Search

San Francisco city tour

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco city tour

Hi all,

Family of three including a 10 year old. We are taking an SUV from LAX and visiting Sequioa and Kings Canyon for 4 days and then driving down to San Francisco. We will reach in the evening and then have two full days in the city. This is my current plan:
- Take a hotel outside the main city (probably Oakland, SFO airport or Palo Alto areas)
- Day 1 (which is a sunday) - drive into the city and park some place that gives me access to the city attractions. The ones I have on my list at this time are walking around the streets, taking the tram, fisherman's wharf, crooked street, Coit tower. Still some reading up to do.
- Alcatraz is an unknown - looks like it could take 4-5 hours. So, keeping it right now on a watchlist
- Post these, take the car, drive across the Golden Gate bridge. I remember parking just on the other side after crossing the bridge and walking on the bridge a few years ago - not sure if this is possible, that too on a sunday.
- I would like to know what roads one needs to take to see the bridge from a height with the city in the background
- I also remember liking the drive down to Saucalito and walking around the town
That should be a full day and I plan to get back to the hotel.

I don't have anything planned for the 2nd day except maybe the outlet mall for a few hours. Open to any suggestions on the logistics, places to cover, places to stay etc.

Have heard a lot of people say parking inside SFO is expensive. But for three of us plus with plans to drive across the bridge to Saucalito, don't think there is a better option than to pay for parking inside the city.
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:36 AM

Hi,
I really don't think you would feasibly do all of your list in one day, and certainly not with Alcatraz too. Alcatraz is fun and your 10-year-old might really enjoy it. You will want to book the tickets ahead of time because they sell out.

Regarding the rest of your ideas--Coit Tower is in North Beach. Great neighborhood. If you are allowed to take the stairs up to the top of the tower, you should. The interior walls are covered with historic murals. It used to be you needed a special tour to go by stairs, but I read that is changing.

Regarding the tram, I assume you mean the historic cable cars. When we went as a family a few years ago, I was a little surprised by how long the wait was to take the cable cars. We ended up taking it one way only. But there are also the other trolleys that run along the wharf and all the way to the historic ferry building. Those are also fun. And what's nice is, that makes it easy to eat at the Ferry Building, which is much nicer than any meals you will have on the Wharf. At the Wharf, be sure to visit the Musee Mecanique, which is a really fun stop (maybe 1/2 hour or so). No admission fee, but you pay to turn on these cool old mechanical toys.

I enjoy the view from Twin Peaks, but from there you are above a lot of the city and looking out. I am not sure the best place to get the view you are looking for. Hopefully Stu Dudley will post in.

Just an FYI but Sausalito has no "c" in it.

Regarding lodgings, if you have a vehicle, yes, there are only limited lodgings within San Francisco proper that have free parking. There are a few properties that get mentioned on this board. Do a search of past threads. Otherwise, I think staying near SFO allows you closer access to the city than the other options you suggested. I would also add that we ended up staying at Larkspur Landing across the bay, and taking the ferry in to the city one day. We stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott.

Other activities: you might consider the Exploratorium on Pier 15: https://www.exploratorium.edu/ . That would be a good family activity. Include some meandering in Chinatown. Lots to do at Golden Gate Park, including some amazing museums, playgrounds and beautiful grounds.

I would recommend you go into the city one day without a car--arriving either by BART if from SFO area, or by the ferry I mentioned. The second day, bring your car and see the Golden Gate Bridge and if you want to go to Sausalito, do that then. A car would also be helpful when going to Golden Gate Park. I would probably not do the outlet mall with such a short trip.

Last edited by 5alive; May 27th, 2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 27th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks 5alive. Alcatraz is the only variable that could make it a two day visit to the city. Will have to decide in the next week or two as I am looking at July 2nd week visit.

Have heard some good reviews of the exploratorium. I am hoping to skip the outlet mall, fingers crossed. Sausalito it is

Twin peaks looks to be more the city view. Maybe the view of the bridge from a height was shot from a helicopter or drones - lets me read up to see...
Old May 27th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Just saw the post by Stu Dudley on San Francisco sights and visit plans. Looks to be some very useful stuff. Time to read...
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM

I really liked the Alcatraz tour the couple of times I've done it, but with only one or two days, I'd skip it - takes too much time. I'd get myself to the Ferry Building one way or the other (car or public transportation - not sure that's worth it - parking in the city is expensive, but so is R/T on BART) - Day 1 - walk along the Embarcadero,
(with everyone else, if it's a nice day, it'll be busy, in a good way), visit the Ferry Building, Pier 39, Lombard Street, Coit Tower (if you have it in you, walk up the steps from Kearny Street or from Montgomerey Street to get to the base of Coit Tower - San Francisco has MANY "hidden stairways" and they're great), Fisherman's Wharf, walk back through Chinatown. If you have time, and you've driven in, drive up to Twin Peaks for the view. If you've opted to stay in South San Francisco, instead of going back to the hotel quite yet, stay in the city for dinner someplace on 24th Street in Noe Valley. Day 2 - drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, or take the ferry, to Saulsalito, or even better, walk (but if you want to go into Sausalito, walking is not convenient - I just did it a couple of weeks ago). Spend a couple of hours in Sausalito, Drive back into the city and visit something else on your list if you have time.
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:51 AM

Don't stay outside the city. Book a hotel in the Marina District, like the Chelsea Motor Inn or one of their sister properties. Free parking! You will waste so much time trying to drive in the city. Just take public transportation.
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Actually, metered parking is free on Sundays - except in a few designated areas like the Wharf.

The view of the GG Bridge with the city behind is from Cozelman Ave just across the GG ridge in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Details are in my long post. Do this in the afternoon to avoid the sun in your face & downtown & the bridge in shadows. Do not do it on a Sunday when more people will be there. You will have great difficulty parking your SUV on Cozelman - especially on Sunday.

Agree with AustinTraveler about staying in the City on Lombard. Really bad traffic onto the City on Monday and often on Sunday also. BART from SFO will cost 3 people $60. Public transportation from Palo Alto will likely involve 2 different train systems and/or ending in an area that is not near the stuff you want to see. Lombard is a MUCH better option.

Stu Dudley
Old May 28th, 2018, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs. Made a booking at a hotel on Broadway that has free parking and within a few miles of all the attractions. Local transport should solve for tired legs if required.

Stu Dudley, your post wants me to make my San Francisco city tour to be about 10 days!! Thanks for the effort.

- I am planning to skip Alcatraz - 2 days is too short for a visit that should take 4-5 hours atleast.
- The exploratorium sounds like a fun option for my daughter. How long should I plan for this?
- Presidio and Baker beach look interesting for a 2-3 hour stroll in the evening
- Still trying to make a list of must see parts of the GG park
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:12 AM

Rent bikes for Golden Gate Park. Many roads through the park will be closed on Sunday. Parking is VERY difficult on Sundays - especially near the DeYoung. There is a parking garage under the DeYoung - but we've never used it so I don't know if it ever gets full.

The Presidio is huge. I've never considered it to be a place for an evening stroll.

Stu Dudley
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:27 AM

The Presidio is beautiful, for a daytime stroll with great views. It's not a place for an evening stroll (I limit my nighttime strolls to populated areas with open shops and restaurants).

I haven't been the Exploratorium in years, but the kids used to love it. I'm sure it would be fun, but again, for a 2-day trip, I wouldn't spend my daylight hours on any one activity that takes real time to enjoy. The Exploratorium is too expensive for a quick stop-in.

What hotel are you considering?
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, which hotel are you considering. Some can be sketch. Also, which only 3 of you, an SUV is overkill. Even in the mountains.