San Francisco Grand Hyatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is going to SF this August and we are staying at the Grand Hyatt near Union Sq.

Mixed reviews on other sites. Has anyone stayed there before and what is it like? It seems nice on the Hyatt website.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM

We have stayed here a number of times on Gold Passport Points. The top couple of floors is the Regency level. Nice views and conierge service. Be sure and request a high floor.

The location of the hotel is excellent on Union Square. We walked everywhere or took the cable cars.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MBnancy.

We were going to book Regency level, but when we went to book, it was sold out. We are checking back every week to see if there are openings. We are also going to ask at check-in.

Your second paragraph also answers another question I had: are the cable cars economical from where the hotel is.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM

We've stayed at the Grand Hyatt too and it was good. Just a regular room on a regular floor - reserved through Priceline. It was comfortable, well appointed.

For transportation, the cable cars are good, although service is limited and lines can be long. Definitely take a ride, but they aren't great for getting all around the city. Fortunately there are plenty of lightrail/subway lines along with streetcars, and buses. Market St (right by Union Square, maybe a block from the hotel) is a major throuroughfare for public transportation. From there, you can get just about anywhere in SF.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
J_Correa pretty much explained things. Cable cars aren't a "budget" way to get anywhere. They are really more a fun activity - don't count on the cable cars to 1) get you around the city or 2) save you any money . . . .
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Hello kellyhayes, the Grand Hyatt is fine and the location is very good. I have no idea where you want to go in SF but it is an easy walk from the Grand Hyatt (which is just across the street from Union Sqaure) to ChinaTown and when you get to Broadway..across Broadway is Columbus which takes you into North Beach.

Going down Stockton (which is the street that the Grand Hyatt is on at the corner of Post) you will just need to walk a couple of blocks to be on Market St. There is the BART Station and also the F Line which is the restored street cars from various cities that runs on Market around the Emcardero to Fisherman's Wharf. Across Market is the SF Centre..the large shopping center that contains Nordstrom's and Bloomingdales plus many smaller stores and of course cafes. South is SOMA (South of Market). The Grand Hyatt will be happy to give you a map and make suggestions so that your time in SF will be enjoyable. I am sure you will be very pleased with the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 10:44 PM

We were happy with the Grand Hyatt when we stayed there, at least I was mainly because of the shopping around Union Sq. Definitely a convenient location. Our room was very nice.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Another one who thinks the Grand Hyatt is fine. I never understood those mixed reviews. Yes, it is a little bit of a business hotel but the rooms are nice and the location is outstanding. I have stayed there both for business and on pleasure trips and have been pleased. I also love that the Starbucks is across the street!!

You probably won't have a car and don't really need one but if you do-a little secret is to park across the street from the hotel in the Sutter-Stockton Parking Garage. Don't remember the exact daily rate but about half the price of valet parking at the hotel.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

We will probably be sightseeing near Fisherman's Wharf, Telegraph Hill, Alcatraz, etc. Nowhere too far away from the hotel.

Also,
how well does the MUNI (i think that is what it is called) worK?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM

If you are oging to take public transportation in San Francisco, the best two things to get are: a) the color transit map (I saw some being sold at Coit tower the other day, so they're probably available in most tourist locations) which costs about $5; and b) the 7-day pass for $15.00 which allows you to travel on almost every mode of transportation SF has to offer.

Grand Hyatt is a great location as others have mentioned.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM

MUNI works really well. Between the buses and lightrail/subway, you will be able to get just about anywhere you want to go. I would definitely get the transit pass and a map - I know they are availible at the visitor's center at the Powell St station, which is close to where you will be.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Stay at the Grand Hyatt every year for our annual Christmas shopping trip and are always very happy except 2 small things:

to have breakfast in the hotel you must eat in the restaurant at the top..very expensive average buffet (fresh squeezed orange juice tho) but city view is great.
Sears, Lori's Diner, Cafe Expresso and other affordable cafes nearby. Starbucks across the street.

The Hyatt gave up the gift/sundries shop across the breezeway. 1 & 1/2 blocks to the drug store for items you can't bring on the plane...

Very nicely situated tho for everything else.

Concierge is excellant...

1/2 Theatre booth right at Union square and many theatres very close....

CAfe Mocha is on nearby Maiden LAne (lunch and cash only) wonderful italian food, tiny inside, outside table if your lucky a street corner opera singer..acoustics are great..
Belden PLace with it's vareity of French bistro cafes not too far as is China town.

On or very near UNion Square is Disney Store, MAcy's (Cheesecake factory top floor)and food court in bottem)

Nearby Westfield San Franciso shopping center with Flagship Nordstrom (highly recommend the Nordstrom Spa)and more shops than you could imagine...with a Food Court downstairs and a upscale grocery store with take out Bristol Farms.
Also a Virgin store..

Just walking the streets around teh square are amazing.

BTW I highly recommend the Chinatown Wok tour..amazing what you learn from a tourguide on wonderful Chineese history culture and the building.
Also recommend the Victorian House tour...one of our own Fodorites DW I believe is a lead tour guide there...

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM

I can speak for location only: safe, convenient for buses, dining, shopping.

As for sightseeing... There is no location from which you can walk everywhere.