Napa first-timers

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa first-timers

My husband and I would like to go to wine country next year with another couple. Everything is still flexible at this point, so I'd like to figure out the ideal time to go. I've heard late summer through mid fall, but I've also heard that late September can be rainy. Is late August too warm? Both of our b-days are then; I thought that could be a nice way to spend them.

Also, I would like to visit Sonoma, Calistoga and Healdsburg in addition to Napa. Any lodging recs are appreciated. I'd like to keep the hotel costs to mid-priced so that I don't scare the other couple we're traveling with!

Finally, considering we live on the east coast, I'd like to visit other areas of CA while we're out there. My husband has been to San Fran; I have not. I would like to, but I would also be happy visiting other areas as well. (We may split from couple 2 at this point.) In total, I'm thinking 4-5 days for wine country and 3-4 days to travel elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM

In my opinion, as a frequent visitor to wine country, Sonoma is better (less crowded, better vineyard experiences) than Napa and I'd stay only in Sonoma, near the square.

http://www.sonoma.com/

Also, just my opinion, but 4-5 days in wine country is too many. How much wine can you drink? How many vineyards can you visit? Perhaps spend 2-3 nights in Sonoma, then 2 nights in SF, then drive down to Carmel for a night or two (don't miss the famous 17 Mile Drive).

Enjoy!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM

>>I've also heard that late September can be rainy.<<

Where did you hear that??? We quite often get zero rain (or very little) from about June through mid-October.

Are you really staying in the city of Napa?. I would not do that - I'de stay someplace that is in the middle of the winegrowing region with vineyards & wineries I can easily get to - Yountville, St Helena, Calistoga are popular choices.

I much prefer the town of Healdsburg to the town of Sonoma. Healdsburg is a little "cuter", with nice resaurants, and closer to the vineyards. Sonoma has some pretty ugly areas to the north around Boyes Hot Springs. The square is quite nice, however, but I still prefer the square in Healdsburg.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM

I will also vote for Sonoma. We typically stay on the coast & still have easy access to many wineries. Usually we rent a house between Bodega Bay & Jenner (www.bodegabayandbeyond.com). Occidental is a cool little town w/a market on Saturdays as well, & don't forget Osmosis Spa (www.osmosis.com). I would also allow a couple of days in SF proper.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM

You need to know that there is the town of Napa in Napa county, and the town of Sonoma in Sonoma county. That being said, the town of Healdsburg, in Sonoma county is where you want to base your stay. You can easily visit the Napa valley too if you want to, but there is plenty to see and do around Healdsburg. Visit the Armstrong Woods state park, and yes, Osmosis spa... Hbg has great restaurants and shopping in addition to great wine growing areas. Check out www.sonomacountyvacations.com for less expensive but IMO more interesting places to stay. The last page has the least expensive listings.