Reload this Page >

San Francisco Vacation

Search

San Francisco Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
John

San Francisco Vacation

My wife and I want to go to San Francisco in September, 2003. (best time?) She is oxygen dependant, and cannot walk far without stopping. We are looking for a reasonably priced hotel (I want one in a good area) that is convenient to muni. I don't want to rent a car as we will not be leaving the city. We will just be sightseeing (Fisherman's Wharf, etc.) and we will be there about 5 days. Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Chris

September is nice, particularly the later part. We have Indian summers late with early October often times being perfect. You really don't need a car, plenty of taxi cabs, cable cars, bart and Muni. Fisherman's is probably the most affordable while still being somewhat centrally located. There are several hotels on Lombard, but you are a few miles out. Downtown and Union Square hotels are great, but you will pay much more.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 12:09 AM
SF resident

September is not a bad time to visit SF. By all means do not stay in the downtown/Union Square area. It is quite seedy and rundown. May want to stay in Fisherman's wharf.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 01:51 AM
ed

I stayed in the Union Square area this past May and it was fine.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:16 PM
jacque

Just got home from a weekend in SF. We stayed at the Hyatt Fisherman's Warf. Nice hotel, GREAT location. Two blocks from Fisherman's Warf and restaurants, 5 minute walk to Pier 39, two blocks to the cable car turn around. Cable car can take you to Lombard St., China town, Union Square, etc. I'm not sure about muni.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:10 AM
John

Thanks for the advice! We're leaning toward the Hyatt at Fishermans Wharf (has 3 perfect ratings on another site), and I can book the whole package at Fodors.com/Expedia including transportation to/from the airport, and bay cruises. Thanks again.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Donna

Here's another recommendaton for the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf. You can download a beautiful map (including all the streets) of the entire MUNI system at their website.

I've been in San Francisco twice in September and the weather was absolutely magnificent.