San Francisco Trip - 6 months Pregnant

Mar 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster
San Francisco Trip - 6 months Pregnant

DH and I are planning a 3 night trip to San Francisco before baby arrives. We will be driving this time so that we can see more than just union square and the Wharf. I was hoping to get some help with a few questions.

1. DH is a wine lover. I would like to take a day trip to either Sonoma or Napa. Since I am pregnant I will not be able to enjoy the wine. Will I be totally bored if I can't drink? If we do decide to go, is Sonoma or Napa a better choice?

2. Most of the sites that people say are a must (Muir Woods, Walking Golden Gate bridge etc.) seem like they involve a lot of walking. I am young and in good shape, but I don't want to over-do it. Can you suggest some good sites to see that don't involve hiking?

3. Can you recommend some great places to eat? DH is pretty picky about food. He is not an adventurous eater. We like small, unique places but we aren't total foodies. We like French, Italian, Mexican and Steak, etc.

Thanks so much. This will probably be our last getaway for awhile so I want to make it memorable.

Mar 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Benziger, which has some fine wines, has an interesting tour of the vineyard. It is also next to the Jack London State Park which is very much worth a visit. In nearby Glen Ellen there is a store that specializes in olive products which offers olive oil tastings. The town of Sonoma has the northern-most Mission and has an interesting town square. I would choose Sonoma over Napa.
Mar 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
The central trail at Muir Woods is very much more of a stroll than a hike. I don't think it would be a problem for you, just wear comfortable shoes with a slip-resistant sole, as some areas around and beneath the trees do retain moisture.

If you have a car, it would certainly be worth it to drive up to Point Reyes the same day. Most of the beaches at Point Reyes have good parking lots and easy trails or direct access to the shore. If you don't want to drive up to Pt. Reyes, Muir Beach is quite close by Muir Woods - just continue driving west on the road to the Woods to where you exit onto Highway One. The entrance to Muir Beach (both the beach itself and the community) is clearly marked.
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I agree with Dovima - in Muir Woods it can be like a stroll in a park, not a hike. And they have benches if you're tired.

Most wineries have gift shops, some sell food, and you can always walk out for a view. Don't think you'll be bored.

You can also Google olive oil tasting, at 6 months you'll probably be able to do it.

Try to stay away from Hwy 1, easy to get dizzy there.

Sausalito is a nice village, easy along-the-water promenade, restaurants, shopping.
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
One should know that wine tasting doesn't really involve major drinking. The total pours usually amount to one glass of wine. I don't know why you couldn't at least sip some of his to taste, share and enjoy.
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
One of my favorite spots to eat in San Franscisco when we were there last year was

We hadn't eaten beef for years, but we were willing to eat their grass fed burgers - wow. We went back again before we left. They've got chicken and steak, too. Nothing too adventurous, but it all looked great.

And we spent the second half of our trip in wine country and I didn't drink at all - for no particular reason - and I wasn't bored at all. Just savor your last taste of freedom for awhile
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Here's a nice Mexican place and a stellar ice cream parlour, within blocks of each other. You could have your dinner and then walk up the street to your dessert. Both places are on 18th Street near Valencia, a very happening neighborhood.
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I agree with the Sonoma (town and valley) area as a destination. Glen Ellen is just a few miles north and the Benziger winery with its tram tour of the sustainable vineyard is very interesting. The whole valley is beautiful and is not crowded with tour buses and people as is the Napa Valley.

The town of Sonoma is built around a lovely 11 acre Plaza from the Mexican occupation era of the 1820's and ringed with historical adobe buildings from the period, now housing boutiques, restaurants, and a hotel. There is a wine exchange on the Plaza where you husband can also taste. And just a mile or two east of the Plaza is a small historic stone winery, Buena Vista. It is here that the Hungarian Count Haraszthy brought the first European wine grape cuttings to California, thus starting it all.

You could probably walk across the Golden Gate Bridge very nicely (in fact, it might be good for you.) There is a way to do this and then get public transportation back. Perhps someone here can tell you how to do that, or go to and ask in the San Francisco section of the California Forum.

Enjoy your trip and congratulations on the upcoming event.
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
For a really fine meal, nothing fancy but great food: Tadich Grill on California near the end of the cable car route. Their chioppino was to die for, as was their petrale sole.

What about going to Monterey Peninsula instead of wine country?

On our recent trip, we opted out of a day and night there and added that time to our stay in Pacific Grove. Wonderful B&B and wonderful walking areas. Trip report coming soon, with pictures.

Search this Thread