San Francisco Lion King

Search

San Francisco Lion King

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Lion King

We are taking our daughters to the Lion King Saturday afternoon. Had planned to have dinner after at Roy's. Our kids are picky eaters, but they like the kids menu there. There has been a change of plans and now we can't stay for dinner. Trying to come up with a place for lunch. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM

I was researching SF as we almost went to the Lion King for V-Day. We were going to stay at the Fairmont, where there is the Tonga Room that sounds really fun but I don't know how the food is there.

Maybe someone who has been there could give us a heads-up on the food. Have a great time! I hope to catch the performance sometime before it leaves town. ***kim***

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Tonga Room sounds like fun, but it is not open for lunch. Maybe another time.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Look up Citizen Cake and see if they are open for lunch on the day of your outing. The food is very good, but here's the part the kids will love - for dessert, you can either order off the menu, OR you can walk up to the display cases at the front (Citizen Cake is a bakery and patisserie as well as a restaurant) and choose whatever catches your fancy. Last time I went, I chose (from the display case) a strawberry pudding and a plate of homemade chocolates. Sigh....
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Forgot to mention, Citizen is within walking distance IF you don't mind walking off some of the calories - about 4 to 6 blocks, if I recall correctly.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:54 PM

The food is ok at the Tonga Room, the real draw there is the drinks and the atmosphere. I thinks it's best as a place to go after dinner for drinks or for the Friday Happy Hour buffet. Pupu's as far as the eye can see!
Kids always like Max's Opera Cafe near the Civic center. They have a kid and adult friendly menu and amazing desserts. You could probably even get your waiter to sing a song from the Lion King.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Kimamom, you've never even been in the Fairmont Hotel, let alone the Tonga Room and you're recommending it? Please spare us the wannabe drivel.

To the poster: The Grand Cafe in the Hotel Monaco is an excellent place for you and your family. It's a 1/2 block down from the Curran, so it's an easy walk. The menu is French-California, which is nice. They have wood-fired pizzas for your kids, like Roy's, and other food served on petite plates for your kids. Unlike, the Tonga Room, which is overpriced, NOT open for lunch and mediocre at best - go for drinks and pupus only, the Grand Cafe serves an excellent meal.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the tip, Viamar! I would want to go just for the atmosphere and fun of the place. When we stay at the Fairmont, I'll definitely check it out! ***kim***
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
SAB

deby whilst TravelTess's advice might be well taken if the Lion King was being performed at the Curran, I'm sure you realize that it is in fact being performed at the Orpheum and that is not within 1/2 a block of the Grand Cafe.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Oh SAB you are so right. I live in San Francisco and completely forgot that it's not at the Curran. That would place the scenario even farther from The Tonga Room as Kimamom suggested, even though she's never dined there. She might as well have suggested the wharf. Surprised she didn't.

SAB, You neglected to make a suggestion. Do you have one for the poster?

To the OP - I suggest you dine at LuLu. They're open for lunch, very good, fabulous reputation and have pizzas for the kids.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. So many choices that all sound tempting. Guess we will need to make a decision soon. Thanks again!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:46 PM

TravelTess
Date: 02/25/2004, 12:08 pm

Message: Kimamom, you've never even been in the Fairmont Hotel, let alone the Tonga Room and you're recommending it? Please spare us the wannabe drivel.

My word, Tess! I've been reading through this board and can't believe your comments to Kinnamon on ANY subject she posts to! They are always so rude and nasty! Why the vendetta? It doesn't reflect well on you, I must say!
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:25 PM

For little kids, I'd suggest Lori's Diner. They have a website, can't remember exactly, but probably www.lorisdiner.com.

There are several in the immediate neighborhood, but the closest one is probably the one on Powell.

Lulu's is more a pizza and chicken place, a bit further away than Lori's, but still good for kids.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Lori's diners: Mason between Geary and O'Farrell and Sutter@Powell. Just showing off my knowledge here