Reload this Page >

Great restaurants near Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:16 PM
JC Page

I would like suggestions for great restaurants within easy walking distance of the Fairmont Hotel(950 Mason Street).A great restaurant has unique wonderful food that stands above the good food served at many other restaurants,great quiet ambiance,pleasant service,and a tab for two of $100(w/out tax& tip).

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:44 AM
Barbara

The Nob Hill Cafe on Taylor Street fits all of your criteria.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:07 PM
Sweet

Not quite sure of the location but I believe there is an Outback Steakhouse in San Francisco. This place is ALWAYS crowded around my house. They have great steaks in an "Australian outback" atmosphere. They have a new program where you can call ahead and put yourself on the "waiting for a table" list so if you're on vacation you won't lose time.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:10 PM
Sarah

Zagat survey go to website.

My sister was at the Fairmont in August, she thought she could rely on the consierge and maybe people she met at tourist attractions (later for lunch spots). She said her biggest mistake was not getting a zagats and leaving restaurants up to chance.

OF COURSE SHE WILL HEAR THE I TOLD YOU SO FROM ME WHENEVER THE SUBJECT COMES UP!!!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:29 PM
Tom

Sweet (or should I say "Admiral")

JC Page said she is looking for GREAT restaurants, NOT mediocre chains like Outback and Red Lobster. Get a clue...

JC,

Cafe Mozart is just around the corner from the Fairmont toward Union Square. Small, continental restaurant with great food and a wonderful ambience (quite romantic). I believe they are only open for dinner so get directions from the concierge and walk by to check it out during the day (it's only about a five minute walk). Great little place.

Tom

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:41 PM
Sweet

Have you ever eaten at Outback Steakhouse? Why are there always lines to get into this place? Because it is one of the best restaurants around!! Their steaks are supreme! Salads are really good--unusual dressings.

Maybe you were intimidated by the crowds or something but this is a great place. Why would you pick an empty restaurant to eat at? Go to busy place because it is busy for a reason.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:50 PM
Tom

Sweet (Admiral, etc.),

I did not mean to offend you. I'm very happy that you like the Outback and Red Lobster chains, but I seriously doubt they are listed as "great" restaurants in any dining guide on Earth.

These two restaurants are among the many middle-of-the-road chains that appeal to the masses because they are casual and inexpensive. Their food is not "great", their service is mostly average to poor and their ambience is gimmicky.

And, yes, I have eaten at them but as rarely as is humanly possible.

Tom

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:42 PM
kam

Venticello is walking distance to the Fairmont---just off Nob Hill. Little Italian, crowded, very popular, not great but one of our favorites and would fit your budget. You'll need a reservation well ahead. Otherwise, you might want to check www.opentable.com Some SF restaurants are offering fixed price meals at $25-30 pp. but know that a great restaurant under $100/twois difficult.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:05 PM
chris

http://bayarea.citysearch.com/search?long=-1224110&lat=377923&type=grid&miles=.25&context=res taurants&flavor_id=2&start=1

Lists restaurants near the Fairmont and ranks them.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:53 AM
Restauranteur

I have found both Outback Steakhouse and Red Lobster to be very good. They both have great food and service and represent an excellent value for the money.

Just because they are chains, it does not mean that these are not good quality restaurants. Whenever I have been in New York City there is a chain steak place called Tad's Steaks which is always has people lined up wall to wall. I finally tried and I know why. They have great steaks at a reasonable price because it is cafeteria style without waiters/waitresses and they pass the savings on to the customer. There is also a Tad's Steaks in San Francisco at 120 Powell St. at Ellis St. The steaks are 10-12-oz, are char-broiled right in front of you as you wait, and are served with a baked potato, salad, and a roll. ? $10.99.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:09 AM
gc

Sweet and Outback lovers,
I think you're missing the message here. I can go to any Outback, anywhere, and get the same Great steak. If I'm on Nob hill, I want to go th Schroeders, Tadich's, Forneau's Ovens in the Stanford Court....
(If these places are gone...I'm really dating myself.)
http://www.epinions.com/rest-Restaur...l-Tadich_Grill

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:23 AM
James

Does anyone really think the "Outback Steakhouse" person is anything but a troll? Don't try to talk sense with this person, just ignore them.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:45 AM
XXX

James, So what you are saying is that anyone who has been to a chain restaurant is a troll. I can;t imagine that you have never been to a chain place, so I guess that you are also a troll.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:40 AM
David

JC,

La Coupole is a great little French restaurant about 5 -10 minute walk from the Fairmont. Nice ambience, wonderful food and professional service. I can't remember the street but I'm sure the hotel can direct you.

Wonderful sole meuniere and choucroute!

Davidcs

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:17 AM
Shane

Another vote for Tad's Steaks. For the price I was amazed at how good the food was.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:19 AM
x

Farallon for seafood. I think we walked there from the Fairmont is less than 10 minutes.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:25 AM
James

I never said that anyone who has been to a chain restaurant is a troll. However, JC said that they were looking for a restaurant NEAR the fairmont with UNIQUE WONDERFUL food. Also looking for a tab for two around $100.

The poster mentioned the OUtback Steakhouse at least twice, perhaps three times. Offering useless information multiple times makes it fairly certain that this is a troll.

I have eaten at many chain restaurants and if people asked for good cheap restaurants, I'd recommend the good ones. But JC clearly stated what they were looking for.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:40 PM
kal

"Easy walking distance" in SF can be very a relative term! Especially at the F'mont Hotel's location.

We were at a conference in SF with some people from KC and they were complaining about the 2 block walk from Union Sq, up Powell to the Orchard Hotel on Bush.

You are still only a $5/10 cab ride away from about any excellent SF restaurant from the Fairmont.
Enjoy.
Kal

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Susan

Kal, so true! Bring your leg muscles for hikes to and from the Fairmont! And it is true, you can hop in a cab and get anywhere. Actually, you can take the cable car down to North Beach and back, it runs until around 12:30pm, I believe.

And James, you aren't following your own advice! Clearly somebody was hoping to get your goat and you let them.