Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Wharf or Golden Gate Segway tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be arriving in San Francisco on July 27 around noon. I am trying to decide between doing a Segway tour of the wharf that first afternoon - 4:00 - or doing a Segway tour of the Golden Gate Park on the 28th. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Have you been to SF before? Is this a tour to see the sites or more to do a segway tour?

Having never done either but having visited SF many times, FW is sure to be crowded with people and cars and that to me would be a bit of a no vote for doing a Segway tour there. Golden Gate Park sounds like it might be nicer.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

In thinking about doing the wharf tour, I felt that it would be a brief introduction to the city in looking at the tour description. Reviews on Trip Advisor made it sound like although people had thought that it would be difficult to maneuver through the crowded city, it was not. ???

The Golden Gate Park looks beautiful but a little overwhelming in deciding what to do for the short amount of time that we have.

So...to answer your question, the segway tour is to see some sights, but it definitely is to just have some fun as well!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM

I've never done either, nor been on a Segway, but I think you have to decide fir yourself whether you're more interested in a gorgeous urban oasis (seeing trees, flowers, meadows, some buildings) or a real "tourist" destination. Either way, you're not going to be getting a "brief introduction" to the city, because Fisherman's Wharf bears no relationship to the "real " San Francisco. It's pretty much strictly for tourists now. That's not to say you shouldn't go - everyone does - just to give you an understanding of your two choices.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM

Another thought- you want to really be "looking" at the sights, and I think maneuvering on a Segway [your first time??] in a very busy FW area might conflict with one another.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
maj

We've done both those segway tours. For us the segway tour was about the experience of riding a segway more than a tour of the area. Personally I would take a tour (like Mr.Toads for example) the first day if you want a brief introduction to the city. You really don't get that on a segway tour.

I would do the segway tour of GGP on the 28th.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM

I only have one suggestion, whichever option you choose -- make sure the tour leader details the rules of the road (I assume this is part of their normal introduction). I was in Golden Gate Park the other day, and as we approached the crosswalk in front of the de Young museum, both cars and a Segway tour were approaching. The car in front, seeing us approach, stopped at the crosswalk, but the Segway tour (with the leader in front) just kept going. I don't know what is expected or appropriate in these situations, so we just waited for them to pass. However, I'm not sure all the Segway participants knew the rules, either -- one of the later ones in the group tried to stop for us to cross, but the guy behind him wasn't expecting it and crashed into him. He fell off his Segway and hit the ground rather hard (good thing he had on a helmet) and the tour leader did realize (after a couple minutes) what had happened and came back to help.

I'm sure this was just an isolated incident, but I was surprised that the tour participants maybe didn't have the same understanding as the leader about how to handle such situations. My feeling is that they should have stopped at a crosswalk if they were in the road, but I'm glad I didn't just step out into the crosswalk when I saw the cars stopping, assuming they would stop as well!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:03 PM

I should add, it did look fun, and the park seems like a really beautiful setting for such a tour. Seems like more fun than navigating the wharf area.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM

I would definitely choose GG Park - it is wonderful for biking, so doing a segway tour would probably be fun too. FW is just busy and crowded - I think a tour would be frustrating down there.