Trip report for California wine trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I just got back from a trip to CA to visit one of my best friends from Folsom. We left the Sacramento airpot on Sat. around 1:00 and drove to Paso Robles where we had reservations at the Paso Robles Inn.
The room we had at the Inn was very old but the location is in downtown and close to lots of restaurants. I don't think I would stay there again, although the gardens outside of the rooms were beautiful and it looks like they have some nicer, newer rooms that may just be more expensive.

We were able to walk to dinner right across the town park. We had reservations at Bistro Laurent. I highly recommend it. It is very small and intimate and the staff was great. We were early for our reservation because we were tired and didn't have anything else to do. As soon as we walked in the door, we started talking to a group of people who had been wine tasting all day and were in a party mood. So we joked around with them. We sat at the bar and ordered a glass of wine while waiting. It was Victor Hugo Pinot Noir or Zin, I can't remember which now because I have had so many different wines since then! But it was delicious. We tried to order another glass after we got to our table but they were out of it so the maitre'd or possibly he was the owner, brought out another bottle and just started offering it to everyone. We were sitting next to the winemaker from Summerwood winery who was out for dinner with his wife for the first time since their baby was born. The couple sitting next to them were really into the wine tasting and discussing. The guy kept smelling, smelling, smelling to get the nose of the wine until my girlfriend made a comment to tease him about it and he immediately handed her his glass for her to smell it and taste it. So it seemed like everyone in the place was having a wonderful time and it was almost like being at a party!

The next morning we went to Cowgirl Cafe for a big breakfast so we would be ready for lots of wine tasting.
We went to quite a few wineries so I will list them and give a brief opinion:
1. Summerwood- beautiful building and grounds, and tasting room, good wines, loved the young man who poured for us, we conversed with him about everything, wine, music, etc. I bought a bottle of Chardonney.
2. Peachy Canyon- cute old house, older gentleman pouring who was fun to talk to. The owner happened in with his wife to tell everyone about his recent trip to New Orleans to do wine tastings, how successful they were, and how they sold out of most of the wines they took with them. He took time to talk to us personally also. I bought a bottle of their Syrah 2001.
3. Meridian- big and impressive, nice gifts, and nice staff. We bought a case of Chard to split because it was on sale for 75 a case. There was a big, black cat hanging around outside who was very coy at first and then started getting closer and closer and became our new best friend!

4. Bianchi-WOW- the tasting room is absolutely stunning! The tasting staff were young girls who all go to Cal Poly and they were telling us about all of the events they have planned at the winery which sounded like lots of fun. I bought a bottle of Red Zin and took lots of pictures.

5. EOS-Big beautiful tasting room but I wasn't that impressed with the wines.
6. Martin and Weyrich-Another beautiful tasing room, great gift shop, and I loved their wines. I might consider joining their club. I bought a bottle of Pinot Grigio and Chard.

6. Wild Coyote-really neat location up in the hills with darling adobe building with a kiva fireplace. I didn't buy any wine but you got the glass with a tasting fee.

7. Tablas Creek- I had heard about this place from everyone. Their tasting room is very simple and the wines are good. The only thing I ended up buying was a bottle of their Vin de Paille- a $65.00 bottle of dessert wine for my daughter and her husband.

8. Justin- I loved the building and grounds and since my son and son-in -law are both name Justin, I bought a T shirt for son, the glass with the tasting and a bottle of Traditional Obtuse. Lots of pictures here. They have a nice restaurant and Inn.

I will continue this trip report later. Suffice to say that Paso Robles has wonderful wineries and we wish we could have gone to more. It was so much fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Hi, Jet519!

Thanks for a great report! It's been years since I've been down to the wineries in that area, although once in a while I get a gift of a wine from there. Got an Edna Canyon Port and a Saucelito Canyon also last time - drank them all!

Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

To continue my trip report: After all of the wineries, we drove to Cambria where we had reservations at Moonstone Landing on Moonstone beach drive. We got there just in time for their evening appetizers. It is a very nice place and we were jumping up and down when we walked into our room because the ocean was right there within seeing and hearing distance. We had a gas fireplace and a nice deck to sit and watch the waves. The bathrooms are very nice too, big with a glass shower and tub with jets in it. They also have a very nice breakfast in the morning. We ate dinner at the Sea Chest which was right next door. It was a cute place and had good food. My daughter had a calamari steak which was suprisingly good. We were afraid it would be chewy but it was very tender.
On Monday, we got up around 7:00 and took a walk along the coast. The weather was very good. Then we had breakfast and took off for Morro bay to see the big rock. From there we went to downtown San Luis Obispo and had lunch at the Artist Cafe where Oprah's favorite sandwich is made. It was very good but the bread is very spicy! We walked over to the mission before leaving to check out a few wineries in the area. We went to Baileyana, Edna Valley and Tolosa. They were all nice with good wines but I liked the Paso wineries better because of the close distance of so many wineries and the diversity of each one.

We made it back to Moonstone Landing in time for appetizers, a bottle of wine from Tolosa, and a gorgeous sunset on our deck. We also got to see some surfers.
That night we went to the Sow's Ear in Cambria for dinner. We decided to split 3 appetizers and they were all wonderful. It has a very cosy atmosphere with a fileplace. There was an older German couple there that we got into a conversation with and the wife kept wanting to leave because she was tired but the man wanted to stay and talk to us. They were so cute!

On Tuesday, we checked out and had reservations at 9:00 a.m. at Hearst Castle for the Experience tour. It was stunning as you might expect. On the way back down to the visitors center in the bus, we came upon two bulls who were in the middle of the road fighting head to head. They were really into it and we didn't think the bus was ever going to be able to get around them. That was a first and something to see.
From there, we went up the road to see the elephant seals and that was fascinating as well. We headed back to Folsom and didn't get to my friends house until around 5:30 or 6:00.

I will continue the trip report tomorrow with some information about the El Dorado and Amador County wineries!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Loved the info for Cambria. Going to be there overnight next week on our trip up the coast. Thanks for the Sows Ear Cafe dining info, sounds good...
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM

You went to many of my favorites in Paso. The zins and merlots we purchased at Wild Coyote don't last long around our house!

Glad you enjoyed the Sow's Ear. The salmon in parchment paper is very good here, as is the chicken fried steak. It's always been a delight to dine here while in Cambria. Cheers! ***kim***
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Cheers to you kimamom, you are the one who gave me all the ideas on where to go! Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

To finish the wine trip report:
On Thursday we went to several wineries in El Dorado which is near Placerville. Boeger has a fairly new big tasting room and nice gifts, beautiful outside area with the original tasting room that I think is over 100 years old still standing on the premises. I didn't buy any wine here though. Next we went to Madrona where we found another black cat friend who slept in his bed by the window of the tasting room on top of a case of wine! Very pretty countryside. We also went to Lava Cap, bought a bottle there and Gold Hill and Venizio. They were very pretty but I passed on the wine because I had already bought quite a few bottles and needed to save for Amador County on Friday.

Amador County is a must visit whenever I go out to the Folsom area. It has beautiful countryside, winding roads, old zin vines, and very personable staff at the wineries which all have free tasting. Our first stop was Bella Piazza. We had a nice chat with the guy doing the pouring and the grounds are beautiful. I bought a bottle of Rio Volpe Old Vine Zin. We were taking pictures when we left and a nice looking young guy asked my beautiful daughter if she was looking for wedding sites. (She is already married) I think he was trying to find out if she was single!!!!
Next we went to Wilderotter which is very small but cute. The lady pouring was lots of fun. I bought a bottle of Viognier.
I can't remember the order of the rest so I will just list and make comments.
Karmere: Big and beautiful tasting room, very new and great wines. I bought a bottle of their Almond champagne and Hayley Empress Zin. All of their wines are named after family members. I would consider joining their wine club but they don't have one yet.
Cooper: The tasting room had lots of barrels all stacked up on one side and they also had some cheese, crackers, etc. on a little table. Nice touch. I bought a bottle of Sangiovese.
Villa Toscana: This is a beautiful setting, very Tuscan with fountains and statues and a big tasting room, gift shop and restaurant. We had a nice lunch sitting outside. We also did some barrel tasting. I have belonged to their wine club for two years and I have enjoyed it very much.
Deaver: They had a full bar of tasters here and the gentleman was lots of fun! I bought some great port there last year, this time I bought Sangiovese. They have a pretty extensive grounds with a big lake.
Story: This has to be one of my favorites. The setting is very pastoral, it has a tiny little tasting room with a deck outside and big old vines right there. We always have a good time here and they let us go behind the counter and take our picture!We went out to the barrels and did some tasting and I bought my first case of futures! It is an Old Zin which I am starting to think is my favorite kind of wine. I am so excited! One of the advantages is that they ship it to me free next year and I got a free bottle of wine to bring home this trip as well. It is so expensive for me to ship the wine I buy out there to IL so I feel this is a bonus.
Our last stop was Youngs. We have heard from everyone about this and usually they are not even open for tasting and sell out very quickly since they don't produce that much. But it is very good. I bought a bottle of guess what? Zinfandel!
I was pretty tipsy by then and thankful I was not driving. If we had gone to one more I might have embarressed myself by staggering!

This was a wonderful trip and my husband and I may be going back in July for my best friend's wedding. If we do, we are definitely spending a day in Amador County.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips, love this forum.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM

a question! just found out that we happen to be in paso robles for the wine festival in the park which is super exciting... BUT, the only hotel i could find was the Budget Inn of Paso Robles. Does anyone have any info on this place? is it doable? we really want to go to the wine festival and dont want a long drive back to the coast after....
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:41 AM

The Budget Inn used to be mostly weekly rentals, I think, and kind of scary. It's an older motel, but they refurbished the exterior a while back. Maybe they redid the rooms, too? I'd be a little nervous about staying there. There is a great Mexican restaurant right up the street, though!

Have you looked for rooms in Atascadero? It's only 15 miles south...
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Thereis a new Hampton Inn Suites in Paso Robles which just opened a year or so ago.

I don't know of anywhere to stay in Atascadero.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:30 PM

we looked all around paso robles and close towns and everything is totally full for that night... our only option was to stay on the coast, but we would rather not drive that far so we can "enjoy" the festival a bit more.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Curious? How long does it take to get from Cambria to Hearst Castle? Trying to book a time for my July trip & staying in Cambria the nite before----thinking 9 or 10--10 let ya see the movie beforehand--did you see the IMAX movie, etc?--worth bothering to watch or just sorta well whitewashed propaganda--to be overly blunt ?

Thought about just doing 9 tour as anxious to get up to my room at Big SUr and explore that area!
Thanks,
af
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Hi Alan,

Fifteen or 20 minutes, I think; no more than that. The IMAX theater is cool if you've never been in one before.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Hi jet519 - I very much enjoyed your interesting and informative trip report. Just a quick question on Paso Robles, you mentioned that you didn't recommend the PR Inn but that it was within walking distance of restaurants etc., were there any other hotels that had the same advantage.
I am partially sighted and therefore no longer drive which means my poor husband has to do it all so an evening or two off duty, particularly after a day of wine tasting would be great for him.
One more thing, are there any organised wine tours such as those in Napa, for the same reason.
Many thanks