San Francisco/Wine Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveled with husband for his business, for seven days.

Arrived in San Francisco about 9 pm...very very scary taxi ride into downtown (discovered all the taxi drivers drive like this ). Check-in at the W Hotel was not fun...apparently the bottom level is a club on Friday and Saturday nights...supposed to be seperate from lobby, but you couldn't tell that from the blaring music and crowds of people. Not what you want to run into when you're exhausted from a plane trip.

Only had double room, it was small but lovely. Beds were amazingly comfortable. Slept like a rock every night. The prices at this hotel were INSANE. Everyone in my husbands group were complaining ($16 hamburgers...breakfast for he and I one morning ran to $48). Service just depended upon who was at the front desk. Some friendly and helpful, others couldn't be bothered. Conceirge was horrid...too busy talking to his friend to help. Rolled his eye when I asked for a map, worse when I came back to ask another question. I had a swollen knee so asked if there was a bus I could take to Union Square...conceirge said "you could throw a stone and hit Union Square, you should walk"..I said, "I really don't want to"...his response "no, there is no bus". I found out the next day that the #30 pulled up across the street from the hotel and took you straight into Union Square. Grrrr... So would I recommend this hotel? Not for business..not for families, and not for romance. Mebbe for young people, with money to spend, looking to party for the weekend.

The second day there was a free day for husband, so we got up early to tour. Hit Chinatown around 9 am...it was incredible! Like being in a different country...husband said it reminded him exactly of Taiwan, minus the English translations on things. Never realized you could have dim sum for breakfast, but we did...at a place called Golden Dragon. It was yummy...don't know what I ate, don't want to know what I ate. Did manage to steer clear of the chickens feet It was funny, we were the only caucasions in the restaurant and when they seated us they put down forks with the chopsticks...they didn't do this with any of the other customers. Thoughtful, I thought, not to make us ask...though we didn't embarrass ourselves with the chopsticks. Walked down to North Beach. LOVE LOVE North Beach! I almost regretted having already eaten b/c there were so many places I wanted to stop and eat down there. I knew this was the "Italian" part of town, but I assumed this was just for tourist sake...but nope, walked into a coffee shop and the customers and people behind the counter were speaking Italian to each other.

Per recommendations, I headed over to Liguria Bakery to get the fresh foccacia. OMG!!!! We literally spent the whole day munching on the INCREDIBLE garlic foccacio. I hate that I don't have this place in my town. We then spent time in Washington Square Park (??) where a demonstration was going on...and a wedding going on at the church across the street. Very interesting to watch. We then walked down the road to XOX truffles. We ordered the 20 truffle box (very small truffles) and btwn the two of us finished off the box 30 minutes later! SOOOOO good.

By then our feet and legs were really suffering. We live in Texas...the only walking we tend to do is to our car and back. So we hoped on a bus and headed over to Palace of Fine Arts. The houses in the Marina District were amazing...and it was so quiet over there compared to downtown. I loved interior SF, but I could REALLY go crazy listening to the honking horns and avoiding mad taxi drivers. Palace of Fine ARts was just gorgeous, we took some pics and rested for a while, then went and sat on the sea wall at the Yacht Club. Very relaxing, just looking out at the bay, golden gate, blue skies, not too cold. When we felt our legs could take it we headed back to the hotel and CRASHED. Dinner was at Chevy's across the street...so-so, nothing special.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

trip report..cont.

The next day husband had to start doing business, so I took the train to Dublin to meet up with a friend who lives in Livermore. I completely admire the transit system SF has...I have never really done busses or trains in my life, but this was very easy to figure out and handy to just about everywhere I went. We spent the afternoon at a BBQ festival in Petaluma. Petaluma was amazing...quaint and charming (expensive according to my friend ) The whole area over there was lovely, with the rolling hills. The next few days after I was on my own, so spent some time at Union Square and MOMA. Union Square, I could have avoided...very crowded, and not that interesting. I imagine if you're from an area that doesn't have much in the way of shopping, it would be fun. But most of the stores there I have in my area or close by. Ate dinner at Scalas. Scalas would have been nice...but it was overcrowded, very loud, and the service was HORRIBLE. My version of showing displeasure with service is to leave 15% instead of 20% tip, but this girl was so bad I left only like a 5% tip. The service was not worthy of the food. The pork chop was just unbelievable...highly recommend it. It was proceeded by drinks at Harry Dentons Starlight Room...fun, a bit in the way of faded glory, but charming in it's own way. The MOMA was worth the trip, I thought. I am generally only a marginal fan of modern art, but I really enjoyed their inclusion of other forms of art such as photography, media and architectural. Lunch at the MOMA's cafe was nice, but no worth the hassle. Sandwich WAS great, but it was such an insane mad house, it made it hard to enjoy the food.

When husbands business concluded, we stayed two more days for fun. We moved over to the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf. During the week, so we got it on Priceline for $65/night. I wouldn't say that the Hyatt there is worth what one normally pays for that hotel (online it was $180/night)...but location is handy. We did the quick tour of the Wharf, saw the sea lions, had the chowder in the bowl at Boudins, ice cream at Ghiradelli's (yummy!). But we really wanted to see some of the surrounding area, so we rented a car, and headed UP Highway One. Scary, beautiful drive all at once We made it all the way to Bodega Bay...hoped to get a picture of the schoolhouse from "The Birds" but failed to find it. Ate at The Tides...horrible, awful, avoid at all costs. There was absolutely zero seasoning practically in the food, pretty much Luby's Cafeteria quality...at large prices.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

trip report, cont. again...

The following day we headed bright and early into the wine country. First we hit Sonoma and Ravenswood. They were very friendly, and husband enjoyed trying the wines. St. Francis was pretty, but thought the wine was just okay. Headed over the Napa, first stop Stags Leap Wine Cellars. Found them fairly snotty and unfriendly. Prices were more expensive then what we can find in our local wine shop. We also tasted at Neibaum Coppola, and Cakebread. While Coppola was the most fun in terms of what there was to see, Cakebread was the friendliest and most informative for non-tour tastings. We stopped at Oakville Grocery for picnic goods...about lost my mind trying to get around that store and the crush of people. Bought some wonderful cheeses though...yummmm..still thinking about the goat cheese we had.

We had intended to eat in Napa, but we just decided to head back. Stopped on our way back in for the view of Golden Gate from the old military place overlooking it (name escapes me). Lord, what a view! And COLD! Which for those of us leaving 90-something degree weather was great. We hit the top of that hill about the time that the famous fog was creeping in, and it was a sight to behold. Great pictures!

Dinner was spent in North Beach again...we went in for dinner at Mooses, but the jazz band was too loud, it was incredibly warm inside, and we just needed a more mellow place. Back out we went, opting for dinner at Fior D'Italia (we almost went into Rose Pistola, the menu looked amazing, but also overly crowded and loud). Fior D'Italia was surprisingly good...I assumed b/c it was touting itself as the oldest restaurant in the neighborhood, it would be all "image", but the bolognese sauce was wonderful, and the pasta fantastic and made on premises. Took the bus back to the hotel (almost dying in the process..some of those bus drivers are insane...he came VERY close to t-boning a car, and trying to avoid it pretty much flung people across the bus).

Since I failed to really go into specifics on the Hyatt, let me just say that the service was nice, it was clean and functional. Not one of the nicer Hyatt's, but certainly not a dog by any means. Just overpriced.

Next morning, sad to leave. Had a great time...September really is a great time to visit SF. Can't wait to return!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 09:14 PM

What a great trip report - and so right on when it comes to the "W". I remember going to their XYZ restaurant and having a drink at the crowded bar. It was very much a twenty-something scene. Reminded me very much of the Hard Rock in Vegas. Young and sexy everywhere - but loud and attitude filled.

Glad you had a good time - early September really is THE month to visit San Francisco.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Branv: what a lively and fun report! Thanks very much for sharing your trip with us!

Glad you had a good time and come back soon!
Jason
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Branv,
I'm glad you had a good trip.
I agree that the coast road around Bodega Bay can be very challenging if you are not used to it. Also agree with your assessment of the food at Inn at the Tides - I found it totally bland as well.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Branv, when I reports like yours I feel kinda sorry I live in SF and can't visit and see it all for the first time