san francisco hotel question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking our 2 teen boys (12&15) to Fisherman's Wharf for 3 days in mid-July. We've currently got reservations at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf and the Argonaut. Our itinerary includes Alcratrz (of course!), a game at Pac Bell and a ferry over to Sausilito. That said, the Hyatt's locale appears to be the best for us (and it's got the pool and hot tub), but the Argonaut sure sounds great. Any opinions from you in the know out there?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Anyone out there????
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM

I've never stayed at either location (but I'm in the midst of planning a SF vacation so your question is on point). I have found lots of great information and plenty of reviews over at tripadvisor.com. People have had some great things to say about the Argonaut.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:29 AM

As a matter of fact, the Argonaut is the most popular SF hotel based on 73 reviews over at Trip Advisor. That's a pretty strong recommendation!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Be very wary of the type of 'poll' info at TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor is chock full of great info for vacation planning, but be aware that people who rate hotels there may have very different taste from yours.

Take note that the TripAdvisor 'ratings' have the Omni and Argonaut rated above the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin, etc.....obviously that tells you something.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Kal

I think with the 2 boys, they'd enjoy the location of the Argonaut.
Plus, the decor of the Argonaut is much better IMHO.

You're still very close to the trolley to take to to SBC, I mean Pac Bell park..or better yet, if it's a day game, leave early and walk all the way down the Embarcadero to the park. A GREAT walk. Take your camera.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

TedTurner, You pointed out exactly why I'm questioning the info! It (the Argonaut) sounds beautiful, to be sure, but is it really worth giving up a more central location and the pool/spa? Thanks to all who've replied so far...
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:44 AM
SEW

I haven't stayed at the Argonaut, but walked by there when we were in SF two weeks ago and thought it was a great location. We were headed to the National Maritime Museum and went onto the NPS Pier. Noticed one of their doormen in interesting attire. Plus it's right next to Gharadelli Square.

I don't know about the Hyatt. Didn't remember seeing it and have never stayed.

Take Kal's advice about walking the embarcadero if the weather is nice, or even if it isn't nice, it's a beautiful walk. We went to a game in early May and the weather was high 70's. We had taken Bart into the city and someone told us to take that walk back to the bart station at Embarcadero. It was good advice.

Make sure you have reservations for Alcatraz and definately do the audio tour. I had never been and really enjoyed it.

To get to the game, you could take the cable car from the turnaround (right next to the Argonaut) to Market Street and walk down to the park. It's an easy walk.

Have fun and enjoy SF, it's beautiful
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM

I don't know the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf but we stayed at the Argonaut last year. I thought of it as more funky/offbeat than beautiful. While we did enjoy the maritime atmosphere of the area and the proximity to the cable cars and to Ghirardelli Square, I would think your boys might enjoy having a pool more.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone...I'm getting down to final decision time...any other input?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:36 AM

I live about an hour from San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf and so have not stayed in these hotels.

I can give you a general idea of the area and of the two hotels.

Fisherman's Wharf is a "touristy" place. Its hotels are the number one destination for most tourists to San Francisco, followed closely by the Union Square area. Union Square is midtown and more for shopping, museums, etc. Whereas Fisherman's Wharf is more family oriented.

Most of the hotels at Fisherman's Wharf are, therefore, rated 3 stars/diamonds rather than 4/5 stars/diamonds.

The Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf is, like almost all the other hotels at Fisherman's Wharf, about 3 or 4 stories high, a square building. There are several hotels in the vicinity, like the Sheraton, the Holiday Inn, etc. which all pretty much look the same from the outside. In other words, this Hyatt is not a "Grand" Hyatt, so don't look for that kind of experience there. It is, however, a very nice and adequate hotel and my friends who have stayed there have been perfectly happy with it. It is at the east end of Fisherman's Wharf and close ot Pier 39, as a previous poster has pointed out. It is also close to the ferry terminal.

The Argonaut is at the west end of Fisherman's Wharf, near the cable car terminal, the Maritime Museum, ghirardelli Square, and a of restaurants that are interesting for the kids: Lori's Diner (in Ghirardelli Square) and the Rainforest Cafe. The Argonaut is - if this can be said - in a "less" touristy part of FW. The Argonaut is fairly new and, a couple of months ago, parts of it were still under construction. It too is not very tall and is a square, block building. The inside of the hotel has very funky nautical themes, which account for its current popularity.

It all depends on how important the pool and hot tub are to you. If you plan to spend some time in either/both, then the Hyatt would be the hotel of choice. Otherwise, the Argonaut has more of a themed approach. Either hotel would be fine.

Hope this helps!

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:15 AM

The Ritz- Carlton was wonderful. We did all of those things that you mentioned on your post and my husband, 12 year old son and myself agree that it was a great vacation. The location is great for the hotel and it is very easy to get anywhere from there. Enjoy!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

easytraveler---thank you! Yours is exactly the type of info I've been hoping for. With such a short time frame, we want to be in the best locale possible and both properties seem to fit the bill. I think I'd prefer the Argonaut and the husband would prefer the Hyatt...the kids will have to cast the deciding votes! Thanks again!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:24 PM

You're welcome! glad you could use the info.

Take Kal's suggestion and use the trolley car which will circle around the Embarcadero and drop you off right in front of the stadium. You can take the trolley back to FW.

If it's a night game, bring jackets and even a blanket. We were there for the July 2 ballgame and we were very glad for the jackets, hats, and blanket!

Try the Gordon Biersch garlic potato fries!

Have a great trip! You'll have a fine time, regardless of which of two very good hotels you choose!