San Francisco to Mendocino trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and our three adult kids (17, 20, 23) arrived at SFO early afternoon on a Saturday and took a cab to the Argonaut Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. This is a nice hotel where we stayed once before. We will probably stay in a different area next time as we did not want to go to the wharf and didn't end up taking any boat trips (ran out of time). Last time, we toured Alcatraz and it was convenient for that. It is next to the cable car turnaround, but the lines were so long for the cable cars, we never used them. We went in April last time, and everything was much less crowded.

After checking in, we grabbed a snack and then ended up walking to china town and spent the afternoon wandering around there. We stopped in a tea tasting shop and bought a bunch of tea. For dinner, we walked to the North Beach area and ate in an italian restaurant.

The next day, my husband wanted to go to Golden Gate Park because we had never been there. We ended up taking a cab and spent the morning walking around part of the park. It is huge and very pretty, but far from the city center. For a late lunch, we walked to Ton Kiang for Dim Sum. None of us had ever had Dim Sum before, and it was delicious and quite an experience. My kids enjoyed it but said it was kind of "stressful", since the waitresses kept coming around constantly offering their trays and we felt like we were eating too fast without a chance to savor it or barely talk. Everything was so good and we ended up eating too much. It was a lot of fun, and I will pace myself better next time. Was our experience typical for Dim Sum restaurants?

We took a bus back to Union Square (long bus ride with some very interesting characters chatting to us the whole way). We were too tired to shop (and coming from Chicago, the stores are all the same anyway), so we transferred to another bus and went back to the hotel. For dinner that night, we walked to the Marina, which was a pleasant walk near the Presidio with views of the Golden Gate Bridge at one point.

On Monday, after much trouble (see earlier post), we picked up our rental vehicle and began the drive up the coast. Due to car rental agency, we were delayed about 4 hours so we had less time for that than planned. We took 101 to Petaluma and cut over to Bodega Bay. Picked up some sandwiches there and attempted to eat them at a roadside lookout, but it was totally fogged in and very cold, so we didn't stay long. As we headed north, the fog lifted at times and we saw some beautiful views. We stopped at Salt Point State Park and checked out the views from there, and then continued a very short distance to our night's lodging at Sea Ranch.

To be continued....
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM

...waiting for the next installment on your trip report, Buckminster. We are going to Mendocino in early August and will be driving up.

TexTraveler
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:36 AM

I think you have to "slow down" the waitresses in some Dim Sum places, like you have to drag your feet when busy restaurants of other types try to rush you through dinner (to get more people in.) Doesn't work with me ... I eat slower!

Looking forward to the rest of your report. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Sea Ranch was just what we needed to unwind after our weekend in San Francisco and rental car hassles. It is a beautiful place, and I could have stayed another day easily. My 17-yr- old son had to take a Bonine (for motion sickness) on the trip up the coast, and it made him so sleepy he wouldn't go to dinner and slept for 14 hours! The girls and my husband and I had a nice dinner in the solarium at the Lodge and watched the sunset. The next day, a delicious breakfast was included in the room rate, and since checkout wasn't until 1 pm, we were all able to walk the bluffs and down to the beach.

Then we drove to Mendocino, stopping for lunch in Elk. Queenies was closed on Tuesdays, so we ate at another place which was good.

Mendocino is a really special place and we all loved it. We rented a 3 bedroom house from the Whitegate Inn which was in a good location and very charming. There were some complaints about uncomfortable beds and sofas, but having the space and the kitchen for breakfasts was great. The only complaint I had was no screens on any of the windows or doors. Not sure if that is typical in Mendocino, there were very few mosquitoes, but bees were a problem in the day and it was quite warm while we were there. We had great weather the whole trip actually, other than fog the day we drove up hwy 1.

While in Mendocino, we walked the Headlands, of course (incredibly beautiful), did a little shopping, tasted some wine at the little place right in town. We also rented kayaks from Stanford Inn one day and paddled the Big River, which was a favorite with everyone. Another day we drove up to Fort Bragg and rode the Skunk Train, which was fun but ultimately disappointing. It was expensive, long, and although we did go through redwoods, they were not as majestic as the ones we saw elsewhere. And there was no time to walk around at the turn- around point. I wouldn't recommend it--I would much rather have hiked somewhere.

On a last day, we went to Van Damme State Park and hiked a bit near the Pygmy Forest, then returned to Elk and ate lunch at Queenies which was an interesting place with good food .We spent the rest of the day driving to SFO along 128 to 101. That was a beautiful drive, with redwoods and wineries. We stopped at Navarro winery in Philo, because we had enjoyed their wine at restaurants in Mendocino. My eldest daughter and I tasted a few, and we ended up ordering a case to ship to our home. My husband was driving so he didn't partake--how do people manage that? This was my first experience winetasting. I love wine but am not very knowledgeable and felt a little intimidated. It was a beautiful winery though, with gardens and umbrella tables set up for picnics.

We also stopped in Healdsburg for a snack later in the day and hung out a bit there. A nice town, but a much different atmosphere than Mendocino.

I would love to go back with just my husband and stay in Mendocino again, this time in a bed and breakfast where we can be pampered! Those of you from California, I hope you realize how lucky you are!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice--it was very helpful.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Glad you had a nice trip. Mendocino is one of our favorites- been there 3 times. Wish you had stopped at Pacific Star Winery instead of doing the Skunk Train. Did you have any memorable meals or restaurants to mention while there?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Restaurants we ate at in Mendocino:

First night, just the girls and my husband again --teenage son stayed at the house and ate the leftover pizza his concerned Mom had ordered for him the night before at Sea Ranch. His beloved Cubs were playing the Giants so he could watch it on TV. The four of us ate at Moose, which was excellent.

Second night, we ate at the Mendocino Cafe at their outdoor porch. Also very good, and the best place for a group our size and with "kids." A nice little kitty snuggled up on the bench to nap by my son as we ate. My fish was excellent and I liked the more casual atmosphere.

By the third night, we were running out of options for restaurants that the picky 17 yr-old would like (can you tell I'm ready to travel without kids for the first time in 24 years?!) We ended up on the porch at MacCallum House since they had a bistro menu and that was quite good as well.

The town is definitely more geared to couples than families, although my kids liked it very much and being older, it wasn't a problem. I think it would be so romantic to go there with just my husband and hope to do so sooner rather than later!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Yes, kids can be a bummer on the culinary end. I like Mendo Cafe a lot, too. If you and your husband can schedule a mid-week getaway, there are some GREAT bargains for Mendocino on www.luxurylink.com

We've used that twice for dirt cheap visits to the Brewery Gulch and MacCallum House in April.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Linda, thanks for the tip; I'll check that out.

I wish we had gone to Pacific Star also. I brought a printout of your Mendocino tips with us on the trip and wanted to go there. But the kids wanted to do the Skunk train, and you have to compromise when you're in a group that size.

My middle daughter turns 21 in September, and she was most resistant to going to wineries since she couldn't taste (and is used to being able to drink at college!)

Next time, we'll have to do the things we missed. It gives us an excuse to go back!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Things we didn't see but thought we would in Northern California:

whales (I guess we need to go in winter)
otters/sea lions (saw lots in Monterey in April 3 yrs ago)

More seafood on the menus in Mendocino. Every restaurant had one or two fish entrees, usually salmon or halibut, and they were very good, but we were surprised there weren't more, and no shellfish such as oysters, scallops, or shrimp. My husband did have some great mussles at Moose.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the report.

I thought of you on Monday. As you may remember we were at Sea Ranch for a family wedding that weekend. We came home on Monday. If that was the day you drove up, there is a good chance we passed each other on Highway 1.

I am glad you trip was a good one.