tripping's suggestions and agree wholeheartedly.

However, I wouldn't recommend Sino in Santana Square. Another place with high prices, lots of alchoholic drinks and lousy Asian food.

If you want to have Asian food and are in the Winchester House - Santana Row area, try Khanh's. It's not in Santana Row itself but is across Winchester Avenue on the same side as the theaters and Winchester Mystery House. Prices are reasonable, it's one of the best Vietnamese restaurants in the Greater San Jose area.

The Food Court in Valley Fair isn't bad but no atmosphere. Are your girls "mall babies"? If so, then they'll enjoy Valley Fair, lots of upscale stores.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Hi ET- LOL, I've eaten at Sino twice and liked it. Now that I think of it, it probably wouldn't make sense for teens. The food court was a throw in, if they are in the mall anyway. I've meant to try Khanh's. I still stand by Thea, Pizza Antica and the Falafel Drive In.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Also, downtown Campbell is a quick (10 minutes maybe), drive from the WM house. I like Aqui's, Sonoma Chicken Coop, and Stacks for breakfast.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm making a list.

Also was wondering about San Jose's Japantown.....what is around there? We will be visiting San Francisco's Japantown during our trip because our daughter is very into all things Japanese. Is it worth a visit to SJ's or would it pale by comparison to SF's Japantown?

Our younger daughter is definately a "mall baby" with big dollar taste while the older one is more into thrift stores and has more eclectic tastes.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Nobody mentioned the Rosecrucian Museum. It has one of the most amazing displays of Egyptian artifacts anywhere, complete with several mummies and an Egyptian tomb that you can walk through.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM

For thrift stores, the Willow Glen neighborhood has 2 or 3 interesting ones. Maybe more vintage shop style than thrift stores.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Japantown isn't much to see. It is a couple of blocks with some Japanese restaurants on them, but it is pretty boring as a tourist area. Even the one in SF is pretty dull, imho. Nothing at all like Chinatown, which is busy, crowded, throbbing with life.

If you do go to the Mystery House I hope you will give us an honest report - how does it rate compared to your expectations as well as our opinions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -