Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The Maxwell Hotel Seattle - Anyone stayed there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
can get a good deal for this hotel ( 334$ Australian ) for 2 nights.
It is a recently opened place. Not sure of positionetc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Donna
Australia
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM

This is a new boutique hotel in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood, which is just west of Seattle Center (home of the Space Needle). It is within walking distance of Key Arena, the opera house, and several theaters. There are good dining options nearby.

Located about 1.4 miles from the heart of the retail core, downtown is walkable and there is good bus service.

Here is what folks on TripAdvisor are saying: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ashington.html
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks happytrails, we have booked the hotel.
It seems like it will be good for a short stay.
What sort of dining options do you recommend?
We do not like seafood, emjoy Italian, steak and chinese.
DOnna
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM

In the immediate neighborhood of your hotel you will find casual restaurants of all kinds.

Ten Mercer is our favorite restaurant in the area. They do a good job with fish, and I always order their mussels which they do in an unusual preparation that includes julienne yams and a spicy curry sauce.

Chinese restaurants are in short supply in many Seattle neighborhoods, but we have loads of Thai restaurants. One of the most popular Thai restaurants in town is Racha, located near your hotel.

We have many good seafood restaurants. My favorites are Steelhead Diner, Blueacre, and Etta's.

For steak we have several national chains, such as Capitol Grill. Locally owned favorites include Metropolitan Grill, Palace Kitchen, and El Gaucho.

My favorite Italian restaurant is Barolo.

I suggest that one night you have dinner at Steelhead Diner or Blueacre, which are both owned by a chef and his wife who met when they both worked at a restaurant called Bacall’s in Adelaide, Australia. Here are links: http://blueacreseafood.com and http://www.steelheaddiner.com/

And on another night you might dine at one of Tom Douglas' restaurants. He is a Seattle treasure who operates five popular restaurants. We enjoy the informality of Palace Kitchen: http://tomdouglas.com

I have mentioned only restaurants that you can get to easily by walking or by bus.
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Some good Italian restaurants downtown Seattle are: Assagio's on 4th, Il Bistro in the Pike Place Market, La Fontana on Blanchard, and Il Terrazzo Carmine in Pioneer Square.
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Tulio is popular, too.
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Near your hotel, you'll find Crow which has awesome roast chicken and the best carrot cake I've ever had. There's also Toulouse Petit, which does great things with eggs benedict at brunch (I haven't been for dinner yet).
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I have made note of them all and look forward to trying htem out. We will be in Seattle in September. What is the weather likely to be like?
Thanks again
Donna