Help with San Francisco itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 3 teens, dh and me are flying from Ohio San Francisco on July 4. We around around 7pm on the 4th and will likely try to watch some fireworks but have no other plans for that day.

We are spending 4 nights there. I am planning to get us tickets for an Alcatraz tour for our 2nd day there (figure we don't want to plan too much for the 1st day). I have found a site which sells tickets for just the Alcatraz tour and also another site which combines the Alcatraz tour with a bus tour of San Francisco. Does anyone have experience with either of these? I have heard it recommended to take the 1st tour of the day to Alcatraz and maybe this won't be possible if we combine it with a bus tour?

Also, the kids would love to do a Segway tour of the city. Any recommendations for this?

Any other "must see" activities for the town? We are staying at the Columbus Motor Inn (thanks for the recommendation elsewhere on this board!).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Karen
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I think the last tour of the day is best. You should book directly with the National Park Service or the link to the concessionaire that they provide. I would think that you would ride the Cable Cars. If you do a Segway and Cable Cars- then you could probably skip a bus tour. You should see Golden Gate and Chinatown. Other people on here will tell you that Fishermans Wharf is just a touristy thing to do, but we enjoyed it. We did a Segway with www.electrictourcompany.com and enjoyed it. If you can drive to across the Golden Gate Bridge to The Muir Woods- it is very nice. Further North is Point Reyes, but that would require a full day.

http://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm is link to alcatraz
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Consider Greyline for your tour of SF... we did a City tour that picked us up at the hotel and included Alcatraz... stopped at about 20 sites... then we used the other days to go back to our favorites...

We also did the Muir Woods/ Sausalito ferry tour through them... trust me... its well worth the money for your limited stay and gives you a great overall feel for the City... AAA club membership gives you a huge discount on the tour tickets... we then added a cable car ride to the wharf, a kid friendly matinee of Beach Blanket Babylon, a walk through Chinatown, Dinner in North Beach, Ghirdelli chocolates and Boudin's Sourdough (dont miss that) and shopping at Union Square... you could always add your Segway tour... have fun... my teens loved every minute!!!
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM

We went on a mid-day Alcatraz tour last Saturday (1:45 p.m.). I'm really not sure why earlier or later would be better -- the boat left on-time, and once you're on the island, you can take any boat back. Do make reservations in advance -- they sell out. And go through the National Park Service -- I'm guessing anyone else and you'll be overpaying.

When you walk through Chinatown, be sure to walk on Stockton Street, which is where the people who actually live in the area shop, as opposed to Grant Street, which is where the tourist shops are (fun, too, but not "real"). They're parallel, one block apart.

Unfortunately, I think the under-21 show for Beach Blanket Babylon is on sunday afternoon, so you will miss that.

As for fireworks, the big San Francisco fireworks are at Crissy Field -- you can googlemap it, but it won't be hard to get there and back from your hotel. If it's foggy, you won't be able to see anything, but if it's not, they're supposed to be great (at least they used to be, I haven't seen them in years). You may need to walk -- I'm not sure how easy public transportation and taxis are because it'll be very crowded. It's a little less than 2 miles from your hotel. Of course, you don'tt have to go all the way there to see the fireworks. I see online that Pier 39 has its own fireworks display that night, which is closer to your hotel (less than a mile).
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard that the 1st tour of the day at Alcatraz was much less crowded than the other times? Maybe that's not the case.

As far as the combination grayline/alcatraz tour, it looks like those are not offered on Mondays through Wednesdays, which are the days we have available. So I don't guess that would be an option for us.

Sounds like the grayline tours are good though?
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:53 AM

http://alcatrazcruises.com/website/tour-comparison.aspx
Link from NPS site to the concessionaire sight.

The first tour of the day is the same as the rest of the day, but it isn't as crowded. The last tour is a more complete tour. You will get a guided tour and extra Ranger-led options. Several different options are available. For instanct, a small group(10 or so) might be interested in famous prisoners. Another tour might be of the kitchen area, or a door demonstration. Plus, you often might have a good view at sunset of Alcatraz or Golden Gate. The night tour is a few dollars more expensive. It isn't as crowded at night either because you are the last tour for the evening.

I would book directly with the concessionaire to save any hassle and perhaps any additional booking fees.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...7?source=pw980

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...B?source=pw980

Here is two links to my pictures from San Fran, Muir Woods, Alcatraz, Pt. Reyes, Chinatown, Segway, North Beach District(Little Italy), and Golden Gate Park(includes dutch windmill area and Japanese Garden). This were in March
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM

Arriving at sfo at 7 pm by time u get luggage and get to the city it could be close to 830-9 pm which is wren the fireworks start. It will be hard to go anywhere to see them via taxi or bus as it will be very crowded. Also SF in July is often very foggy we get to see the fireworks about one out of every 3-4,times.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:00 PM

Just to let you know that Goldstar has half-price Segway tickets from time to time. It's free to sign up for Goldstar, and they often have types of shows that are more appealing when you're paying less.

http://www.goldstar.com/events/san-f...gway-tour.html

I've been wanting to get my husband to take the tour with me (we're local) but he always chickens out. I was inspired by Spirobulldog's description, and people look like they're having fun on the tour.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:56 PM

i was just going to recommend signing up with goldstar events as well.

not only do they offer discounts on segway tours but also for bus tours, bike rentals and go cars.