Two Single Girls going to SF and Sonoma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to go on vacation with my friend to Napa and SF. I've always wanted to go to Napa Valley and have read many posts about the area. My question is..... where should we visit where we won't feel like we need to be married to have some fun?
Are there any must go to festivals, music, art or food events....etc.?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM

You never need to be married to have some fun - at least in California you don't. Napa is 45 min. from our home and we lived in S.F. for some time. I would go to the Napa Chamber of Commerce and S.F. CofC sites for any events. But to enjoy it, you don't need anything going on. Calistoga, Napa, Yountville are all quaint! Take the drive through all three - takes a very short time and stop at different wineries for wine tasting - have lunch - browse through the shops. I LOVE IT! The thrift shop in Napa is the best I've seen - bought lots for my 20's daughter. San Francisco is a gem - the bay is breathtaking - stop by Berkeley - 4th street - for little shops - further in by the Cal campus for more - my son goes there and daughter lives there. Walnut Creek where two other sons live is also a charming town nestled in the hills. Sausalito, across the Golden Gate Bridge is a must also. China Town next to North Beach (great Italian restaurants) down to Fisherman's Wharf. Take a trolley and a cab for sightseeing if you won't have a car. (I'd rent a car and drive Napa to S.F. or reverse). Easy, quick drive. Try to miss traffic times into the city. Market Street for big department store shopping or Fillmorea and Castro districts are quaint areas for boutique, neighborhood shopping and eating, Coit Tower - nice view. I've traveled the world and S.F. bay is my favorite! Just ask if any other questions. Where are you from?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Hello havanna, when do you plan on coming to SF and Napa Valley? BTW, there is absolutly no problem about you two visiting here married or not.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I dont know where the whole "married" comment comes from.

If you want more of a "non-married" experience, I would recommend Napa Valley over Sonoma Valley. Sonoma is great...it's just a bit "sleepier" than Napa Valley.

You need to first identify the dates you are coming to Napa, and then look at some festival calendar. I bet if you Google "napa festivals", something will come up. NOTE that certain "festivals" in Napa are EXTREMELY popular and hotels are booked WAY in advance.

I highly recommend getting a spa treatment while youre in Napa (and I'm a guy). We went to some place in Calistoga and thought it was awesome - "The Lavendar Hills Spa." Also, we went on a tour of the Beringer Winery (costs a little $$$, but we thought it was worth it). We also went hot-air balooning, but I dont know if thats in your price range (~$200 per person).

Trust me, you wont be bored during your days in Napa. Nighttime is another story though......

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Best advice is to go to SF during the weekend and wine country during the week to avoid crowds. I much prefer Sonoma Valley over Napa. Napa has gotten so over the top...places charging $10-25 for tasting, roads are bumper to bumper traffic on the main drags, etc. Of course, it's good to see both for comparison and to decide for yourself.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

There are beautiful pockets for you to visit. Calistoga (Geysers), Glen Elen, Yountville (for the mud baths), and Sonoma.

Nearby exporations include:
Lake Berryessa, Russian River, and Jenner.

If you have time, I suggest driving up the coast towards Guala.

Post what things you like to do.
Do you like outdoor or recreational activities?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM

I'd drive up the Napa valley through Calistoga and then continue on into the Alexander Valley and down into Healdsburg. Great shops, wine tasting, restaurants... Google the spa called Osmosis at Freestone (you won't believe it). Then you can continue south, through the town of Sonoma and back to where ever you are staying in Napa. But do consider staying in Healdsburg instead of Napa. You don't need to be married to enjoy the wine country......