Wine Country Itinerary

Jul 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Wine Country Itinerary

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my plans for an upcoming trip to California for a wedding I'm in. Please critique or offer suggestions if you have any!

Wed 7/23 - arrive OAK 11:20 am, rent car and head north. We're staying that night at Petit Logis in Yountville and check in is not until 3, so I think we'll drive to St Helena for lunch at Taylor's Refresher. I don't want to schedule any winery reservations in case flight is late, but I'd like to drop in a couple places to do tastings that afternoon. My coworker recommended Heitz which is free to taste...any others that won't be $25? We have dinner res at Redd at 6:45.

Thurs 7/24 - wake up, check out, and head to 10 am tour & tasting at Pride Vineyards. Drive to Sonoma square for lunch, then get to hotel (Renaissance Lodge at Sonoma) for 3 pm wedding rehearsal. The rehearsal dinner is at Landmark Vineyards and groom's parents have hired a mini-bus to take us - yay!

Fri 7/25 - spa time, bridal lunch, then wedding at Lodge at 5:30.

Sat 7/26 - farewell breakfast around 10, then head to San Francisco. I would like to see the redwoods...will Muir Woods be too crazy crowded if we arrive on a Sat around noon? If so, we may just go into city and explore. We're staying at the Omni and have dinner with friends at Bacar at 8. Any recs for a pre or post dinner cocktail location with a view?

Thanks so much for any advice you might have!
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
dmlove

Both the Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse restaurants on the Embarcadero have lovely views -- not too far from Bacar either.

Jul 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM

Hope this isn't too late.

One great place to try wines for free is a little north of Yountville on the Silverado Trail (a nice alternative to crowded Hwy 29): Frank Family Vineyards. They start you with sparkling and then eventually get to a really good cabernet sauvignon. A fun experience for free.

http://www.frankfamilyvineyards.com/index.jsp

As far as visiting a redwoods forest, you could make Armstrong Redwoods park on your way back from Sonoma if you're not in a big hurry. It's a little northwest of Sonoma and across Hwy 101, near Guerneville, then you can get back on 101 to SF.

Armstrong is much larger than Muir Woods, and further from SF so you'll probably encounter less crowding. It's an amazing place, where you can do an easy 30 minute or longer walk, or even drive through but walking is better.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Not too late at all! I will print the info for Frank Family vineyards. Thank you! DH hurt his food last week so Muir
Woods is off the agenda. I am really bummed and don't want him to uncomfortable, but I still want to visit wineries to taste, but maybe should cancel our tour at Pride? For Saturday in San Francisco, I was thinking of doing the Grayline bus tour, so we can at least see a lot. Any feedback on that tour?
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

DMlove, Waterbar looks perfect - thx for tip!