Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco this sunday - photo ops, places to go by car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending the next week in San Francisco. Monday-Friday I'll be taking the BART in and getting around by public transportation but on Sunday we can go into the city by car. I was thinking I should try to see some of the places that would be hardest to get to by pubic transportation but that seems like it would be Baker Beach/Presidio/GG Park - those areas. Will they likely be very crowded? (Forecast is good!!) Any suggestions for places to go, where to park, etc.

Any other suggestions for things that would be worth doing by car in the area? (I'm staying in Lafayette with my son, he works during the week but so far we have no plans for Sunday). On my last trip I drove around the area north of the GG Bridge/Sausilito/ Muir Woods so I'm looking for something else.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM

Uhh the weather is beautiful so yes it will be crowded. There is a parking lot at GG Park that will also likely be crowded.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 02:37 PM

What about a ride down to Half Moon Bay or Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel or 17 mile Drive.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Sunday's weather is predicted to be awesome, warm sunshine. Unless you can get to Golden Gate Park early--before 10, I would say--it will likely be hard to find parking. Go early! The blossoms in the Japanese Tea Garden are in full bloom. I f you are up to walking, you can probably park deeper into the park, nearer Ocean Beach (keep driving til you find something). That part of the park is much, much less crowded. If you don't like crowds, postpone your visit to the main part of GG Park (the museum area) until a weekday. Public transportation to the park is quite good--you can take the N train, for example, from downtown and get off at any number of streets along Irving that will lead you into the park.

The Presidio is a fine place to visit with a car. I was there last Saturday, walking at Fort Winfield Scott, and was enthralled with the coastal views. No crowds, either! Parking info here: http://www.presidio.gov/transportati...x#.UyOhuc7DW6U

Ocean Beach will have more room than others because of its wide expanse (but also easily access by public transit).

You could go another direction and drive to Bernal Heights and enjoy that charming local neighborhood, including the great views from Bernal Hill. Low-key but fun.

How about taking the ferry to Angel Island and hiking around the island? Views will be spectacular. You could drive to Tiburon and ferry from there. http://www.angelislandferry.com/Ferr.../Schedule.aspx, though I don't know what the parking's like in Tiburon.

Whatever you do, it will be a gorgeous weekend to do it on!
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like some good suggestions. Can't wait to see San Francisco in the sunshine. Last time I was there (two years ago this week) it rained for 5 days.

I plan to go to GG Park (and the museums) at least one other day but was thinking that Sunday would be a good day to get to some of the farther out areas when I have access to a car. But I don't want to spend the whole day looking for parking either.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 08:31 PM

I would spend the entire day north of the GG Bridge in the GGNRA. Click on my name and find the drive over the GG Bridge, to Cozelman, and the Marin Headlands. Fantastic - nothing better on a sunny Sunday.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:17 PM

I agree with Stu and he's the expert. We really enjoyed Muir Woods in that area.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OP did Muir Woods, Marin on her last trip and wants something different. Go with April's plan.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM

I don't think the OP visited the GGNRA/Marin Headlands area with the "best views" in the Bay Area, IMO. Views back to The City through & over the Golden Gate Bridge. WWII Bunkers & Batterys to explore - with views to SF, the Golden Gate, down the coast to San Mateo County. Marine Mammal Center, Rodeo Cove, Pt Bonita lighthouse, Fort Barry, Ft Cronkit, visitors center. Accessed by Conzelman. This is nowhere near Muir Woods, and on the "other" side of 101 from Sausalito.

Get there early

Visit Ft Point before and after the trip over the GG Bridge for different views (GG Bridge in AM & City in PM).

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM

Update on GG Park: spent the afternoon there today with friends from out of town. Arrived about 1:00 -- our lunch in Noe Valley went a little later than we planned. Found parking! The Japanese Tea Garden is indeed in full bloom (amazing!) but wasn't overwhelmed with people, surprisingly. There were fewer people than usual on a weekend at the DeYoung--most were enjoying the day outside, I guess. Walked into the timed Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit with no delay--stunning. I was pleasantly surprised.