San Francisco/Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know there have been tons of posts on this subject. I am posting several specific questions and hope not to raise the ire of the forum regulars.

Spending 4 nights in SF in late September; will be new "empty nesters" back home. Staying at the Harbor Court near the Ferry Building. Have read a lot about all the upscale dining options like the Slanted Door, but would like recommendations for the following:

1) The best dinner in Chinatown. A place locals love, not too expensive.

2) A great latin dinner in the Mission district.

3) An early dinner before an evening Alcatraz tour.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Personally, I am not a big fan of Chinatown eating. Most places there don't meet my comfort level, they're crowded and don't appear real clean, IMO.

I have only eaten at Foreign Cinema in the Mission which isn't a Latin dinner.

But for #3, if you arrive early, Tadich Grill is a great option for a good San Francisco experience. Big menu, local hangout, good service, mostly good tables and no reservations are excepted.

Myth serves a wonderful dinner, but you'll definitely need reservations. Their website is www.mythsf.com. Both are within walking distance of your hotel, though taking a taxi is still an option. Also, your hotel is right down the street from Boulevard, which is one of SF's best rated restaurants.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:50 AM

After I posted I thought I'd just suggest some of the great eating options within an easy walk of your hotel.

Town Hall on Howard Street (American)
Roy's on Mission Street (asian fusion)
Cosmopolitan Cafe (lively scene)
Kokkari Estiatorio (romantic ambiance)
One Market at 1 Market Street (great burgers, white linen place)
Palomino (nice patio on Embarcadero)
Gordon Biersch (brewpub)
Chaya Brasserie
Yank Sing (dim sum lunch)
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM

cindyj-

In Chinatown we always eat at Hunan Home's [622 Jackson St.] I've had better in Beijing but not in the bay area. It may well be the best in the city regardless of cost. (it is "not too expensive" and not expensive at all by SF standards).

http://hunanhome.ypguides.net/

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Chinatown: if you like spicy foods, try any restaurant with "Hunan" or "Szechuan" in it.

The Chinatowns in the US were mostly Cantonese. To try a Cantonese restaurant, there's the Far East Cafe on Grant Street, right in the middle of SF Chinatown.

Chinatown is better for noontime meals, for "dim sum". Try New Asia or Miriwa on Pacific, or Gold Mountain on Broadway, if you happen to be in Chinatown during lunch hour.

Mission: We had a great lunch in a hole-in-the-wall place called Balompie's at 3349 18th Street in the Mission. The clientele are mostly locals and non English speakers. Real local place and great El Salvadoran food. Check it out on yelp.com.

Alcatraz tour: Place near where the boat tour leaves is Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 area. It'll be better to dine where Parrothead has suggested, close to your hotel.

Then, take a taxi/public transportation to the tour area.

A fairly good restaurant with a great view is McCormick and Kuleto's at Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf area.

Happy dining!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM
dmlove

If you don't want a real dinner before your Alcatraz tour, the wine bar at the Ferry Building is fun.

If you like "fancy" Thai, Osha Thai at Four Embarcadero (about a block from your hotel) is very good.

The bar at Ozumo (next door to your hotel, I think) is always hopping. I've never eaten there, though.

Perbacco (No. Italian) on California (maybe right next door to Tadich's) is very good and pleasant place.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies so far. I will 'digest' this evening. We're from Portland, MAINE, but even here we know the difference between Cantonese and Hunan; the later introduced to our region in the 70's! I especially like the wine bar option!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM

cindyj,

please let me clarify about Hunan Homes; even though it has the Chinese provence Hunan in the name, the food isn't spicy/hot Hunan food (but they do have some hot dishes if you want). [I was a guest lecturer in Changsha, Hunan once so if you want hot/spicy Hunan food I'd be happy to recommend.]

as for other restaurants reccommended I would second: Roy's. Gordon Biersch (brewpub), especially Yank Sing for lunch $$$, and Ozumo.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM

The Empress of China on Grant in Chinatown is our favorite. It was first recommended to us for a trip 15 years ago and was just as good on our last visit Sept 2005. It has lovely views, excellent food and is reasonably priced. We prefer menu rather than dim sum and went for dinner. There were definitely tourists there but also plenty of Chinese, both in the dining room and large private parties.

Love San Francisco. Also loved Portland and your great lighthouse.
Have fun!