San Fransisco Hotels/Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister & I (late 50s) are planning a trip to San Fransisco and would like some recommendations about where to stay - Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square? We are looking at Sheraton or Hyatt in Fisherman's Wharf but would Union Square be more centralized? We will do the usual tourist things and don't mind some walking. Also are looking for top restaurants. We want to experience SF and are not looking for "thrifty" places to save money as we'll only be there 3 days and want to experience the best of SF. Also, has anyone done a day trip to Napa Valley? Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 07:28 AM

Personally, I would stay in Union Sq, especially considering your demographics. [me too]

try: Themosser.com for a nice hotel, with a deluxe 2 twin bed room for a reasonable cost. It is in a great location, just minutes walk from Union Sq.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any of the Kimpton properties in the Union Square area would be good choices. Monaco, Palomar, Serrano, Prescott and Sir Francis Drake. I've stayed in all but the last one and wouldn't hesitate to return to any of them -- and will be returning the Monaco at the end of the year.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Is Union Square a better location than Fisherman's Wharf? If so, why?
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Fisherman's Wharf is VERY touristy with souvenir shops, lots of kids, lots of people and not all that centrally located for the majority of sites most people want to see and do [other than whats at the Wharf, which is pretty limited].

No matter where you stay, I suggest that you buy a Muni pass for 3 days for $21. It is good for cable car, bus, historic F Market trolley line and metro [NOT good on BART which is used to get to and from airports]. While walking is fun and easy, it is really nice to be able to hop on public transit when you are tired.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

I have several threads on here about trips to SF and restaurants.

I personally would not take an entire day out of a short, 3 day trip to go to wine country.

I would highly recommend taking some of these, FREE wonderful walking tours [donations recommended]: They are run by the library and are a great way to see and learn about the city.

http://www.sfcityguides.org/
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Don't forget Nob Hill, Stanford Court, Mark Hopkins, Fairmont, and Huntington hotels. The location is pristine, and a 5 minute walk downhill to Union Square. Going back up to the hill we took the cable cars and taxis.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM

I still prefer the proximity to Union Sq and being able to walk out of a hotel and being in the mix of things. Hotels on Nob Hill don't offer that, and taking taxis to go to hotel seems a bit much for me. But to each his own.