San Francisco- hotel with character

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being whisked away to SF...early June, for B'day...need place to stay...character?, good location for walking, romantic atomosphere? Any suggestions for hotel, or other must see/do for weekend?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 12:26 AM

We enjoyed the Westin St. Francis a few weeks ago. It's a grand old hotel right on Union Square in the heart of the city. Three great restaurants within the block were Michael Mina in the hotel, an Italian restaurant at the Sir Francis Drake recommended by our concierge, and the restaurant in the rotunda at Nieman Marcus. The hotel is also surrounded by shopping if that's one of your pleasures.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM

ttt
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM

I have always been happy at the Stanford Court, and the Marines' Memorial Hot has tons of character and very many characters.
M
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Hi coldincanada, the restaurant right next to (and connecting to ) the Sir Francis Drake is Scala's Bistro. One of my favorite restaurants in SF!

Their address is 432 Powell St.,SF 94102. Telephone # is 415-395-8555. I think their website is www.scalas.com

They are very popular. So if you want to try them it would probably be a good idea to reserve ahead of time.

Another hotel at Union Sq. is the Villa Florence. They are part of the Kimpton Group. The restaurant attached to their hotel is Kuletos. It is good too.

However, still like Scala's the best :

For North Beach the Mona Lisa restaurant has fantastic food. If you are there might want to at least stop by for lunch. Owner and all employees from Italy.

Yes, the Marine Memorial is fun and interesting. Not sure if I would consider it romantic.

You have lots of choices. Do have fun planning this special birthday - lucky you!

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Another hotel, very expensive though, is the Compton Hotel. Not sure of your budget. Expensive but romantic.

BTW, the St. Francis seems to be split 50/50. Guess it depends on the room one gets. Believe the rooms in the new tower are much better than in the original part of the hotel. Some guest love the St. Francis and others hate it.
My daughter had a room there about a year ago (original part of the hotel) and she said it was terrible and she is not one to fuss over every little thing.

Also, I would not recommend the Sir Francis Drake. Although do check out the doorman in front of the hotel.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM
lovingheart

Rooms at the Sir Francis Drake can be noisy, but Scala's is a good place to eat. I like the bar if I can't get a booth.