San Francisco experts-what to wear to Restaurant Gary Danko

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a day and a half in San Francisco later in the month and we have reservations for dinner at Restaurant Gary Danko. What to wear, what to wear? My husband will have a suit with him (needs it for a fancy dinner at Pine Ridge Winery in Napa Valley). I think he should wear it-he, of course, doesn't want to. I plan on wearing black linen pants and and a gorgeous (if I do say so myself)silk jacket. Help please.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM

I've never been to Gary Danko's but in general things are pretty casual here in California. You might find people wearing jeans in the best of restaurants. My husband has not worn a tie in years..except with his tux. Your linen pants are fine, and so is the jacket as long as you are comfortable. If your husband doesn't want to wear a suit, he shouldn't. After all, no one knows you, and its his body... but in anycase, as long as he doesn't show up in shorts, he's going to be OK. IMO.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:43 AM

As I stated on another thread, we had dinner at the Ritz Carlton on my birthday in June. The Ritz is in the same class as Gary Danko - perhaps even more formal than GD. About 1/3 of the guys there were wearing jeans. The women were dressed much nicer.

At Gary Danko, you will see people with coats & ties, people in business casual, and some jeans. Last time I was at GD I had dark wool slacks & a dress shirt - no tie. In winter, I might wear a blazer with no tie.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Stu is correct. When I've been there I've seen ppl dressed in fine eveningwear as well as jeans and polo shirts. I wouldn't be comfortable being beach shack casual, of course, but they won't turn him away even if he's casual.

Personally, I think the man should dress in a way that complements whatever the woman is wearing. ;-)
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone--my jacket is comfortable and I'll pass along what you all advised to DH. Oh, Stu Dudley--I just ordered the stairway walk book that you recommend from Amazon today. Hope to do at leaset one of them while we're there.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Do more than one - you'll find interesting nooks & crannies that most tourists won't see.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

We'll try. Our time there is very short. Arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Saturday around noon. And we have tickets to the Kahlo show Friday morning. (DH is an artist and wants to see it plus the other exhibits at the museum).