San Francisco to Napa & Back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve had to make some adjustments to schedule was wondering if it would be too much to go to Napa and come back to stay in San Francisco, so far this is what I have:
1 nt. SF
2 nt. Napa
3rd nt. Manteca (looking for a middle place to stay so I can be closer to Yosemite)
4-5 nt. Yosemite
6-9 nt Carmel/Monterey
9-12 nt SF
Not sure if this is too much 1 nights?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:07 AM

colombiana,
I don't think it would be too much to go to Napa and come back to stay in San Francisco, as it's only an hour to Napa, according to every map I've looked at. It would depend on the traffic, though.

Sandy
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM

I would switch it and do 2 nights SF and 1 night Napa. Its really only about 1.5 to 2 hours away. But of course it depends what your interests are.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

Napa the town, or Napa Valley??? The popular destinations in the Napa Valley (St Helena, Calistoga, Yountville) are 15 to 30 mins farther away than the town of Napa. It's a little over 1 hr from the Bridge in "non-getaway" day traffic, to the northern end of the town of Napa.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Now that you mention it I don’t know I am looking to go to Napa where the wineries are. What I want to do is take my friends through the wineries, when I went I was really not too impressed (not a wine drinker, but they all are) I did like Robert Mondavi, I visited others in the area but, that was the one that stuck to me, not sure if there are others a lot better than that or “not to be missed” I welcome all suggestions and back to my original question, I want to know if it’s possible to drive there make a day of it and get back in the evening. Mr. StuDudley I want to thank you for all your wonderful posts, I want to tell you that I have cut and paste most of what you’ve written about the city. Thank you again for all those wonderful tips & ideas (I have not finished checking all you’ve wrote)
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM

Do a day trip to the Sonoma valley. I recommend Glen Ellen and the Jack London State Park (something other than wine tasting) and right next to it is the Benziger winery which offers tours. In Glen Ellen there is an olive oil outlet (The Olive Press?) which offers tastings of local olive oils.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:41 AM

There's a small map of the Napa Valley wine trail on this website.

http://www.inetours.com/PagesWT/WTareas/Napa.html

We plan to leave San Francisco early in the morning and head for Napa. We'll have breakfast there, head for St. Helena for lunch, and end up at Calistoga. On the way, we'll stop at a couple of wineries. One is the Sterling Winery:

http://www.sterlingvineyards.com/visit-Sterling.html

and we're undecided between the Coppola Winery:

http://www.niebaum-coppola.com/site.php

and Domaine Chandon:

http://www.chandon.com/default.html

Sandy
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Sandy, do Coppola. It's really touristy, but it's fun. They have his Oscars there, too. Do the reserve tastings, it's worth the money. On that note, the drive up 101 to Sonoma Valley is much easier from SF. I hated that drive to Napa! There are equally good wineries, better scenery, less traffic and most don't charge for tastings as in Napa.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM

LLindaC
Thanks! We probably will visit Coppola. It looks good

Sandy
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

LLindaC,
One question about Coppola... is a reservation necessary?

Sandy
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

sandypaws-the only thing at all interesting at Sterling is the tram ride, and that, barely,the wine is quite forgettable,IMHO.

Coppola is quite the touristy place,
yet fun once, no reservations needed.

Best of luck to you making left turns
off of Hwy 29 !

I, too prefer Sonoma County.
An excellent website for the Healdsburg
area is www.wineroad.com

R5
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

Skip Napa and go Sonoma, much more welcoming and they are not yet charging the fee for tastings like Napa. You could also see about a limo/car and driver for your in and out of Napa. I agree with the poster on the plan if you stick to Napa work your way up to Calistoga and stay over there, then work your way down. You may want to make the trek to Yosemite, it isnot terrible and Manteca leaves much to be desired. Go for the extra day in the wonderous Yosemite.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:48 PM

colombiana,

Either a driver or an overnight might allow you to be a bit more carefree in your enjoyment of the wine contry's primary draw...

I would suggest checking with your friends the wine drinkers before selecting a destination. If they are big Cabernet fans, make an appointment for the tour at Opus One, head down Oakvilee Cross Rd to Silver Oak, where I hear there was a fire today and they lost a good deal of their 2004 vintage , hit Joseph Phelps (bring a picnic lunch and sit on the hillside) and Stag's Leap. Finish up at Van Der Heyden Vineyards, where the tasting room is in a little shack that appears to be part of a travel trailer, but they make a late harvest cabernet like nothing your friends will have ever tasted. For lodging, we like the Wine Country Inn, www.winecountryinn.com, which is right up the road from Duckhorn (their estate tasting, by appointment and at a cost, is served with a light lunch if you don't like the picnic idea...).

If they like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, you might drive straight up to the Sonoma Coast and Russian River Valley, where I would recommend an overnight at River's End, www.ilovesunsets.com . This modest, rustic lodge is perched on a bluff where the Russian River and Pacific Ocean meet. You can sit out on your balcony, watch the sun set over the ocean and listen to the seals bark. From there it is a bit of a drive inland to the heart of RR pinot country.

In Sonoma, it is a bit off the beaten path, but the grounds at Matanzas Creek winery are really nice when the lavender is in bloom. This is another good picnic destination and they make very good merlot.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:51 PM

Reality Check: Many tasting rooms here
in Sonoma County, DO charge to taste,
perhaps not as many yet as Napa-I wouldn't expect the trend to reverse.
R5
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I won't jump into the Napa vs Sonoma debate - I have my favorites but you can't go wrong whichever you choose.

BUT - Manteca??? Absolutely no reason on Earth to stop in Manteca!

Have you got reservations for the two nights in Yosemite Valley? If so, drive to someplace along hwy 49 for some scenery and Gold Rush history - such as Jackson, Murphys, Sonora. Then the next day drive into YNP. OR - maybe stay that night near the park like Fish Camp or Yosemite West. But pease, - not Manteca.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the Manteca advise. janisj mentioned something about hwy 49 is this on the way? If I go to one of the travel websites (to look for hotel) would I find something under Jackson, Murphys or Sonora? Thank you.
Gina