Search

SAN FRANCISCO TO ROGUE RIVER OREGON

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAN FRANCISCO TO ROGUE RIVER OREGON

Hi all,

I could really use some suggestions. My wife and I are flying from the east coast to San Francisco in mid-July, and have 3-4 days to make our way to the Rogue River in Oregon for a rafting trip. We then have 3-4 days after the trip. So...the questions:

1. If we make a loop from San Francisco to Rogue, and then back to San Francisco, can we make two road trips that are different enough, and interesting enough (e.g., route 101 one way, route 1 the other)?

2. Thoughts about where to stay and what to see if we continue up the coast from the Rogue to Portland?

3. Would love to hear peoples preferences about option 1 vs. option 2.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Michael
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Where does your river trip start and where does it end?

I am in the planning stages of an Oregon Coast trip from San Francisco myself. We will take 101 north and probably stop in Garberville to see the Redwoods, then stay at TuTuTun upstream from Gold Beach, head north to Yachats and end in Cannon Beach. After your raft trip you could do something similar and fly home out of Portland.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

The river trip starts at a town called Galice. At the put out they drive us back to Galice.

We're also leaning towards continuing up the coast, and to leave from Portland.

The problem I'm thinking through is how to do the road trip in a way that doesn't feel to rushed. The distances seem between stops seem significant, and I want to feel relaxed as we're going up the coast.

How long are you planning your trip for? And how many days specifically at the stops you mentioned?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Trinidad north of Eureka is a small and pretty place to stop and take in the ocean and the redwoods especially at Patrick Point park. You can also take a mail boat trip up the Rogue River from Gold Beach if you don't want to do the hard work yourself.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM

In 4 days you could go via Lassen NP and Crater Lake to get to Galice, although this would be a driving trip (one day to get to Lassen, one day in Lassen, one day to get to Crater Lake, admire Crater Lake the next day and then drive to Galice in a couple of hours).

Going back you could go down the coast and see the redwoods, the Mendocino coast and the Anderson Valley for its wines.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
3-4 days is a nice pace to get from SF to SW Oregon.I personally would not round trip SF to SF. But this is a way it would work: Stop over night 1 on the Marin or Sonoma Coast. Then a stop in/near Mendocino. Then up north like Trinidad or nearby. Then Gold Beach.

Coming back south - Crater Lake. Then Mt Shasta City/Dunsmuir area for Mt Shasta, Castle Crags, MacArthur Burney Falls (amazing!). Then Lassen and finally back to SF
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM

michael555,

I am planning between 5 and 7 days which might include a night in Portland.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM

janisj -- we did last year round trip loop your "Coming back south" route without Crater Lake and added Lake Tahoe at the end. Loved it, especially the falls and the hike to the bubbling sulphur pools in Lassen. Stayed 1 night in Dunsmuir and the others at Bidwell House south of Lassen.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM

We are doing this trip in August as well and have done it several times before. You have already received some very good advice. You just need to decide if you want to return to SF or drive up to Portland to fly home. Either way, you can have a very scenic trip.

Galice is just outside Grant's Pass and you will probably stay in GP the night before and return to Galice ater your trip to get your car. After doing a rafting trip, you probably don't need to take a Mail Boat trip and you probably don't need to go to Gold Beach. Either head north to Portland or go back to San Francisco.

If you decide to go up to Portland, you can either cut over to the coast at Coos Bay or you can head inland to Crater Lake and the Bend area. Both drives are very scenic with lot of things to do and sights to see.

If you decide to go back to SF, just take Hwy 199 down to Crescent City and you will have found yourselves in the heart of the redwoods. Then take Hwy 101 and CA 1 back down the coast. This will easily fill 3 or 4 days if you stop and see the sights.

For your trip north, follow the advice others have given about Lassen, Mt. Shasta, etc. If you like Shakespeare or the theater, stop off in Ashland for a couple of days. In August, they have a lot going on.

Are you doing a lodge or camping trip on the Rogue? We are going with Ouzel Outfitters.