San Francisco Hotel Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to San Francisco this year and would like help/recommendations on hotels we are considering -- Hilton Fisherman's Wharf or Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. Any suggestions or reports on these 2 hotels or on other hotels are greatly appreciated since it has been over 30 years since we have been to SF. We want to be near restaurants and shopping on the wharf area.
We do not want to rent a car so recommendations on getting from SFO to downtown area appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Hi Fairway, you can now take BART from SFO to downtown SF. There are also shuttles (I think they cost about $12.00 per person).
Never stay at Fisherman's Wharf so I cannot comment on these hotels you mentioned.
Have a great trip.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I've stayed at the Marriot FW and it was great. The room was kind of small, but well equiped. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and a down comforter. It was easily in walking distance to the piers and close to the cable car turn around.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM

I'd suggest a new Kimpton property hotel called The Argonaut. It's at the end of the fisherman's wharf area. There is shopping all around and a neat little courtyard with live music. A really good chowder house is connected with it. Some of the rooms have bay views-its' nice and clean and new.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Fairway, I just want to make sure - do you understand that F. Wharf and downtown are 2 different areas?

From SFO airport you can take BART, shuttle, taxi - don't you want to go to your hotel first? Then BART is out unless you want to transfer to a bus.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Faina, good point. I just stupidly assumed that Fairway needed to go to "downtown" first before going to their hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.

Well, you know what they say about "assume"!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:26 PM

>>We want to be near restaurants and shopping on the wharf area.<<<

Well, there are plenty of restaurants and shops at the Wharf. If you want to be near good restaurants, and good shops, then don't go near the Wharf.

Here is a write-up I did a while back:

I'm not a fan of the Wharf at all. I advise vacationers to visit other spots instead. The Wharf is OK for a place to stay, but IMHO it's the tackiest place I've ever seen (I vacation in Europe & other places 2-3 months each year). I was down there recently for a survey. It's worse than I remember from my last visit (I’m a SF native, and have lived in SF or very close by, for 31 of my 57 years). The storefronts were loaded with bracelets, hair bands, key chains, placards, etc with people’s first names on them. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I claim that more than 50% of the shops are T-shirt stores. On the main “Boardwalk” (on Jefferson between Leavenworth & Taylor) there are the trinket shops, the T-shirt stores, a McDonalds, In-N-Out Burger, Hooters, Wax Museum (featuring a wax statue of Brittany Spears out front), a Ripley’s believe-it-or-not , a place called “Rainforest Café” that looks like a theme restaurant but when I looked in, all I could see was t-shirts. I’m not just “cherry picking” the most “gawd-awful” places and describing them – what I just mentioned accounts for probably 85% of the stores along the Wharf Boardwalk. I did not make it over to the Ghirardelli Sq – I hopped on a cable car & got away from the Wharf as fast as possible. Also, there seems to be a lot more parking lots right in the middle of the Wharf than I remember – not very scenic at all.

About the only think I would go to the Wharf for, would be to catch a cable car OUT of the Wharf, or hop on an Alcatraz tour and go OUT of the Wharf.

If you want to see why San Francisco is such a desireable place to live & why we are willing to pay 1 million dollars for a 800 sq ft house in an OK neighborhood, then don't go to the Wharf to try to "discover" the real SF. Shop on Union Sq, Union St, Chestnut St, Filmore St, 24th st, Hayes St, Calif St west of Divisadero, and other places. Eat at restaurants on Union st, Chestnut St, Columbus St (North Beach/Little Italy), Union Sq, etc.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM

From one SF native to another ...Well said StuDudley!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:42 PM

StuDudley had the nerve to say what I didn't. I guess because I have had friends that have gotten rather upset at me when I gently suggest that going to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 is not going to SF. In SF yes, but so many travelers (even from the suburbs around SF) just don't seem to ever go anywhere else but the Wharf.

So Fairway, do read and reread Stud Dudley's post please. You stated that it has been 30 years since you have been to SF.

Would you like some suggestions other than hotels at Fisherman's Wharf? If so I know you will receive a lot of good information here.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Fairway, I agree with previous posters re Fisherman's Wharf area. Our first trip to San Francisco we stayed at the Wharf (Holiday Inn I believe). We now stay in the Union Square area. There's much more to do there, Chinatown a couple of blocks away, theatres and shopping all within a short walk. The wharf area is fine for a visit, a couple of hours would be sufficient. The highlight of our wharf stay was watching the antics of an otter, playing in the water just a couple of feet from shore.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM

>>>Stud Dudley's post please<<

Gee thank's, I think. I hope my wife doesn't read this!!!!

StUUUU Dudley
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Everybody visiting San Francisco should go to Fisherman's Wharf. After that it's your own fault if you find yourself there.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Oh Stu Dudley, I am sooooo sorry, LOL, but hey, be flattered! I will try to be more careful with my typing next time. Do you forgive me?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM

I just got back from Macworld and I had a great time in San Francisco.

I flew into SFO, took the airtrain (look for signs near baggage claim, you will have to walk through the parking garage to the airtrain platform) You can take either the blue or red line to the BART station. Short walk down some stairs. Find the train platform you need, you can get off at Powell exit and you are RIGHT in the heart of the fun. The cable car turn around is right there, Union Sq. is 2 blocks away. It's so easy it's sick. And it's only $4.95!

Don't stay in FW - ick.

Hulagirl
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! to everyone for your advice. Sounds like Union Square is the place to be to sample the true flavor of San Francisco. We are not looking for the 'touristy' things, just good food, shopping, theater, taverns, etc. I will check out the Union Square section of the city - and I am sure I won't be disappointed.