San Francisco Trip

May 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

San Francisco Trip

Hi Everyone, I need help!
My boyfriend and I are visiting San Francisco and really want to see redwoods. We are not renting a car because most of our other activities are within the city. But I keep reading great things about the drive to Big Basin State Park, and it seems like Muir Woods, while closer, is still difficult to get to with out a car. Is it worth it to rent a car for the day to drive to Big Basin, or is there an easier way to get to Muir woods?

Thanks!!
PS any other SF advice is welcome too!
May 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM

The trees are beautiful at both places.

It would be worth it to rent a car for Big Basin if you continue on to Santa Cruz and return to San Francisco via Highway 1.

On the other hand, there are bus tours to Muir Woods from San Francisco. Here is one: http://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/muir_woods_tours.htm
May 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM

You can rent a car in Union SQ or Fisherman's Wharf area for just a single day -- pick up in early morning and then return it before they close - same day. By not keeping it overnight, you won't have to pay hotel parking $$$$ and still be able to get to Muir Woods.

We use Dollar at Union Sq and have gotten some good rates for the day. They have City Specials which are good deals.

You can also take a bus to Muir, I think, but don't have details. I'm sure you can google that and find out.

As far as advice, there is TONS of it here. {welcome, I see you are new]. I suggest you type in San Francisco in the search box and wander through some posts.

I highly suggest doing free [donation only]tours given by SF Public Libary http://www.sfcityguides.org/ There are all different types of tours and sure to have ones that will interest you.

Free tour of City Hall is good, watch the movie MILK first.

What are you likes? When are you going? How long is trip? Give us a bit more info about what things interest you and we can help. It also helpful if you sketch out an itinerary and then we can fine tune it.

Again, welcome!
May 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM

By all means rent a car from a downtown location for just 1 day when the weather is suitable. Please read StuDudley's great postings on what to see in SF.
May 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

Stu Dudley