San Francisco- Jewish areas/sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a "Jewish" area in SF? I was wondering if there is a synagogue and of course authentic area deli's?? OR- do I have to go to NYC!!!
thanx -Mo
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
trippinkpj

I personnaly don't know, but there is a SF Bay Area Google group called ba.food that I think will have good suggestions for you.
Oh, I did think of one in the Theatre district (on Geary Sreet, David's:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...an_francisco-i

It's a little pricey, but good. I'm not Jewish or a New Yorker, but went to Katz' many years ago and loved it.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Hello Mocat, there certainly are synagogues in SF. If you go onto Google you will find the information and addresses.

There use to be a couple of deli's I loved but they are no longer in business. But check out David's which is on Geary between Taylor and Mason..they have been in business for ages..maybe 40 plus years. I do not know if they are Kosher.

Also, if you do come to SF you might want to go to Lincoln Park. By the Palace of the Legion of Honor is the very moving Holocaust Memorial which was created by the well know sculpture George Segal. This memorial was created in the early 1980's in memory of course of all the victims of the Holocaust. Best regards.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Hi trippinkpj..we both thought of David's at the same time evidently!
I clicked on the website you posted..David's doesn't sound very good to me. Mocat, hopefully someone else here on Fodor's can steer you to a good Jewish Deli! Maybe you will have to go to NYC.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Haven't been therein a long time, but there used to be a Solomon's deli just a couple of doors down from David's. We liked it better. Is it gone?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM

I've been to David's and didn't particularly like it. There is a Jewish Museum, too although I haven't been to it. There are several synagogues and a large Jewish community center with activities, gift shop, etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:43 PM

During my single days, I dated a man from one of SF's most prominent families. They belonged to Temple Emanu-el. http://www.emanuelsf.org They did not like David's at all. They preferred Chinese and French food.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM

The days of a "Jewish area" in SF are long gone. Just to name a few synagogues, we have Conservative (Beth Sholom, Reform (Temple Emanuel) and of course Orthodox shuls.

There are no really good delis any more, but lots of bagel places. Some good, some not so good.

The closest to Jewish restaurants, although not kosher, are the Russian restaurants in the Richmond District, along with numerous bakeries and Russian Delis etc...

The Jewish Center is in a beautiful new building and has a good restaurant and many activities.

What are you looking for? Where are you coming from?

NY and SF are two entirely different places, Jewish and
American- wise. Apples and oranges, or the Big Apple and the Orange Bridge.

If you are kosher, than eating meat in restaurants is impossible, but more and more places are featuring vegetarian dishes and of course our fish is fabulous.

My kosher mother lived here for most of her life and she was able to enjoy the City to it's fullest.

Nina
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM

There is no such thing as "Jewish area" in SF. If you're kosher, you'll have difficult time to eat.

The only 2 "kosher" food stores are run by Russians, I would call them questionnable. And if you're staying in the downtown area, they are way out of the way.

Some kosher food is sold in Safeway, Cala Foods, Albertson's and such. A glatt kosher restaurant is... in China-town! Out of all places!

If you are not kosher, then David's and Max's in the Union Square area.

The Contemporary Jewish Museum is having an Israeli exhibit probably till mid-July. Great exhibit!

Another Jewish Museum is in Berkeley, a car is needed.

There are some sights, like the above-mentioned Holocaust memorial, Haas-Liliental house (is it still opened?)

Lots of synagogues of every denomination! And orthodox one designed for tourists, is in downtown, where are you staying?

When are you coming? We'll have a HUGE Jewish cultural festival in Palo Alto in September.

Probably the best source of information is the "resource" magazine:

http://www.sfjcf.org/resources/guide/

If you have questions for me, I can be reached at [email protected]

I live in the city.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Just remembered: there is another glatt kosher on the same block as David's, a small one, with a take-out... now what's its name?

Usually kosher food for Jewish events is catered from out-of-the-city.

Nina66, there WAS a Jewish restaurant at JCC. Now it's a cafe with an entrance from inside JCC and a chinese restaurant in its place.

Do you know this old, old joke? If Jewish civilization is 6,000 years old, and Chinese is only 4,000 years old, where did the Jews have dinner for 2,000 years?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Sholem Faina: The Chinese cooked in the Jewish homes!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Oh, I knew somebody would come to the rescue

Maybe you know the name of the kosher restaurant on the same block as David's, closer to Union square? It's haunting me... but can't recall!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Do you mean This is It Glatt Kosher, Faina? It's better than David's. Isn't Solomon's next door? Of course, what do I know? I'm a shiksa. As for the Chinese - my old beau's parents have had Asian house boys who cooked for them, for years. For generations their family has had them.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM

I was thinking the name is Gladt, but am sure that TravelTress is correct, the name is Glatt.

Mocat, if you do decide to come to SF I hope you will let us know how your visit was..best regards.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM

Soloman's is the restaurant near David's. Loved the Chicken soup with Kreplach.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM

"open table" has 3 restaurants listed as kosher

http://www.opentable.com/rest_list_c....aspx?m=4&f=75

Tess, yes, "this is it" the name I was looking for.

LoveItaly, "glatt" is a hebrew word, not somebody's name
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Hello Faina, not being Jewish I have no idea what Glatt means. I did not say what Glatt means, how could I? Strange comment from you if you don't mind my saying so.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanx for all the info!! I am not kosher, but always to go to the jewish areas when traveling. I'll do what every good jewish person does-- eat chinese & russian food!!! Maybe a few shrimp too!!
Will report on my experiences!! Mo
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Mo, that is exactly what I do when I travel. I see more Jewish sites, areas, synagogues and museums, and I eat more Jewish style food than I do at home.

It makes me feel connected to other Jews and to our history, whether I'm in the US, Europe or any country.

By all means try to visit Temple Emanuel. It is San Francisco's equivalant to a Rothchild synagogue.

San Francisco does not have a Jewish feeling per se, because we Jews have been assimilated for many many years.

A lot of the early financiers, business people etc.. were major contributors to the artistic and cultural scene and their decendents still are - ie: Levi Strauss, MJB Coffee to name two very active old families.

We have a proud philanthropic (sp) heritage in San Francisco.

It's a beautiful city, and you will find everything that you are looking for.

Nina